Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

colldel1981
Beginner August 2012

Struggling to choose colour sheme for my wedding!

colldel1981, 2 June, 2011 at 17:10 Posted on Planning 0 16

Hi all,

Please help, I know it sounds silly, But I just cant decide on what colour scheme to go for!!

How did you all decide??

Your feedback would be greatly appricated.

C

xx

16 replies

Latest activity by raincloud, 4 June, 2011 at 22:39
  • kittykat9/9
    Beginner October 2011
    kittykat9/9 ·
    • Hide content

I didn't start out with a particular colour that I'd always dreamt of for my colour scheme so I took two of my three bridesmaids shopping and made them try on all sorts of dresses in all sorts of colours to decide what looked good and what looked hideous on them and was led by that......luckily I have very patient bridesmaids as they tried on some really awful colours but it worked!

I also talked to my OH about what colour suit he wanted to wear (again I had no specifics on this and wanted him to wear something he wanted to wear and liked) so because he chose a black suit I knew I didn't want a really dark colour otherwise we would all look a bit like we were off to a funeral or black tie evening do.

That was just the way I ended up with a bright cobalt blue ?

• maryg111
    Beginner May 2011
    maryg111 ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure how i chose mine - it started as teal and ivory and ended up aqua and hot pink!! i think i probably just kept seeing ideas in wedding magazines that i liked and it developed from there!

it depends when your wedding is and what sort of venue you have but just tear pages out of magazines that you like, and you'll probably find that you send to sway towards one particular colour!

• MandM90
    Beginner July 2011
    MandM90 ·
    • Hide content

We started planning our wedding about 5 months before the actual date so we knew we needed BM dresses QUICK! We ran all round London and ended up in Debenhams with the choice between a few dresses. All were tried on and the nicest were some one shouldered Cadbury purple cocktail dresses. So we settled on those. Then at home I googled purple wedding and some purple and yellow moodboards came up and I thought it looked much brighter and more summery than dark purple and white...so we ended up with this...

And worked from there. Googling moodboards and looking at wedding magazines will really help...or maybe looking at dresses first (for instance if you end up with something lace then a vintage scheme like dusky pink and greys will be more suited than others)

Another place you could start is from flowers. Do you have a favourite colour flower?

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

Ours evolved from a tie H had seen and really wanted. The tie happened to be vivid blue (with his favourite star constellation printed all over it) and from there evolved our whole sci fi theme with the silver and blue colours.

I'd start out by looking at other people's wedding photos and magazines, decide what 'sort' of wedding you want - i.e. formal, informal, vintage, beach, country garden, (sci fi? ? ) - and then take the colours from there.

• KateyP
    Beginner February 2010
    KateyP ·
    • Hide content

I'm not having one. My venue is so beautiful that a colour scheme will look tacky!

White dress for me, black for BMs, and white flowers.

Less is more (sometimes..!)

x

• llandudnolover
    Beginner
    llandudnolover ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

OMG I LOVE this. My other half wanted yellow as it's his favorite colour, but I wasn't sure. Our venue has dark plum coloured seats and purple-ish interior but I thought purple would be a bit wintery, but this is FAB! Sorry, but I might be nicking your colour scheme!!! Thanks so much M&M!

• L
    Beginner August 2012
    Lillibet ·
    • Hide content

My initial thoughts on colour scheme was that I had always wanted dark purple. But then sort of thought it was a bit dark for summer, so asked OH what his choice would be and he said blue.

Then ordered some paper and card for invites in various shades of blue, and from that evolved our Wedgwood inspired scheme of ivory and cornflower blue. All of the stationary, cake etc will be based on this. But bridesmaid dresses might be navy, or pale blue or any other shade of blue! As I'll be basing this on what complements the BMs skin tone. (Which is the reason certain colours have been ruled out from the beginning).

• sparkelly
    Beginner December 2011
    sparkelly ·
    • Hide content

We got engaged on Christmas Day and decided to get married the following Christmas, therefore our colour theme is based around the colour theme of my Christmas decorations, and so we have purple and red!

Not too much red though, just the berries in the bouquets and table centres so it's more of an accent than anything else.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

I went dress shopping, and when I found the one I asked my stepdad to come with me to take a pic, as me & OH share a camera and I didn't want to risk him seeing if I didn't delete the pic yet. Stepdad turned up with a single yellow rose which he had picked up at a flower shop on the way over - our theme is flowers, our colour scheme is yellow - that simple!

• kerrylou89
    Beginner August 2011
    kerrylou89 ·
    • Hide content

OH picked our colour, sky blue Smiley smile he said from day one the only input he will have is the colour haha. he chose his suit colour, waistecoat and cravat and chose BM, my dads and his dad. So i pretty much knew although it isnt all sky blue theres a few shades of blue in the wedding Smiley smile

• a_white_izzy
    Beginner September 2011
    a_white_izzy ·
    • Hide content

Well, I love pink, but 2 of my cousins recently got married and both had pink, so we started looking at wedding mood boards on google. I went through a few options and we eventually found peacock feather themed weddings. A few people have mentioned that they are bad luck (and funnily enough, we've had loads of bad luck this year!!) but I've never been supersticious so I'm not going to worry about that too much! x

• Snuggle-bum
    Beginner July 2011
    Snuggle-bum ·
    • Hide content

I started with what colours i didn't want, Blue (im a utd fan), Purple (its popular) Pink (i'd planned in the past)......you get my jist!

Anyway I love silver and the Glitz of it so decided to go with white, silver and a tiny bit of pink.

The time of year helped aswell.

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

In the last year we have been to 3 family weddings and have another 2 coming up this year.

Each one had a different colour for their theme, so i was easy for us to cross those off our list to start with, and luckily no one has picked the colour we want to go for which was red.

So thats how we chose.

• sapphire_22
    Beginner September 2011
    sapphire_22 ·
    • Hide content

I hate loud, bright colours at weddings so I was looking for something quite muted. When I was at church one Sunday (same one we are getting married in) I noticed that all the picture frames around the church, the candlesticks and the big crucifix hanging over the alter were painted in the same shade of antique gold, and I thought it looked very beautiful. When we went to view the room where we would be having the wedding breakfast and saw that was painted gold too that decided it. I've paired it ivory, so its very subtle. We've ended up with some small amounts of deep red and yellow too, but I'm being careful not to let them take over.

I did have quite a big colour wobble when I saw someone's peach and sage green wedding on here though.

I think it helps if you start thinking about the type of wedding you want, what colours would suit your venue and the kind of centrepieces you like and ideas will start to form.

• MandM90
    Beginner July 2011
    MandM90 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's ok; that's what I thought. I love purple but it doesn't seem summery enough!

• katie1103
    Beginner September 2012
    katie1103 ·
    • Hide content

I originally had sage green but after a disaster with BM dresses ive now switched to fushia which complements them all really well, OH wants to wear a black suit but again dont want to look like their at a funeral xx

• raincloud
    Beginner August 2011
    raincloud ·
    • Hide content

I thought about yellow as it's my favourite colour but OH wasn't keen. We went with turquoise as it seemed bright wnough for me but calm enough for OH and as I'm not fussy enough (or patient enough!) to try to match everything up we have needed up with varrying blue shades, the theme is water as thats important to us both (he kayaks and likes rivers and I have done a varriety of watersports and like the sea) so it all works fine!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics