Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kirstin
Beginner September 2010

Sweetie Table - show me yours!

Kirstin, 10 of August of 2009 at 17:33 Posted on Planning 0 28

?

I love the idea of a "sweetie table" at our reception. Can anyone share any pics of yours!!!

Also, where's the best place to look for vases, jars etc?

Thanks!

K xxx

28 replies

Latest activity by Smith2Murphy, 12 of August of 2009 at 19:43
  • LennonLuver
    Beginner September 2011
    LennonLuver ·
    • Hide content

I would also be interested in seeing pics, I think Ikea would be a good place to look for jars and vases, they should have a good selection and be reasonably priced x

• Kirstin
    Beginner September 2010
    Kirstin ·
    • Hide content

I had a quick look on Ikea's website - and there's some very cheap ones!

And I just got striped sweetie bags from the bay of E for £2-odds - magic!

• caslass
    Beginner April 2010
    caslass ·
    • Hide content

Wow just come on to put a post like this i want like a retro sweet pick and mix table but carnt think of how to do it and havnt found anyone who done it either yet

• Cookie Galore
    Beginner November 2009
    Cookie Galore ·
    • Hide content

That's so funny - we thought we'd been really original in thinking about a sweetie table (never seen it done before) then I started looking at hitched and it turns out lots of people had the same idea already - so much for originality! There's a website called www.online-sweets.co.uk that do great big bags (or buckets) of retro and modern sweets - including 3kg bulk bags? (I think I would do myself an injury if I had access to 3kg of Haribo gummy fried eggs so that will have to be stashed at my mum's house for my own protection!)

• Kirstin
    Beginner September 2010
    Kirstin ·
    • Hide content

Got a few pics found on t'internet....

• Kirstin
    Beginner September 2010
    Kirstin ·
    • Hide content

Great site Almost MrsP.

I'd be the same with the Haribo eggs!!

• zoej1983
    Beginner August 2009
    zoej1983 ·
    • Hide content

Well ladies your search is over, I got married a week ago on saturday and we had a sweetie table at the reception and it went down alot better than I could have imagined. I got the jars from Charity shops, TK Max, and The Range, I got the sccops off the internet quite cheaply, same with the sweet bags. There were some great shops on the internet that sold so many sweets it was so hard to chose, but I found a stall in our local market that did every kind of sweet we wanted, he gave us such a good deal as we ordered so much off him. He knocked off £40 which was fantastic. I know your dying to see the pics ?

Hope this helps with your decision, if you have any questions feel free to PM me and if I can answer them I will do.

Zoe C

• A
    Beginner December 2010
    anglefish ·
    • Hide content

Hi zoe

where did u get the gorgeous big fish bowl on the right side of your picture i love it x

• 22tango
    Beginner April 2010
    22tango ·
    • Hide content

Hi there,

I 'm not having one but have stumbled on lots online, here is my favorite -

• Kirstin
    Beginner September 2010
    Kirstin ·
    • Hide content

Fantastic Zoe - It looks great!

Looks liek the same wee bags I've just bought.

May I ask, what does your message in the frame say?

• Kirstin
    Beginner September 2010
    Kirstin ·
    • Hide content

Fantastic Zoe - It looks great!

Looks like the same wee bags I've just bought.

May I ask, what does your message in the frame say?

• Amethyst
    Beginner October 2010
    Amethyst ·
    • Hide content

I'm having one! Its a present to my BM she is a sweet addict - she will probably eat half of it (she's a size 8 as well grrrr). I think I am going to have:

• Lollies
    • Little packets of sweets like lovehearts
    • Then smaller sweets pre-put into cellophane bags with a personalised sticker on (so no scoops or anything).

Toying will the idea of keeping it all in our blue / green colour scheme although lovehearts are pink obv...

For jars I'll probably use thing more like vases instead of ones with lids on - will get them from IKEA & supermarkets in the sakes and stuff. Also want to use those tiered cupcake stands for putting sweets on.

• zoej1983
    Beginner August 2009
    zoej1983 ·
    • Hide content

Thankyou everyone, the sweet table was my baby I suppose you could call it, I loved doing it and shopping for all different types of jars was so much fun.

22tango that sweet table is my fav I fell in love with that pic, I decided to use the different levels also as it gives it a better look than having it all on one level, thats just my personel opinion.

Anglefish, its actually a giant brandy glass, I got it from The Range, it held so many smarties, I think it was a 1kg bag, the biggest bag the stall holder did.

Kirstin the message in the frame reads -

DAVID & ZOE’S

SWEET SHOP

Step right up
    To the candy buffet,

Use the scoops
    Choose what you like,
    Leave some for others
    Be polite.

As you enjoy
    Your bag of delightful treats,
    Please remember
    Love is sweet!

Amethyst I think it will look better all different colours, thats what makes it fun, you may also find it hard to get the sweets in your colours, again just my personal opinion, you may have an idea in your head that works for you and H2B. Good Luck with it im sure it will look fab, and your BM will love it as well as your guests.

We had - Flying Saucers, Eggs, Shrimps, Popping Candy, Sherbert Dib Dabs, Giant lollies, Cola pips, Sherbert pips, Parma violets, 3 different kinds of fudge, a whole tin of Roses that I got at xmas, giant flumps,and ofcourse a jar of diabetic sweets, there were a few other things, I still have so much left over im sick of the sight of sweets ?

The hotel staff said they had never seen a sweet table done and couldnt understand why more people didnt do it, I havent seen that many people on Hitched do it, its a bit different and the guests love it.

HTH

Zoe C

• NeoShoegal
    NeoShoegal ·
    • Hide content

I just found the most amazing ones

https://www.amyatlas.com/index.php/main/portfolio/

Hope you can get some inspiration from those

• 22tango
    Beginner April 2010
    22tango ·
    • Hide content

NeoShoegal its the ost fantastic link ever! love it!

now I'm starting to consider having one... but we won't have any kids really apart from about 3 little ones, and I don't know how it will go down with the adults.

• A
    Beginner December 2010
    anglefish ·
    • Hide content

This was the first thing we thought of doing ha ha were big children lol we are not having any children so the sweets are all for us woo hoo, we are having all the old favs from our childhood.

love the idea and its so colourful were not having a sweetie table but having sweets in giant bowls for our centre peices with sweets in yay with a few heart shaped tealights around them on a mirror plate

what do you think x

• 22tango
    Beginner April 2010
    22tango ·
    • Hide content

Hi Anglefish I think that would look Fab! are you havnig same-colour sweets or a mixture? the only thing I would consider perhaps is how people will take the sweets if they are on the table - as in just take a hand full? or will you put bags/small paper containers on the table?

• *porsche*
    Beginner January 2001
    *porsche* ·
    • Hide content

That website is amazing, some fab ideas. Is it too early to buy - lol.

• zoej1983
    Beginner August 2009
    zoej1983 ·
    • Hide content

What an amazing website, im glad I didnt see this before our wedding, else I could have been swayed into doing something more amazing.

22Tango, we had about 10 children to the evening of the wedding, it was more for the adults though, and to be honest after the kids had had their share it was the adults that were surrounding the table, some people took bags home for themselves and their teenage children.

Angelfish I think idea sounds great but as 22Tango says you will need to think about how they will get the sweets out, people dont always wash their hands after a visit to the loo. I think people will love it.

Zoe C

• A
    Beginner December 2010
    anglefish ·
    • Hide content

Hi 22tango.

were going to have a mixture of coulourfull sweets and have tongs and scoops in the bowls so people dont use there fingers ha ha, my mum has said she would like to pay fo them so im kind of leaving it to her now so its a surprise for us as well xx

• Amethyst
    Beginner October 2010
    Amethyst ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! This is just the look I am thinking of with the colour blocks and stuff!

• Charliechoo14
    Dedicated May 2025 Derbyshire
    Charliechoo14 ·
    • Hide content

What a great idea...Zoe your table looked brill..I bet it was a big hit with your guests...would you mind in telling me roughly how much you spent?? Hope you don't mind but Im going to use the pic in my ideas book....?

• zoej1983
    Beginner August 2009
    zoej1983 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Charlotte, thanks, the table went down better than I could have expected.

The sweets cost us £75 thats with £40 knocked off. The jars cost us around about £60 but thats only because I bought a couple of jars off the internet and they were a little expensive.

We still have so many sweets left over its ridiculous so I would say dont go over board like we did. It was are one true big expense, I saved money on so many different things, so we didnt mind spending it on the sweet table.

HTH

Zoe C

• Charliechoo14
    Dedicated May 2025 Derbyshire
    Charliechoo14 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your reply zoe I just showed OH your the pic of your table and his eyes almost popped out of his head..so I think thats the go a head....thanks

• M
    Beginner September 2010
    mojo2001 ·
    • Hide content

Omg they r fab im sooooo having one at my evening reception that we are having wen we get back from turkey.....been lookiing at sweeties on ebay allready lol

• C
    Beginner July 2010
    cbarlow ·
    • Hide content

If i remember correctly theres a great site on the net which sells retro sweets its not the cheapest but it has a good selection

www.retrosweets.co.uk if its not this its something similar

• FutureMrsCover
    Beginner May 2011
    FutureMrsCover ·
    • Hide content

22Tango that pic is amazing! I hope you dont mind if im a bit cheeky and add it to one of my "moodboards" and totally rip it off! its so retro i love it

x

• zoej1983
    Beginner August 2009
    zoej1983 ·
    • Hide content

Im glad you H2b liked the sweet table Charlotte, one shop I was going to use was http://www.thesweetjarambleside.co.uk/ The guy was very helpful and was going to knock some money off for us as we were going to order so much.

Glad more people are thinking about it, its a fab idea and it gets the guests talking.

Zoe

• Smith2Murphy
    Beginner June 2010
    Smith2Murphy ·
    • Hide content

Love it love it love it!! Wish we had the budget to do something like this! ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics