Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Blonde Viki
Beginner July 2012

Small rant re MOB and MOG outfits!

Blonde Viki, 24 of May of 2012 at 20:24 Posted on Planning 0 20

I'm not even going to ask 'am I being unreasonable' because I know I probably am! Plus I know that this isn't the most important of things to get my knickers in twist about so I'll probably just have my vent then let them get on with it!

I know I'm having a summer wedding, so people will want to wear light colours if it's a lovely day (which it will be!!) but why oh why have both the mothership and OH's mother decided that they want to wear ivory?!

Pah.

Worse still, OH mum 'wanted to know if it was ok' which leaves me to be the *** when I say I'd prefer she didn't. If she's asking, she must know it's usual not to wear white/ivory to a wedding so why not just go with the hunch?

I'm just worried that if both mums wear ivory, with me in an ivory dress too, it's going to look odd in the pictures.

*grumbles*

20 replies

Latest activity by Blonde Viki, 28 of May of 2012 at 22:33
  • Chickster
    Beginner August 2013
    Chickster ·
    • Hide content

Hi Viki, sorry but I do think that it's a bit wrong if both of them wear ivory. If it was Ivory and another color then that isn't so bad. I'm a bit old skool and I think it is a massive faux pas for guests to wear white or ivory dresses to a wedding.

I can undrstand why you are not happy about this and I think you should gently tell both mothers that you think it will look a bit odd if all three of you are in ivory - plus I have never heard of both mothers wanting to wear the same colour at a wedding! Most MOB/MOG's get quite competitive about this! Do they both know that the other one is planning to wear ivory? If not, perhaps this could be your get out clause by telling each mother that the other one is planning to wear ivory and hope that they change colour??

• BowlingBride
    Beginner September 2012
    BowlingBride ·
    • Hide content

Its not that unreasonable, can you tell each one that the other mother has been looking at ivory so she might want to try another colour so she stands out in her own right? But so long as they don't turn up in long ivory numbers i'm sure the photo's will be fine.

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

I would be annoyed as well, and I'm amazed they even asked, surely everyone knows you don't wear white/ivory to a wedding unless you're the bride? I would just tell my mum straight out that I don't want her to wear white, but it depends on the kind of relationship you have with your mum. Could OH maybe mention to his mum that it might not be appropriate?

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That will very much work with my mum, thanks! My mum still has her eye on three outfits, though they all feature ivory as a background colour - I will work on persuading her to the one with the least of it this way Smiley smile

I feel a bit bad about OH's mum, she's struggled a lot to find an outfit she likes.

I just don't know why either of them would be looking at ivory in the first place, as you've all said - it's kind of a commonly known 'no-no'.

OH said if he can help his mum find something different, could we compromise and let her have the ivory jacket and I don't mind that so much.

Just would prefer people who are going to be stood next to me in pictures not to be in block ivory too!

• Hawk
    Beginner September 2012
    Hawk ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't want people wearing ivory either, however my SIL2B is getting married next month and she's wearing a gold dress and I'm her CBM and i'm wearing white/ivory.

• Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

No, you are not being unreasonable at all ! Everyone knows that the only person in white/ivory should be the bride.

• anothermrsjones
    Beginner July 2012
    anothermrsjones ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the others BV. Not unreasonable at all. A small word should sort it right? And as long as MOG can maybe put another colour in her outfit it wouldn't look odd at all

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content

Haha Smiley laugh I'm glad I'm not being a total cow!

I have told them both that ivory accents/accessories are not a problem but I'd prefer them both not to be in block ivory to ensure they stand out Smiley winking

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

NOT unreasonable - it's a exasperating 'GAH' moment on top of everything else!

My MIL asked me if an outfit was ok because it had a ivory jacket, by the time I actually saw it I was expecting a full on wedding gown because she was so worried, but it was actually this:

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Genius!

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

Agree you aren't being unreasonable, I thought it was accepted wisdom not to wear white or ivory to a wedding? Especially for the mothers.

I would throw a whopper tantrum and stamp your foot a lot. That should do it!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I wonder if someone has ever written a handbook for Mums? I bet I could collect loads of stories from this site about what to do and not to do at your daughter/daughter-in-law's wedding....

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

I had to broach this topic with our mums to ensure that they weren't going to wear red, mine is going to wear something with purple and MOG is going to wearing someting gold.

BV, I would just mention to your mum that your MIL is thinking about Ivory and then get your OH to take her shopping to see what else she can find.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

Not unreasonable BV. I think it is generally accepted that people don't wear white/ivory, especially if they're close e.g. mums.

Bridesmaids are different, as that's a bride's choice, if she wants her BMs in ivory.

My MIL asked if she could wear an ivory dress. I said no. It was all ivory with a very thin black line and did look like a 'casual-style' wedding dress. I feel no guilt whatsoever over saying no! (She did ask!)

• S
    Beginner September 2012
    Sep12Bride ·
    • Hide content

Not unreasonable at all! No one should wear white/ivory apart from you!!

I went a bit bridezilla about this a few weeks ago when one of my bridesmaids (who is also my FSIL) decided that they should all wear ivory and started sending me pictures of long ivory dresses, most of which had the word "bridal" in the description!!

• S
    SarahThompson ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hmm, is this new? When I got married my mum wore Ivory, and I was in an Ivory dress. I'm trying with a picture so you can all see.

It personally didn't bother me as it was a "different" ivory to mine, was short not long so didn't clash etc.

• Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

No this is not new, it is tradition...if all the above people know about it it can't be new ! Why all these mothers and bridesmaids want to wear white or ivory is beyond me !!

• 50's pin up bride
    Beginner July 2012
    50's pin up bride ·
    • Hide content

Look on the bright side - she's given you a heads up so you can put things in motion to make sure it doesn't happen... my FMIL is refusing to tell me what she's wearing, and she's already bought it so there's nothing I can do ?

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Good point! *plots*

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics