Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner

Slander? Defemation of character? so worried please help if you can

Pipkins Pig, 3 December, 2009 at 18:25 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 5

Hi, theres a male colleague at work who is a womaniser, he undresses you with his eyes etc. Last year he and I were talking and i said "excuse me whilst I go the loo", he replies "ohh can I come with you??". I chose to ignore it and thought try something like that again and i will have you in with the manager.

Any way another male colleague and I were talking months later and he mentioned the topic about crude sexual advances in the work place and before i knew it i put my trust in this colleague and told him about the incident with the other one last year. I never thought much more about it cos this colleague is very trustworthy and a confident (SP?). HOW WRONG WAS I.

Fast forward to today, trusted colleague and pervy colleague are off work however another colleague says to me that pervy colleague has found out i told on him to another colleague. Im now thinking, can i be done for defimation of character or even slander (even tho i know it was true).

im so worried please are there any solicitors here please?

thank you.

5 replies

Latest activity by chrismastrey, 10 December, 2009 at 16:24
  • HuskyGirl
    Beginner May 2006
    HuskyGirl ·
    • Hide content

I'm no expert but i'd say he's in the wrong. A bloke at my work was in trouble for saying similar to one of my colleagues. She went to our manager and he isn't allowed to work alone with her anymore.

• A
    Beginner August 2007
    alison76 ·
    • Hide content

Total over reaction on your part.

What context did you tell "trusted colleague". If it was just a general chat and not a management meeting then, whilst it's not great diplomacy, there's nothing to stop him from telling "pervy" colleague what you said.

And so what if pervy colleague knows? It means he's less likely to say something similar. If you'd had a problem with the comment when it was made you should have challenged him there and then or had a word with your manager/HR.

• M
    Mexicana ·
    • Hide content

Blimey, that was a harsh response alison76. All employers/workplaces differ and your comments were very tough on someone who is obviously worried.

I would have a quick word with your HR contact or Union Rep if you're concerned - there's no harm in knowing exactly where you stand, just in case, even if it's just for peace of mind.

I think in many workplaces, things are said in jest and can have sexual references however people need to know when to draw the line.

HTH

• B
    Beginner
    BenP ·
    • Hide content

I'm a solicitor. From what you say I don't think you need to be worried. It would not be slander if you are simply passing on the facts of what happened to a colleague. Even if you happened to mention he was a perve you have a defence if it is a "fair comment"!

• Mrs Pumpkin
    Mrs Pumpkin ·
    • Hide content

I am an HR practitioner. Generally, off colour or below the belt and suggestive remarks are considered sexual harassment, so I wouldn't worry about YOU being in trouble, I would rather imagine that your colleague should watch his mouth, before someone does go to HR and report him. Cordial relationships are encouraged, but there is a definite line between sociable banter and sexual undertones.

• C
    chrismastrey ·
    • Hide content

I'm certainly no expert but I highly doubt you could be done for slander. For a start, you haven't been slanderous, as far as I can see. He made a crude remark, you recounted the story, I simply do not see how that is slander.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics