Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Amy
Beginner March 2026 East Central London

The cheaper the better

Amy, 31 of July of 2022 at 01:24 Posted on Planning 0 8
Does anyone have any tips on making the wedding as budget friendly as possible but still getting the aesthetic of an expensive one?

8 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 31 of July of 2022 at 18:56
  • Haz
    Dedicated September 2022 Staffordshire
    Haz ·
    • Hide content
    Choose a theme that suits your venue, so that you can maximise decor that it already there and not be fighting against it. For instance, if you are getting married in a rustic barn then go for rustic decor. If your venue is ultra modern then roll with it. We're getting married in a sailing club so we chose a coastal theme.

We've made loads of things for our wedding, signs, centrepieces, favours, flowers etc. I've enjoyed it and it's saved a ton of money, but it has been time very consuming, so just be aware if you're not the sort of person who enjoys making things and has craft materials already.
  • Amy
    Amy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for the tips Smiley smile
  • H
    Savvy October 2022 Essex
    Helen ·
    • Hide content
    If you’ve got the budget for a wedding venue, consider a weekday and/or month that’s less popular. Some of the venues we viewed had Monday-Thursday dates that were 30%-40% less and some offered much lower rates out of season, E.g. January-March and November dates.

I’ve seen lots of threads here discussing registry office ceremonies, followed by a reception in a nice pub or town hall/sports club. Venues that can be hired for events but aren’t ‘wedding venues’ are more affordable.

Choosing a venue that allows external catering can save a lot of money as you’re free to choose and bring in your own caterers. So can choosing a venue that doesn’t charge corkage if you supply your own alcohol.
    I’d also second what Haz mentioned above! I’ve made/am making our Save the Dates, invites, place names, seating plan, favours, signs etc. myself. I love crafts/making things but it is really time consuming!
    I’ve seen lots of lovely brides here recommending Wed2B and Monsoon for affordable wedding dresses. Along with photographers that offer 1/2 day packages.
    Good luck with planning! Smiley smile
  • Amy
    Amy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That was helpful thank you
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    You could look in your local shope or shein and etsy amazon have some lovely cheap decorations to cut cost b&m is good xx💗
  • J
    Curious September 2022 South East London
    Julia ·
    • Hide content
    Sellmywedding is also a good place to buy wedding decorations that have only been used once. I made my own bunting from old clothes and pillow cases. It cost £25 for the bias binding and wonderweb and I’ve made 150 metres and no sewing!
  • Elizabeth
    Dedicated October 2023 Cumbria
    Elizabeth ·
    • Hide content
    I found some wedding signage stencils on Etsy and acrylic sheets are cheap in bulk so making all our signage myself. For table pieces I’ve found a some little vases in a charity shop and going to put some dried flowers in them. Or fake. The Range have a really good variety of fake flowers. And as we’re having an autumn wedding so I’m getting little squashes and pumpkins and dried fruit for decor around the place too. There is a lot you can do if you’re committed to doing it.

The rock my wedding website has a recycle my wedding section where people sell stuff from their own wedding. I’m considering a second half dress from stillwhite.com or new from wed2b which are mostly sub £700.
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Go rustic. Way easier to get DIY stuff that looks good that way.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics