Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

The Sock Chicken
Beginner August 2010

SImple and inexpensive nibble ideas please

The Sock Chicken, 30 of August of 2010 at 09:31 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 11

Good Morning.

We havesome friends coming over this evening for some nibbles. The original plan was for them to come at lunchtime so was going to do sandwiches, salad, crisps & dip etc. Now they are coming this evening, so planned to do hot nibbles instead. I may get a few of the Tesco frozen party food bits, but they don't have that much choice, and not really that exciting.

So I wondered if anyone had any ideas for any not too expensive or complicated nibbles I could make. I was thinking of still having dips & crisps, potato wedges, and halloumi wrapped in pancetta. Any other ideas?

11 replies

Latest activity by The Sock Chicken, 30 of August of 2010 at 16:58
  • thefuturemrsclarke
    Beginner July 2010
    thefuturemrsclarke ·
    • Hide content

Morningm zippy. iceland do some really good party things if tescos dont have much. i always like the mini hamburgers . and the mini chesecakes from iceland are good to x

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

Ooo I didn't think of Iceland. I was going to try Waitrose, but wasn't sure if it was wrong time of yr for parties. Then I just wondered if I could make stuff myself.

• thefuturemrsclarke
    Beginner July 2010
    thefuturemrsclarke ·
    • Hide content

I always go iceland for party stuff. they have various platters for a fiver each and loads of nibbly bits. not sure what waitrose do tho, i dont have 1 of those near me x

• Jay-Low
    Beginner
    Jay-Low ·
    • Hide content

Another vote for iceland. the platters are only a fiver. and the mini dessert platters are delish!!

• Cookie Galore
    Beginner November 2009
    Cookie Galore ·
    • Hide content

I think most of the larger supermarkets do nibbly things on their deli counter, like mini samosas, pakoras, spring rolls, that sort of thing. I'm quite partial to blinis with cream cheese and smoked salmon and they take seconds to fling together if you pre-buy the blinis. Little melba toasts would work instead if you couldn't find them. And for utter retro-cheese-fest my H won't let me do anything even remotely nibbly without including cocktail sausages on sticks. A work function once served that as nibbles but had the sausages coated in some sort of honey mustard glaze and served in a hollowed out loaf with sticks at the side rather than a stick in each sausage so a bit posher. I'm rambling now as starving!

• Shnarfy1
    Beginner November 2010
    Shnarfy1 ·
    • Hide content

I would agree with Iceland party bits, they are really tasty but you can get the same kind of stuff in Tescos, Asdas etc. Things like duck spring rolls, samosas, prawn toast things. Yummy.

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

I will have a look. I fancied haing a go at maing some thins myself too. But not sure what!

• Daisy82
    Beginner
    Daisy82 ·
    • Hide content

Could you do mini pizzas etc. You could make a big batch of pizza dough and then make little ones yourself. I like the halloumi idea. I love that cheese x

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

I have been shopping, and my buffet menu is:

Halloumi wrapped in pancetta

Asparagus spears wrapped in pancetta

Potato wedges made with cajun spice

Lightly salted Doritos

Various dips and sweet chilli sauce

Tesco mini Indian Selection

Tesco mini Chinese Selection