Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Banana88
Beginner May 2012

Suit/Cravat Help ... please :)

Banana88, 22 August, 2011 at 21:44 Posted on Planning 0 15

Right ladies ... and gents.

I've just been asked by the lady who is making my BM dresses if I want cravats/hankies making in the same material, which I do. Just been speaking to OH trying to get an idea who is wearing what, and how many we need. And now have a few questions, hopefully someone can help Smiley smile

• Am I right in thinking the Groom wears an ivory cravat to match the bride and his Bestman and Ushers wear same colour as my BM's?
  • Does FOB wear same colour as BM & Ushers?
  • Does FOG wear the same suit as rest of bridal party? and does he need a cravat?

I know it's not my job to sort out the suits, but OH has no idea either! He is going to the bridal shop I got my dress from to hire them, but we need to figure out how many men we need suits for before we book.

Any help will be very much appreciated xxx

15 replies

Latest activity by Samantha2704, 23 August, 2011 at 13:17
  • LeeLee :)
    Beginner
    LeeLee :) ·
    • Hide content

Heya, not sure I'm much help because we aren't having matching colour cravats with the bridesmaids (thats not us).

My OH has decided to wear a black three piece suit with ivory tie (not cravat - he doesn't like cravats). My Dad is wearing the same suit but ivory waistcoat and ivory tie and so is the best man. They will all be having an ivory rose button hole but a bit more fancier for my OH and my OH is also wearing black and white spats (the gangster looking shoes) X

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

Your men can have whatever they want - if they all want to match then fine, if they all want something different then thats fine too.

My OH will be having a royal blue cravat to match his Kilt, I'm in red, BM in silver, boys are in tuxes with black bow ties, OH's dad normal suit & tie.

Personally I'd have all the men matching if they are all in similar suits.

• Banana88
    Beginner May 2012
    Banana88 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies.
    We've both been searching the web as not entirely sure and have seen that many variations we didn't know what was sort of normal ?
    Can't believe the men are more awkward to organise than me at this wedding!! Something wrong there ?

• Em1982
    Beginner
    Em1982 ·
    • Hide content

Im not sure what the 'traditional' thing to do is but i think its whatever you want. we have kiwi green dresses (i know it sounds awful!!) and the suit hire company didnt have cravats in that colour, just a sage. so we settled on ivory. but i did fancy my groom standing out, in the suit hire book theres a pic of the groom wearing the coloured cravat and it looked really good. so i got mine online weddingcravats.net i think it was and got them alot cheaper than what the wedding shop quoted where i got my bridesmaid dresses.

so basically my groom and two sons are wearing green and the rest of the grooms party are wearing ivory. i think youd best look at wedding pics and see which way round you'd prefer it. personally i like the groom to stand out to th rest and i wanted to introduce colour to the two of us rather than be mostly ivory

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

It is up to you and your OH, really.

My OH is wearing a claret ruche and claret diamond-patterned waistcoat. My BMs are in claret dresses. My Dad, Best Man, Usher are in gold ruches and gold diamond-patterned waistcoats. Our flowergirl is in a gold/ivory dress.

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

THE men in our wedding will be wearing navy cravats/navy suits.. they tried ivory cravatas but againt a white shirt the ivory looked 'wrong' and we went for the navy instead which looks much better - but its each to their own and anything goes Smiley smile

• Banana88
    Beginner May 2012
    Banana88 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all for you advice.

It was my dress lady got me panicking asking how many cravats we needed. We haven't even begun to think about suits as OH wants to order them nearer to Christmas. He is really into wedding planning, but not so bothered about the suits! So we decided to use Google to try find out who wears what. Well that only confused us more ? and the majority of wedding pics we saw were ivory groom and rest a different colour. We've not been to a wedding for a good few years now too so that was no help!

Now comes the hard task of getting OH to choose what colour he wants to wear!

• M
    Beginner October 2011
    Mrs Poon ·
    • Hide content

Hi Mrs B2B,

Im having our cravats and hankies made. Me and O/H have decided his cravat will be made from the same material as my dress (ivory) and the rest of the wedding party (including both dads) will have their cravats made from the same material as the BM dresses.

Hope this helps a little x

• BespokeTailor
    BespokeTailor ·
    • Hide content

Hi MrsB 2B,

I wrote a guide to wedding suits on here a long time ago. Here is a link: https://www.hitched.co.uk/Chat/forums/p/144847/2111818.aspx

It does need updating now but the mojority of it is still relevant.

I do 100's of group wedding suit hires every month and most of the ones we do, the groom is wearing something different to the rest of the party. Sometimes just the cravat or tie, sometimes the waistcoat too. Sometimes the whole suit. The majority of the time the groom trys to match more with the bride and the rest of the party with the bridesmaids etc. But not always.

It is really down to how you feel about it. If your OH is really into planning then I urge him to do a bit of research. He doesn't HAVE to wear the usual wedding outfit if he does not want to, there are so many more options that he probably has never considered.

Here is a link to some real weddings that I ahve supplied suits for : http://www.bunneyblog.com/2011/08/real-customers-2011-blue-harrogate.html

& http://www.bunneyblog.com/2009/11/real-weddings-real-people-real.html

Marc

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Happy to recommend BT above for all your men's needs - well worth a visit, a lot of Hitchers make the trek to Barking Smiley smile

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    nicadele ·
    • Hide content

Hiya

You can have what ever colours you like really but my oh is wearing ivory to match me and our BM, FOB, FOG and ushers are all wearing sage green to match my bm's.

We rang up to enquire about suits and was advised for myself and OH to go and pick what we want and then the rest of the lads just go next year for fittings and basically are told what they are wearing lol!

HTH

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

My OH is wearing a completely different suit to the Best Man and our dads. but theyre all wearing the same tie and pocket square. OH's suit is 3 piece all the same colour and the others are wearing a different suit with Ivory waistcoat.

no-one HAS to match anyone else, its up to you!

• Samantha2704
    Beginner July 2011
    Samantha2704 ·
    • Hide content

My hubby had silver, he matched me with the detailing on my dress then all the other groomsmen e.g. Best man, Ushers, FOB, FOG all wore matching to bridesmaids

I think it's nice that your OH stands out but its completely your choice x

HTH

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics