Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Smiley
Beginner

Reducing acne scars/bumpy skin, is there anything?

Smiley, 15 of August of 2009 at 23:48 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 16

I had acne from age 13 until I fell pregnant at 35, and the skin on my chin (the only place I got acne) is horrible.

It looks really bumpy, and I hate catching my reflection in the mirror as it looks horrible, and photographs are horrible as well. It looks as though i have raised stuble bumps, but it isnt, it is from years of having acne.

is there anything I can use/do to get rid of this? I have tried things in the past, exfoliating, microdermawhatever, but this is really starting to get to me.

I thought I was over it, but I am not. I am sorting out every other area of my life, and this is the one I cant, so I would be interested in knowing if there is anything I can do to get rid of the bumpy skin.

16 replies

Latest activity by Hortan, 21 of May of 2022 at 18:41
  • Ronypoo
    Beginner March 2008
    Ronypoo ·
    • Hide content

Decleor Prolagene gel - helps heal scars, even old ones. You do have to use it reguarly. It took 10 months to fade my stretch marks- but it did the job. Have also used it for a scar on my chin- 5 months on and it's a marked improvement. Good luck.

• evian
    Beginner
    evian ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I to have had acne since my early teens and am still getting the occassional outbreak now at 27. Last year I had a course of chemical peels done. It is a rather costly solution but there was a marked improvement to the suface of my skin, the reduction in scaring and my skin just looks so much better now. I would definitely reccomend having it done. As another option there are a number of companies that now make facial products specifically for acne scarred skin. Environ is very good or there is bio-oil which a friend of mine swears by but i have never used it. My skin used to realy upset me some times to the point that i didn't want to go out ot wouldn't go out tunil i had caked on the make-up but since the chemical peel i and others have seen an improvement but it hink i notice it the most when doing my make-up as i don't have to wear so much. i hope you get it sorted. Good luck.

• sdaisy22
    Beginner October 2008
    sdaisy22 ·
    • Hide content

I've heard bio oil is good although I haven't used it myself. Hope you manage to find a solution.

• em-ster
    Beginner July 2008
    em-ster ·
    • Hide content

Any chance your gp will refer you to an NHS dermatologist?

After 2 years of really strange and depressing bad skin resulting in numerous self help approaches (diet changes, change of make up /skin care products, bio oil, private microdermabrasion) as well as topical and oral treatments prescribed by the GP, I was recently granted audience with a very sympathetic dermatologist.

Ironically my problems seems to be behind me (copious amounts of wood touching going on here) but he did prescribe me what he described as a 'maintenance' product to help with my peace of mind and to keep the further outbreaks at bay. I was worried that he might be less interested as I don' have any 'live' activity to speak of but he clearly recognised how important it was to me not to end up in the wars again. It was really reassuring

Prior to this appointment I had also contacted my local hospital who offer participation in varying dermatological clinical trials - not sure if that might be something you would consider.

From the things I've read my understanding would be that some combination therapy (peel and/ or laser and/or micro dermabrasion) should help smooth things out. somewhere like this might be able to help ? http://www.acnetreatmentcentre.co.uk/acne-treatment-and-products/acne-scarring-treatments.html

Hope you find something that works for you soon ?

• Smiley
    Beginner
    Smiley ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone.

I am lucky in that I dont have the pitted marks or red scars, it just looks as though there is some congestion (for want of a better word) round my mouth/chin.

Its hard to describe, I guess maybe like colourless nettlerash? (does that make sense?)

I am sure it is scaring from years of acne, or something. I tried biooil, but it didnt smooth it out. I just feel I need something more. I am unsure if it is hormonal or not, though I guess there is a possibility.

I have been lucky in that since I was pregnant with my LO (she is now 2 and a half) I havent had any flare ups to the level they were before (my wedding day I was a picture. Had to buy very expensive makeup to cover it).

These bumps really do get me down, as straight on you cant really see them but the minute the light catches my chin it just looks bumpy. I guess it is better than what it used to be, but it still gets me down as I crave for lovely smooth clear skin, and 26 years on I still dont have it.

Will look at the things you have all recommended, hopefully one of them will do the trick.

Thank you for taking the time to answer. x

• A
    Beginner March 2012
    acnesolution ·
    • Hide content

Find effective products here: http://acneskinsite.com/ and it will help you get rid of it

• laineywhu
    Beginner July 2010
    laineywhu ·
    • Hide content

I have quite a few scars on my face from acne and I swear by bio oil, it has done so much for my skin, you can hardly notice the scars anymore, and the bottle lasts forever!

• tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content

Poundland sell rescue remedy which is exactly the same ingredients as bio oil only a quid!

I've been using witch doctor gel on my spots and it's a miracle. I've also been using dove pro renew moisturiser for the scarring on my neck and it does seem to be fading.

• Cookie Galore
    Beginner November 2009
    Cookie Galore ·
    • Hide content

And yet another year old thread that's been bumped up by useless spammers. I just replied on another one before I realised the age of the thread. Tis getting boring now. Oh, well, hope the information on the thread helps someone despite the reason for it being back on the front page.

• tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content

Blimey, just looked back and you're right...what a bloomin waste of typing!

• Roobarb
    Beginner January 2007
    Roobarb ·
    • Hide content

I was reading this thinking "eh? Smiley's daughter's over 3 now!" ?

sod off spammers

• D
    Deshaun ·
    • Hide content

Keratosis Pilaris is a very common, but relatively unknown skin condition that affects over 50% of the world population. Most of those with this condition do not even know it. Keratosis pilaris causes small, acne-like bumps, which usually appear on the upper arms, legs or buttocks; they usually don't hurt or itch. Keratosis pilaris can also appear on the face, where it closely resembles acne Home remedies for keratosis pilaris are...

*Mix equal parts Sugar and Olive Oil and stir together, then use as a body scrub for the areas affected with Keratosis Pilaris. This body scrub should be made fresh, and used once a week.

*Use an anti Dandruff shampoo as a body wash. This helps to improve Keratosis Pilaris for many people, but not everyone. Try it a few times to see if you see any improvement. If you do, continue using this treatment 2-3 times per week.

• D
    Deshaun ·
    • Hide content

Keratosis pilaris can also appear on the face, where it closely resembles acne. Although these bumps are quite harmless, it could affect a person's self confidence and could reduce a person's quality of lifestyle. Keratosis pilaris is particularly prevalent in those who are overweight, or have celtic backgrounds, atopic dermatitis or ichthyosis. Is keratosis pilaris treatable? Of course. Here are some possible home remedies for this condition.keratosis pilaris home remedy are...

*Mash a ripe banana. Mix with 1 tsp of tamarind pulp and a pinch of salt. Take twice a day.

*Drink a cup of strong black tea or coffee. It is very effective in controlling diarrhea.

*Soak 2 -3 tsp coriander seeds overnight in half a cup of water. Make a coarse paste mix in a glass of butter milk and drink.

for more

http://www.speedyremedies.com/home-remedies-for-keratosis-pilaris.html

• L
    LuxuriousOrangeDecor72433 ·
    • Hide content

Important to remove excess oil, dirt, and sweat daily so properly wash your face. Stay hydrated and apply limit makeup.

• R
    Beginner May 2021 South Yorkshire
    Rosie ·
    • Hide content

I have fair skin and have a lot of acne scars which are very dark, so clearly there are very visible. I have only been using Dermalmd Scar Serum for 2 weeks now and I have noticed that the dark black scars have lightened quite a bit.

• H
    Beginner June 2018 Greater Manchester
    Hortan ·
    • Hide content

Reducing acne scars or bumpy skin can be difficult, but there are a few things you can do to help improve the appearance of your skin. Exfoliating regularly can help to remove dead skin cells and help reduce the appearance of scars as well as Neurodermitis Ursachen . There are a variety of exfoliating products on the market, so find one that works best for your skin type.

If you have stubborn scars, you may want to try laser treatment. Laser treatments can help to break down scar tissue and promote new collagen production, which can lead to smoother, healthier skin. There are also a number of topical treatments that can help to fade scars and improve the overall appearance of your skin. Talk to your dermatologist about which option may be best for you.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics