Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Burnett soon to be Sneddon
Beginner January 2013

Scottish/English

Burnett soon to be Sneddon, 28 March, 2012 at 17:15 Posted on Planning 0 17

Hi There!

Just starting to try an organise our wedding and h2b is Scottish whereas I am English. As we live in Scotland we will be getting married here and he and the grooms men will be wearing kilts. We would still like to incorporate something English into the theme so there is a bit of me in there! Anyone any suggestions on a good way to do this without the 2 themes majorly clashing?

Thanks!

17 replies

Latest activity by *sweetpea*, 11 April, 2012 at 14:00
  • pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You could do the whole afternoon tea and scones/strawberries and cream thing, or go for mini fish n' chips instead of evening buffet. Bunting with English and Scottish flags? It depends how overt you want the theme to be really.

• ButterflyChild
    Beginner May 2013
    ButterflyChild ·
    • Hide content

Hi there! I'd definitely opt for cream tea!!! Its so English!! I am English too, H2B is Northern Irish and to be honest I never thought about putting a bit of my 'Englishness' into the wedding!! I should!

• mummymrs2b
    Beginner April 2013
    mummymrs2b ·
    • Hide content

I would say scones and tea is a good English thing to do x

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

Have a red and white them along with the kilts.

Has he picked his tartan?

• greenleaf
    greenleaf ·
    • Hide content

My wedding was mixed we had thistle and rose theme

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

ooooh this. Definately this.

I have ivory roses and thistles but Red roses would do well for an english/scottish thing.

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

I'm Scottish and OH is English ( Yorkshire ) so thistles and white roses was decided without us even discussing it really, but I will be adding other colours/flowers as I want my flowers to look brighter with it being a summer wedding.

Strangely enough its my OH that seems to be pushing for us to add a bit more "Scottishness" into the day.

Regards

L x

• L
    Beginner April 2013
    laura9889 ·
    • Hide content

We have the same problem my MIL is trying to make everything Scottish! We're having a bagpiper and there wearing kilts and the men are having thistles button holes ! And she wanted me to have tablet as favours! Grrrrrr!

I have booked a red double decker London bus tho!

• Dana_leigh
    Beginner August 2013
    Dana_leigh ·
    • Hide content

My mum married a scots man and had white roses with thistles incorporated into her bouquet and my step dad wore a thistle as a button hole, then changed it to a thistle with english white rose afterwards which I thought was quite cute.

Sometimes its the little things which make it special

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

As a Scottish person I have to say you'd need some thick skinned Morris Dancers as it is generally a source of amusement for us, sorry! Men here get laughed at for wearing skirts so we laugh at men dancing with hankies ?

My cousin married an English man and they named their tables after horses that won the Grand National. He wore a suit then changed into a kilt as a surprise during the band's break.

Maybe you could serve some nice English cider or Pimms?

Or have some personalised stuff like the royal wedding memorabilia...

...ok so you probably don't want that but I wanted an excuse to share that picture!

• Burnett soon to be Sneddon
    Beginner January 2013
    Burnett soon to be Sneddon ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your replies i'm definitely liking the rose and thistle idea and it would tie in with the colour scheme as my h2b will be wearing the Pride of Scotland tartan so going for purple for brides maids etc and also liking the Football table idea both me and my h2b are footy fans and both our families so may be a fun thing for the evening will see what he thinks!

Thanks!

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

Ijust wanted to pop in and say hi to a fellow soon to be Sneddon!! I love the idea of the rose and thistle theme, you could have them as the buttonholes for the grooms as well. Sneddon's don't have their own tartan so my OH went for a slate grey/black combo Smiley smile

• Burnett soon to be Sneddon
    Beginner January 2013
    Burnett soon to be Sneddon ·
    • Hide content

Has anyone got any ideas on where I can find drawings of Roses & Thistles to use on wedding stationery as planning on do it myself?

• B
    Beginner August 2012
    BatsGirl ·
    • Hide content

Friend is in s aimilar boat (she's the Scot), they are doing afternoon tea and top hat/tails but tartan on dresses etc and Scots men in kilts. There will be tablet (who can resist it?!).

• CIAPhotography
    CIAPhotography ·
    • Hide content

A good way to combine your Scottish/English backgrounds would be to maybe use Union Jacks? I have seen union jack flags at weddings for centre pieces and I have also seen union jack favours. I have photographed a lot of English/Scottish couples.

How about table names with places from Scotland and England? And yes, Tablet!

• R
    Beginner September 2012
    rock-on ·
    • Hide content

We are in similar position, I'm English & H2B is Scottish. We are also planning on the Rose / Thistle combo. I am having a bit of a dilema over my dads outfit. H2B, his dad, best man and ushers will all be in kilts...my dad isn't convinced he wants to wear a kilt. If he doesn't wear one then I don't know how to make him feel a part of the wedding party (aside from button hole)...any ideas?

• *sweetpea*
    Beginner July 2012
    *sweetpea* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would say that up in Scotland (glasgow certainly but not exclusively) the union jack has very distinct religious/football/biggoted connotations unfortunately. It's strange but I don't associate myself at al with the union jack and wouldn't see it as a mutual Scottish/English thing. I know it's not, but to me that flag is quite english. I love the flower idea and think that so much of the day will be indistinct in terms of culture that a few wee touches make recognition of it without it turning into a full on theme!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics