Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

N
Beginner December 2009

Sophie's Wedding Dress - Mamma Mia the Movie

Nephelae, 28 of October of 2008 at 14:06 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about dresses like the one Sophie wears in the film? I'm pretty sure I don't want a traditional wedding dress and as soon as I saw the dress in the film I thought it could work. It's designed by a costume designer called Ann Roth. However, how likely I could get a dressmker to make the dress from scratch on a budget?! Anyone know of places that sell dresses in this style, I don't think I've ever seen any! I'm not having a beach wedding I'm just small and I don't want to get swamped!! Any recommendations would be great:-) Thank you! N x

12 replies

Latest activity by KatieK, 30 of September of 2010 at 17:44
  • tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content

Do you mean this floaty number?

Cos there are lots of these. Dessy have a range or monsoon do this kind of style.

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

There is a better picture on this forum https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080812133602AA5eNEX link to dress picture https://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g122/glam0urxxc0re/dress4.jpg

• N
    Beginner December 2009
    Nephelae ·
    • Hide content

Yes!! That's the one:-) what a great photo - I've been looking but most of them show the dress a bit crumpled up lol! Thanks N x

• AliLindsey
    Beginner November 2009
    AliLindsey ·
    • Hide content

Not really the same, but what about this one from Monsoon?

http://www.monsoon.co.uk/invt/35202241&bklist=icat,5,shop,women,bridal,bridaldresses

• Fordate
    Beginner August 2010
    Fordate ·
    • Hide content

Hi

On searching for my dress to be made on the cheap i found ebay has lots of makers the will do it from the photo BUT you would still have to be careful, there was a chat on this site about copying dresses and the mistakes when they arrived, but I think that the dresses would be relatively simple to make so maybe you could risk it It looks beautifull

Good luck

Simonne x

• tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes www.millybridal.com can make your dress by just sending them the best picture you have...this one would probably only cost about £150 for them to make.

• bluewater
    Beginner August 2009
    bluewater ·
    • Hide content

Lots of places doing more floaty style dresses this season - see designers like augusta jones or jenny packham. lots more expensive than getting a dress made through millybridal though.

(btw i might be a bit biaised as mine is an augusta jones.... dress called isola - quite floaty too!)

• N
    Beginner December 2009
    Nephelae ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone! I think I will go and try on dresses in shops soon and make sure I suit the shape/style and don't fall in love with a meringue:-) Milly's Bridal looks great - even the custom designed dresses are within my budget yippee!! N x

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

Jasper you have posted purely to advertise your business, all 5 of your posts advertise your business, please read the rules and don't treat us as if we are stupid

• Polkadots_and_Pincurls
    Beginner June 2015
    Polkadots_and_Pincurls ·
    • Hide content

Light in the box do a replica x

Ps: I know I recommend them a lot btw, but I dont work for them, I promise, lol!

• emmy1979
    Rockstar June 2023 West Yorkshire
    emmy1979 ·
    • Hide content

I'd go into a few high street stores and check that this kind of dress suits you first before committing to buying online. I wanted a 1950's tea length dress but that style of dress just didn't look right on me, the lady in the shop said it's because I'm short but I think it's a mix of height and shape.

I also tried on the more formal traditional style wedding dresses and looked a complete idiot, they completely drowned me and I couldn't walk in them. I found Jenny Packham's looked the best but didn't feel they were really worth the price they were selling for. I ended up loving elements of a dress and cape combo from monsoon, the dress was very me, so I bought them and took them to a seamstress who added straps, changed the hemline and I added a brooch. If you find a cheapish dress that you love but you feel has bits missing you can always use your imagination and customise the dress.

With Sophie's dress it's easy to buy the actual dress as there are a few high street dresses that have that fundamental shape (I love the hemline and the simplicity of her dress), then you could ask a seamstress to add the detail on.

Hope you find what you are looking for!

• S
    Beginner March 2011
    shenyan ·
    • Hide content

we are a professional wedding dress factory in china and do export for ten years,

Our products are good price and high quality !the material and workmanship demand
    very strict, when you get the dress,you will feel good quality! Our products are famous

at home and abroad,with the development of our wedding dress factory , we expand

our business on ebay this year ! we can custom for you any size,any kinds and colour!

here is my ebay shop,just start
    https://stores.ebay.co.uk/shenly1010
    if you want to know more
    please contact us : ********@*******.***

YanShen
    General Manager
    Topbride Wedding Dress Factory
    Office Phone : ****
    Fax:****
    Email: ********@*******.***
    Msn: ********@*******.***
    Address : NO.2 ,Changhua Road ,Huqiu ,Suzhou ,215000,China

• K
    Beginner
    KatieK ·
    • Hide content

Wonderful dress. I would love one of these.

?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics