Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner June 2014

Registrar only available at not great times :(

laura269, 3 of September of 2013 at 09:33 Posted on Planning 0 21

We're in a quandary!

We've just provisionally booked our wedding venue for 28th June next year and I know in wedding terms this is quite short term.

Anyway, I called the registrar yesterday to book them only to be told the only available time slots are 11:30am, 3pm or 4:30pm. I went for 3pm but on telling my H2B he said we should go for 11:30 as 3pm is going to make the day rushed.

I do see what he is saying but feel 11:30 is too early. We'll be in a mad rush to get ready (I want to enjoy that bit!) and worry there will be loads of gaps of time where our guests will get bored. BUT, 3pm will make everything so rushed.

After advice as to what you would do?? Thank you in advance x

21 replies

Latest activity by Tizzie, 3 of September of 2013 at 23:04
  • *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

I think definitely go for the 3pm slot.

I think 11:30 is too early - not just because you'll feel rushed, but it'll make the day quote long for your guests too.

• MrsBoo
    Beginner November 2014
    MrsBoo ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Are your reception and ceremony at the same place?

I think you have made the right choice with 3pm, the day will have a nice pace without any hanging around. Don't forget it will still be light until around 9-10pm so that will lengthen the day too.

I went to a wedding this year and the church ceremony was at 2pm and the reception venue was 25minutes away so by the time the ceremony was over and we had all arrived at the venue it was around 3.30pm anyway, the day didn't feel rushed whatsoever.

We are having a church ceremony at 12pm, the only reason is because the other choice was 2pm and we are getting married in November so the later we left it the less photos we would get in the day light...but I am worrying that the day will feel too long for our guests.

I would definitely stick with the 3pm.

x

• C
    Beginner November 2013
    clareio ·
    • Hide content

Our choice for every saturday between now and the date we got was 10am, 11am or 5:30pm.

we have managed to get 12:00 on 16th November and that was booking at the beginning of last october!

i'd go for 3pm if i were you, or if you're really bothered, try and find a date venue and registrar are available at a more practical time!!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Im Getting married at 3pm

our day runs like this

3pm ceremony

3:20 -5pm drinks reception and photos

5pm dinner

7pm -12 evening reception

I don't think that is rushed!

if you get married at 11:30 you/your guests will have to be up super early to get ready and travel plus you will may have a gap in the middle of the afternoon that you may need to fill to keep guests entertained.

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

I agree, 3pm is perfect. Plenty of time to get ready and it will run smoothly. You'll be surprised! I've been to weddings that started early and there was loads of hanging around and everyone went home early because they were tired and that put a real dampenere on the evening reception

• Chippet
    Beginner January 2014
    Chippet ·
    • Hide content

Is the ceremony and reception at the same venue? If so I think 3pm is perfect. Earlier weddings are best for church weddings where the ceremony is longer and there is travelling involved.

I'm going to a wedding that starts at 11am and as a guest I'm worried its going to be a long day.

Were getting married at 2pm, but ours is in January, so don't have light on our side for photos, you'll have no problems with that.

• Guy Wade
    Guy Wade ·
    • Hide content

3pm will be fine. As others have said, everything will flow with no gaps for the guests.

Just make sure you have a detailed plan for the day. (But every wedding needs that).

• MischiefMumma
    Beginner August 2014
    MischiefMumma ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married at 11am. We're having the ceremony and the reception in the same place. We're getting married in August last year but the registrar only had 11am or 4.30pm left. I didnt want to leave it that late. The way I see it, I want it to be the longest day of my life, and call me selfish but the guests are there to see us!?

• H
    Beginner May 2014
    Helybel ·
    • Hide content

I think go for 3pm. We're getting married at 2 but I wouldn't have wanted it any earlier, think some guests, especially the children might have gotten a little bit bored. 3 is a good time, just have your timings all organised so it runs nice and smoothly Smiley smile

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

My timings were almost exactly the same as Funky is having. I got married at 3pm and it went perfectly smoothly and there were no big gaps or rushed bits. 11.30 is too early. You will need to feed people twice IMO. You couldn't expect people to miss lunch and wait until 5ish for the meal.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Until deregulation where civil weddings were allowed in places other than town halls, weddings were all between 0900 and 1300.

I have done a few 0900 weddings in my time....

Deregulation when it happened was long overdue.....

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

3pm is perfect if all at the same venue. My wedding was at 3 - we could have had earlier but conscious that people prefer late venues - and 3-12 is still a 9 hour day

• C
    Civil Ceremonies ·
    • Hide content

I'm beginning to wonder if it might be better to book a wedding date a few years hence and then find a fella!

• emmiejune
    Beginner December 2013
    emmiejune ·
    • Hide content

We have chosen 3pm as well and having gone through the timings with the venue it all seems fine to me! Never been a fan of all the waiting around as a guest personally so didn't want it at our wedding :-) It also gives some of our guests from further afield the opportunity to travel on the day and only stay one night!

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

I got married at 3pm and it was absolutely fine, not rushed at all.

• F
    Beginner September 2014
    future.mrs.c ·
    • Hide content

I would go for 3pm. Think it would be quite a rush to get ready for 11.30. Also your have to keep guests entertained so will prob cost more. At least if its 3pm it will just flow nicely into the evening reception Smiley smile

Good luck

• Nicky Hewitt Designs
    Beginner May 2012
    Nicky Hewitt Designs ·
    • Hide content

We got married at 3pm too- it was our preferred time anyway as I've been to a few 3pm weddings and always found them a good length, without the afternoon lull that can sometimes happen with earlier weddings. We certainly didn't feel rushed- If anything our wedding day felt very relaxed as there was plenty of time to eat properly, relax and get ready without getting stressed, and the timings for ceremony & reception felt smooth and quite natural. So I am biased perhaps but 3pm was great for us ?

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

Ours is at 3pm and flowing much the same as Funky's. We actually wanted slightly later since it's all in one place and at one point weren't going to do a separate evening reception but now it's booked and I can visualise the timings for everything it seems pretty ideal.

• HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

Another 3pm wedding here. Totally agree with what has been said about the structure of the day working well having the ceremony at this time with less waiting around - although , saying that we might move it forward to 2.30pm if the church is agreeable as we have a 20 drive from church to reception venue.

Having a mid afternoon wedding was a conscious decision on our part because lots of the guests will be travelling to the West Country from Yorkshire and we didn't want to put them under pressure to come down the Friday night and pay for an extra night's accommodation.

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

I booked 11.30am for us. We were early we ended up married and out by 11.30! Apparently i was the earliest a bride had ever turned up! I could have quite easily gone for the other slot (10am) I was so excited I was ready to leave the house about 9am.

We had different timings though. We had our ceremony (us and 6 guests), some photos, visit one of Hs relatives, went to a different location, had a few more photos, had lunch (6 of us), went home and had a sleep (I was quite ill) then had a night reception from 7-12 (although everyone turned up about 6!)

For our timings it was important to have an early ceremony so I could have a rest if I needed it. Although I loved getting married early. I'd have gone crazy waiting till the afternoon!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics