Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner July 2026 Nottinghamshire

Should i invite my dad to my wedding?

Claire, 7 of May of 2023 at 23:47 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 9
For context, I was quite close to both of my parents, and whilst we were all living together, my dad had an affair and left to be with the other woman quite suddenly. It took myself, my brother and my mum a lot of time to come to terms with him leaving and dealing with the massive change to our lives.
This was around five years ago, and my mum has recently met someone new and is very happy. I am still extremely close to my mum, and whilst me and my dad are getting on better, I rarely see him.

So do I invite him to my wedding? I know it will make my mum feel uncomfortable to see him again and I know she will hide it, but the last thing I want is to cause her stress, after everything she went through. ( She hasn’t seen or spoken to him since he left) My dad has also recently married the woman he left my mum for, and although I’m happy that he is happy… the last thing I want to do is meet her let alone invite her to my wedding.
Writing this out, it seems that my heart doesn’t want to invite him.
However, he is still my dad, and I think he will be really hurt if I don’t invite him, and maybe we would never recover.
Please, has anyone else been in a similar situation with a similar dilemma?X

9 replies

Latest activity by Felix, 9 of November of 2023 at 09:33
  • N
    Beginner July 2023 South East London
    Nem ·
    • Hide content
    Hi Claire, sorry that this happened to you. I don’t have a relationship with my father due to his actions in the past so he won’t be at mine. I think, in the build up to your wedding, if someone is going to make you feel overly stressed & nervous then you shouldn’t do it. I don’t see you being comfortable with your dad coming unless possibly you have a few events before the wedding where your mum and dad are in the same space, so you can suss out the vibe & see if your mum is ok with it. But having it all play out on your actual day seems like an unnecessary risk. I feel slightly bad for your dad because he will be upset to not be invited, but i don’t think you should invite him out of obligation. Only invite him if you would be genuinely sad that he isn’t there. And I’d definitely try to set up some kind of pre event I’d you do (maybe even just an engagement dinner well ahead of the wedding). But if you decide not to, maybe just explain your reasons to him and promise to do a dinner with him separately to celebrate or something!
  • D
    Beginner July 2023 New York
    Donald ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Deciding whether or not to invite your father to your wedding is a deeply personal choice, and there isn't a one-size-fits-all answer. It's understandable that you have conflicting emotions about this situation, given the history with your dad and the impact his actions had on your family. Ultimately, you should make a decision that feels right for you and aligns with your own feelings and values.

Consider the following factors when making your decision:

Your Relationship with Your Dad: Evaluate your current relationship with your dad. Has there been significant progress in repairing your mybkexperience relationship since he left? Do you genuinely want him to be a part of your special day, or would his presence cause you more stress or discomfort?

Your Mother's Feelings: Take into account your mother's perspective and how she might feel about your father being present at the wedding. While it's admirable that you want to protect her from any unnecessary stress, it's also essential to acknowledge that you have the right to invite whoever you choose to your wedding. Communicate openly with your mom about your intentions, and try to understand her thoughts and emotions on the matter.

Future Consequences: Consider the potential long-term impact of your decision. If you decide not to invite your father, it could strain your relationship further, and it may be difficult to mend it afterward. On the other hand, inviting him doesn't guarantee an immediate reconciliation, and it's crucial to be prepared for any emotions or complications that may arise from his presence.

• C
    Claire ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is really helpful, thanks a lot! I think the pre wedding meet up is a great idea. I think I will do that first and see how it goes. Thanks again x
  • C
    Claire ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much for you message. It is really helpful and I’ve got a lot of thinking to do. I really appreciate you splitting it all up into more manageable thought processes x
  • Romanticpurplediamonds32382
    Dedicated April 2022 East Riding of Yorkshire
    Romanticpurplediamonds32382 ·
    • Hide content
    Well I was in a similar situation luckily both my parents found other people but what I did is sat them down separately and told them I wanted them both at the wedding and the first sign of trouble they would be out , I think if you didn't include your dad based on your mum's feelings she may or may not have on the day , will you regret it further down the line?
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

You need to make the decision based on what works best for you. While I 100% understand and sympathise with your desire not to upset your mum, I think that if you exclude your dad to keep your mum happy, you may end up resenting her in the long term.

Spend some time imagining your wedding, and how you will feel if your dad is there - and if he isn't. Think through the potential problems and benefits of each decision. You need to know whether you want your dad there. It might help to talk through your options with your OH, or perhaps with a close friend you can trust not to be biased.

If you decide you don't want him there, then I would make the effort to see him in person and explain that while you still love him, you would find it too painful to have him attend your wedding as it would bring back so many hurtful memories. Yes, that will be really upsetting for him, but it is a consequence of the choices he has made in the past - hopefully, he will understand this.

If you decide you want to invite him, think through how you might want to manage it - what role you would want him to have and what boundaries you want in place. Talk to your mum and see how she feels about it. Don't ask her if she is ok with him coming as it will then be very difficult to refuse if she says she doesn't want him there - tell her that he is coming and ask her what you can do to make it easier for her. With that knowledge in place, invite your dad, being clear about your expectations, e.g. not bringing new girlfriend, not giving a speech, not walking you down the aisle or whatever other 'rules' you feel are necessary. Do stress that this is because you would find it too painful/difficult - you don't want him to think you are using your wedding to 'punish' him for leaving.

Best wishes working this out - the right answer will be different for everyone, but with some time and thought, you will navigate it xxx

• Stephanie
    Beginner October 2025 Powys
    Stephanie ·
    • Hide content
    I'm sorry this has happened to you, it also happened to me. My Dad had an affair and is still with that woman, my Mum never really got over it.
    Would it possible to just let him come to the reception if you're having one? Or maybe just the ceremony then nothing afterwards?

If not, I agree with previous comments that maybe keep them on separate tables. That's what I'll be doing. Maybe speak to fiance/friends/family members and venue staff that if drama goes down that they can help instead of stressing you out. It might make the anxiety a little less.
    The top comments laid it out so well on what to think about. My wedding co-ordinator said to me "if you have to um-and-err about a guest, don't invite them. Weddings are stressful enough."
    Best of luck, remember this day is for you and your partner! ☺️
  • Sarah
    Rockstar August 2024 West Midlands
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    Sorry you’re in such a difficult situation. But I think you have also made your own mind up. Nobody on here will truly appreciate the severity of the situation and the hurt you once felt, and probably still do. On top of that, making sure your mum, the priority is comfortable and happy, especially when she’s always been there for you by the sounds of it.
    It’s difficult, as it is your father and he probably will be hurt but maybe a conversation is what you need x
  • Terri
    Curious May 2025 West Yorkshire
    Terri ·
    • Hide content
    Hi, I’ve got no real advice as I’ve not been in that situation and genuinely don’t know what I would do. However, when reading your post, something stuck out to me. Forgive me if I read it wrong, but your dad re married… and you say you don’t want to meet his new wife… so does that mean you weren’t invited to their wedding since you’ve not met her? Because if that’s the case, your dad can’t be too upset, he didn’t invite you to his! If you chose not to go it’s a bit different however I’d say the reason you chose not to go, could also be used as the explanation as to why you won’t be inviting them to yours (if that makes sense). We did our guest list recently and we agreed before putting pen to paper, that if there was somebody one of us hadn’t met, they aren’t significant enough for an invite! x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics