Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner August 2023 Staffordshire

Save the dates?

Amber, 20 of February of 2022 at 16:45 Posted on Planning 0 7
We've been engaged over 2 years now, finally booked our venue for 11th August 2023, so 18 months away. I have read save the dates should be given out 4 to 6 months prior, however our guest list isn't massive (50 day with another 10 at night) and with it being August I imagine many would have or will have holidays etc so we thought about sending them now to give people chance.ce to boom around it. Guest list is mostly family, with friends were known for 10+ years so unlikely anyone would be uninvited! So couple of questions;

Is 18 months too early to send save the dates?
We haven't decided on colours, themes, invite or name place design do we need to have the same or can we do save the dates, then change style for the others nearer the time or would that be silly look terrible?!

7 replies

Latest activity by Charlotte, 22 of February of 2022 at 12:56
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    The 4-6 months is for your actual invites, for save the dates I would send 12-18 months before, especially being in August and with the way things have been last 2 years people may well be looking to book a big holiday in 2023. If you don't have a theme you could either decide on one or just send simple white and gold/silver save the dates. I don't think people will be worried if you change the scheme later as plenty of time.
  • T
    Rockstar May 2022 Oxfordshire
    Tamsin ·
    • Hide content
    I agree, 12-18 months is a good time frame for save the dates
  • A
    Savvy June 2023 Essex
    Alison ·
    • Hide content

Yep, we are going to send our save the dates as soon as they are printed, probably around May. Wedding August 2023

• A
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content

We sent ours 18months in advance, as soon as we booked the venue, for all the absolute must have guests - for the same reason as you, not wanting anyone to book a summer holiday over our wedding. Have held back about 10 spots which we'll decide on about a year in advance as aren't as certain on these. We're also going for 50 people so want to be really sure on who we invite and so anyone that wasn't an absolute no brainer we're giving ourselves a few more months thinking time.

We used postcards for our save the dates (as we're getting married in Cornwall on a beach, so it felt appropriate as it's like a mini holiday!), and didn't fret too much about the colours we used for these. The formal invites will be in our official colour scheme.

• xkimx007
    Beginner October 2022 South Yorkshire
    xkimx007 ·
    • Hide content

Agree with what has been said above. We sent our Save the Dates 12 months before as it was also during school holidays (and informally mentioned it to those with kids before this to be on the safe side). Actual invites sent 6 months prior so there's time to collect RSVPs and menu choices etc. So I would say you still have a couple of months to decide on themes etc. if it is important to you that these are all consistent.

• Hannah
    Dedicated September 2023 South West London
    Hannah ·
    • Hide content

Hiya Amber,

I'm Hannah from the Hitched team and I just did a live Q&A on our Instagram page: Hitcheduk about Save the Dates! Absolutely you can send Save the Dates now and I would recommend sending out your invites no less than 8 weeks before the day of the wedding.

I'd love to give you a 25% discount across our Hitched Stationery range for your Save the Dates!

To get this limited offer discount- apply the code: VDAY25 at checkout.

This offer is valid from 14th Feb 2022 to 28th Feb 2022, closing at 23:59pm.

Please feel free to reply to this thread if you want any design advice across our range!

Hannah X

• C
    Beginner August 2022 Hertfordshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    I don’t think it’s too early, especially being August. We hadn’t decided on a theme/colour scheme so we just did a Polaroid style invite with a photo of our engagement with the date and venue. Save the dates are usually very simple anyway!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics