Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner August 2013

Security for wedding reception?

Peppr Potts, 13 March, 2012 at 16:12 Posted on Planning 0 8

I was just having another look through the brochure and sample contract from the venue we're probably going to book and notice it says there is a compulsory charge for security staff at all evening receptions.... this seemed a bit odd and OTT to me, i've never been to a wedding that has had bouncers on the door! Has anybody else encountered this?

8 replies

Latest activity by *Ducky*, 14 March, 2012 at 08:46
  • pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Is it a posh venue that maybe celebs have used? Ours had a footballer use it apparently, so maybe that clause is for someone like that!

• P
    Beginner August 2013
    Peppr Potts ·
    • Hide content

It's posher than the one we originally had planned to use but not uber posh and not a celeb hang out as far as i know!

I'll send an email at some point to ask them if that's true for all weddings but i'd only just sent them one when i noticed it and i feel like i'm hounding them as it is!

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

That is a bit strange!! which venue is it or what type of venue? only because some venues (not necessarily wedding venues) have security no matter what event...for example i have just run a 'charity ladies afternoon' at a cocktail bar/club in sheffield...we had the whole place to ourselves and it was very tame 'cocktails, stalls, entertainment' 2-6pm in the afternoon and they decided to put a security guard on the door even though we said we wouldn't need one and they covered this cost.... so maybe your venue have had some trouble in the past whereby no matter what the event they have security. In saying that i would say that this is a cost that they need to cover not you! it's their choice to protect their property not yours so i would question it if you are expected to pay! security can be very expensive! x

• P
    Beginner August 2013
    Peppr Potts ·
    • Hide content

It's just a hotel - the Maes Manor in Blackwood.

I probably wouldn't mind so much if it was a really big wedding or anything but it's only going to be 50 people in the day and then 80 people in the evening.

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

Well then i think they are being a tad OTT with that amount of people!!

if they want security there, they should pay!

• S
    Beginner June 2012
    steph2325 ·
    • Hide content

Hia,

We have to pay for security too- we have been told that it is to d with their alcohol/entertainment license? don't know how much truth is in that... i didn't give it much thought a the time.

x

Beginner July 2013
    *Loula** ·
    • Hide content

Yes we have to pay for evening security aswell - think its about £120. Our venue is National Glass Centre in Sunderland. Its a fab venue and soooo pleased we have it booked so dont mind although I did think it a little strange when the events manager told us.

• xtlcx
    Beginner May 2012
    xtlcx ·
    • Hide content

Another Sunderland Bride over here ?

We've got to have security at our evening reception it's in with the price tho

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

My reception is a marquee at my parents home. We are having security. Just for peace of mind.

However, I do have a select few undesirable cousins (lord know how we are related) who are estranged from 'the rest' of their family but still live locally. One has been to prison for arson, and another was in court for GBH because someone looked at his girlfriend. Needless to say I haven't seen them for years and they aren't invited, but that doesn't mean they don't know where we live or that the wedding is happening and won't try an turn up for free food and drink etc.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics