Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner March 2013

sweetheart or straight neckline?

jrodgers86, 7 of June of 2012 at 17:07 Posted on Planning 0 19

Hey B2Bs, i have picked my dress and am very happy with almost every detail of it except one!

All the way through choosing my dress i wanted a sweetheart neck line but the dress i fell in love with has a straight neckline. I have been assured it looks lovely as it is, but i really think i want it making into a sweetheart neck.

What im wanting is any of you brides who have already wed in my dress that may have had it changed to share your pics if you would. You would be helping me with a very hard decision. My dress is by Ellis Bridal style 11032 in ivory.

Please help! Thanks x x x

19 replies

Latest activity by Teal, 8 of June of 2012 at 18:58
  • Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

I'm not going to be much help, just wanted to say it is a lovely dress and u think it looks nice with a straight neckline. It has enough detail and very pretty. But if it's something you really want I'm sure it would look lovely!!

S x

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content

I must say I prefer it with the straight neckline, but then I'm biased as my dress has a straight neckline and I generally prefer them.

However, as the above poster has said, it's got to be how you will be most comfortable and happy and I'm sure a sweetheart neckline would be possible on that dress and look good Smiley smile

• N
    Beginner April 2013
    NatalielovesJustin ·
    • Hide content

I think either neckline would look great on that dress - I don't think anything on that dress would clash with sweetheart. Sweetheart is my personal fave. Maybe go back and try it on and get the seamstress to pin it into a sweetheart so you can see?

• lisaloulou
    Beginner
    lisaloulou ·
    • Hide content

I had my dress altered to a sweetheart... HTH

At my first fitting (I look a really weird shape?!)

On the day

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I had a straight neckline...

I did toy with the idea of having it made into a sweetheart but I am glad I didn't.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Lisa you look stunning! And the sweetheart neckline works so much better for some reason!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Gorgeous Lisa! And much better as a sweetheart, balances the fishtail I think...

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

What Jo said is very true actually - I really liked the fact that mine was a high straight neckline - I have a big bust and don't like it. I felt completely comfortable on my wedding day.

• M
    Beginner November 2013
    moynashona ·
    • Hide content

I think either neckline would look great on that dress - I don't think anything on that dress would clash with sweetheart.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Good point.

Cleavage + Church = Uncomfortable! ?

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

My dress originally had a straight line, but I had it altered so that there is now a slight dip, for me I felt a lot better after the change. It's entirely up to you though.

• BertB
    Beginner July 2013
    BertB ·
    • Hide content

Gorgeous Pic Kharv ?

Mine has a very slight dip in the middle. I just think it depends on your figure really as to what suits you.

• J
    Beginner March 2013
    jrodgers86 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies does any one have any of my dress? i think for my shape it would make me look less broad! im not massive up top but i thimk it will help, i just wanted to see if anyone had a pic of my actual dress that has been altered.

• schiocco
    Beginner July 2012
    schiocco ·
    • Hide content

I agree it's all about the boobage! I'm only little in that department and have gone for a notched sweetheart to add some curves. Still don't have a cleavage as such though as there's not enough of them!

OP, have you googled your dress for real brides? Have you got a photo of you in your dress that you could post? Maybe change the title of this thread to the name/number of your dress to attract anyone who's got the same dress?

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

TBH I prefer sweetheart necklines. i'm a chesty girl and my dress has a sweetheart neckline. Mine looked fine squeezed into a size 14 dress, so i imagine it will be fine in the correct size.

I think your dress might look better with a sweetheart neckline, but if you're not keen how about a slight dip rather than a proper heart shape?

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

I had my dress altered and loved the result x

• Taylory
    Beginner July 2014
    Taylory ·
    • Hide content

I HAVE A ELLIS DRESS TO Smiley smile 11054.

Mine is a sweetheart neckline , not a really deep one but deep enough . I have big big big boobs but all the straight neck ones didnt do much for me as i seem to go from neck to boobs with no chest in-between lol So straight did nothing for me....

Im just hoping i dont fall out of my dress now lol

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I had a sweetheart, size 12 with D/E boobs. If the bust area is fitted correctly, there shouldnt be any gaping bits or too much cleavage hanging out!!!

When you see someone with a V-neck top or a sweetheart neckline, the eye naturally goes down the V, then up again. You are looking the person up & down which adds height & gives the allusion of a slim body.

When the bust line is cut across the body in a straight line, the eye too goes across the body & back. This can give the allusion of a fatter, wider body.

I mainly wear V-neck tops anyway for this reason, so there was no way I was going for a straight across one on a wedding dress. For me, the sweetheart is more feminine & gives a womanly shape. Its a personnal preference though.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics