Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Red Baroness
Beginner July 2012

Thank you cards - handwritten?

Red Baroness, 11 August, 2011 at 11:52 Posted on Planning 0 43

What is the norm on this? Are wedding thank you cards generally hand written and personalised? Just received a generic printed thank you photo, with a printed message on the side.

43 replies

Latest activity by judeclarke, 12 August, 2011 at 13:12
  • ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

Ooooh I would say that was wrong

we had the photographer provide a blank card with a photo on the front and I hand wrote all my thank yous! much more personal

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I think they should always be personalised!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I've had both although I must say 90% have been generic pre-printed ones. I always really appreciate the handwritten ones. I know it takes time, but guests really appreciate it. I'm definitely going to handwrite mine.

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

I will handwrite mine I prefer the personal touch

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

Definitely hand written. I got writers cramp doing ours but they are all done and sent off, phew.

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content

Personally I couldn't care less and I wish people would save their time and a couple of trees by just not bothering!! I look at mine once say "oh that's nice" and chuck it in the recycling. I think the same about christmas cards too.

• Inspire Me Designs
    Inspire Me Designs ·
    • Hide content

I always advise my brides and grooms not to have them printed. It needs to be a personal note. I don't mind adding "Thank you for sharing in our special day" or something like that inside but there has to be enough room for them to write their own note.

Nat

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

We were going to use one of the photos our photographer takes on the day for the front of our thank you cards, and would probably have something pre-printed inside (as a general "thank you" type wording" but certainly wouldn't expect to have the whole thing printed - even though our custom invite database enables us to track all gifts and I can mailmerge, print, address, sign (using a scanned signature) and fold cards automatically on the technology I have available to me.

I think a handwritten card makes a gift feel more appreciated, if that makes sense?

• C
    Beginner October 2011
    CLAIREYFAIRY2 ·
    • Hide content

I think they should be handwritten. I've only ever received one generic printed one and was a bit shocked that no time had been taken to send me a personal message, to mean it means that no thought about the individual recipients has gone into sending the card, all they've done is stuck it in an envelope and stuck a stamp on it!

But that said its much better than not getting any thank you at all!

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

Handwritten.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Very true. That has happened once. Not even a verbal thank you.

If I'm being honest I just felt a but miffed that it's not personalised in any way. Not even our names!

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What did you use for your invites?

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haven't done invites yet but I understand what you're getting at. I just don't think I can get away without issuing paper invites, I'm open to suggestions though ?

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

Ah but email would use electricity.

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

I always hand write thank you cards and notes. Just don't think its as heart felt otherwise.

I even hand wrote a little note on the back of every single save the date card i sent out.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Always hand written thank-you notes.

• Luna_12
    Beginner October 2012
    Luna_12 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with near enough everyone else, handwritten notes are always best. These people made the effort to be there at your special day to celebrate with you, the least you can do is make your thank you note personal to them xxx

• MandM90
    Beginner July 2011
    MandM90 ·
    • Hide content

We are handwriting them; when we opened cards and presents we wrote down what everyone gave so we can say thank you for X and thanks for attending, and the close family (many of whom were far too generous) will be receiving lots of photos too.

I think if you're going to have generic ones there's little point. I'd actually prefer they didn't waste the paper if there is seemingly no personal sentiment behind the card.

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to handwrite mine...OH has already decided that I will be writing them because i have nicer handwriting. think that's just a get out of it clause tbh, but his writing is a bit hmmmm at times.

• MandM90
    Beginner July 2011
    MandM90 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I write EVERYTHING (including cards to her family) for the same reason. Her writing isn't even terrible, I'm pretty sure it's just an excuse...then again, me being the loser I am, I quite enjoy writing cards!!

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I wish I had taken over with writing them all. I have left the wife to sort out her side of the family and friends etc and yes you guessed it, still not sent out.....slack alice ?

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

Handwritten and personalised.

eg

To Bob & Mildred

Thank you for the toaster/cheque, it fits perfectly in our kitchen/we will put it towards a new sofa/ spend on homey moon.

We are so glad you were able to join us to celcbrate our special day and hope you enjoyed yourself as mucha s we did.

Thanks again,

Brisde and Groom

my mum always made me do thank you cards for bday & vhristmas pressies, doesnt have to be much just thanks and acknowlege what they gave you!

it takes ages, but they will appreciate it!

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Handwritten.

Purs are very late as I was ill but people have been thanked verbally/electronically in the meantime and the written ones are making their way out! Much later than I would ever have wanted but we didn't have the chance before.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

We were thinking that we could actually print off the 'inside wording' of the cards, and hand-write what we need to inside them, when on our honeymoon (as we have 2 weeks there's plenty of time) then all we have to do on our return - assuming of course the photographer has sent us the disc by then, or I can grab one of the shots from him on the day and done the necessary photoshoppery whilst away) simply print the other side of the cards on our return and then send them out.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

A farmhouse in the middle of nowhere in South Wales.

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Are you from Brighton?!?

We're handwriting ours and any thank you cards etc that we get we always keep, so I don't think of them as a waste of time or trees.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

AJ I'm sure you have said in the past that you didnt do thank you cards or something along those lines?

*I may be wrong here...

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't.

However, my b2b does, and as this isn't "just my decision", we'll be sending them. I expect she'll do the writing as hers is neater than mine, and my contribution will probably running off the address labels from the our database to stick on the envelopes, and more the 'practical' side such as the design and photoshop work to make them happen.

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content

Handwritten all the way! I find pre-printed ones rather rude. These people have spent their hard earned cash to attend your wedding & give you a lovely present & all you can be bothered to do is send something printed en-mass? No brainer for me!

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

We'll handwrite ours, just makes it so much more personal.

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

I handwrote and personalised all of mine....took ages, but I wanted to make sure that the thankyou's were specific to the guests, and any gifts that we received.

• Tina Teaspoon
    Beginner May 2011
    Tina Teaspoon ·
    • Hide content

We hand wrote ours, it took us forever but I wouldn't have considered doing it any other way. We had a honeymoon gift list so wanted to thank people individually for each experience and tell them about what it was like to do the things they bought us.

We sent them out this week and have since received a lot of thank yous for our thank you cards - I feel we could get trapped in a perpetual circle of thanking each other!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics