Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

navychick
Beginner August 2011

the "dull" dress on don't tell the bride

navychick, 15 September, 2010 at 08:38 Posted on Planning 0 23

Not the one that he ended up buying for her, but one that he looked at before - the one that the TV commentator said it was "plain dull". Well that dress looks very much like mine. What's worse, and what has upset me and turned me into a blubbering wreck is the fact that my OH was watching it also and made an unfavourable comment about it. My dress is Della by Romantica of Devon. I'm pretty sure that OH doesn't realise that it's the same dress, and of course if he'd have known, he would never have said anything, but it still stung a little.

I've had so many wobbles about this dress you just wouldn't believe. Earlier this week I called a fairly local stockist that has designer dresses (Pronovias, San Patrick) in her sale - some half price, yet even if I managed to sell my dress, my budget just won't reach. So just yesterday morning I decided to stick with my dress and told myself that it was the right one. Now, with his comments it has just made me even more undecided, a bit deflated and basically in a quandary.

Any ideas? Do you think the shop will refund me at all? It was a sample sale, so I got a really good deal on it. The dress is still at the store as their seamstress will alter it for me - i'm having the neckline changed into a sweetheart. Personally, I don't think they'll accept it back at all. If I end up keeping it, it will always be in the back of my mind that he didn't like it on the show - even though I'm sure he won't remember that he didn't like the look of it from the show.

any advice will be welcome.

From a very down, deflated and thoroughly peeved off B2B.

23 replies

Latest activity by Vikster79, 15 September, 2010 at 17:11
  • S
    Beginner
    Sloan-R ·
    • Hide content

I think if you have major doubts about your dress anyway then it's not the one. It really is up to you but you could always go into the store and ?, ask if they will exchange it, I doubt they will refund you but may let you exchange for another gown.

Remember though, everyone has different tastes so never mind what the presenter said. As for what our OH said, did he really take any notice of the dress and really see it (i doubt it). I think your own dress will be fine and will look diff with a sweetheart neckline anyway.

• Snow Patroller
    Snow Patroller ·
    • Hide content

Firstly, can i say that I think those wedding programmes are hideous... DTTB and that awful 'Four Weddings' or whatever its called where 4 brides go to each others days and then slag them off (on the whole) - I think its an awful thing to make 'tv' out of - its someones wedding day ffs! I sat and watched one whole 4 Weddings, just to see what the fuss was about and it was absolutely awful. Four total strangers put together with (obviously for good tv) very different weddings, different personalities, and usually as different a wedding idea as you could get. Just awful.

And I think they end up putting heaps of media pressure on folk who are watching and, like you, folk might just end up seeing/hearing something hurtful or mean that mirrors something they've chosen or decided on.

B2B shouldn't watch these programmes, they are evil.

Am now off to consider my response to your actual dress issue!

SP x

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

Right, what you have to remember is that every bride is different. We all have different tastes and what one thinks is marvelous another will think it is hideous. That is just the way it is. Now with regard to you dress i think it is perfect as i am in the same camp as you, i dont like fussy, frou frou dresses as it is just not ME and therefore i have plumped for a rather understated gown but it is right for me. Ask yourself why you fell in love with it in the first place, not anyone else opinion? Maybe that will put the love back into the dress! big up your dress i love it.....chic and beaut :-)

Holy bejebus, i just noticed its 10 months till i get wed!!! arrrgggggghhhhhh

• Cookie Galore
    Beginner November 2009
    Cookie Galore ·
    • Hide content

Have just googled your dress and I think it's beautiful - understated and elegant. Not everyone needs or wants a big fluffy princess dress with a zillion sequins on it. Wedding shows need controversial bits in them or they'd be really boring, just a pity they don't consider the brides watching who might have a difference of opinion about a dress and be very upset about derogatory comments.

As for your H2B, men are beyond hopeless when it comes to imagining things on when all they've seen is them on the hanger or even on someone else. He will think the dress looks utterly fabulous because it has the woman he loves in it. Plus, if the people on the show have made snippy comments about it you can bet the editing won't show the dress in a good light or from a good angle - it will be cut together to make it look "duller" or "plainer" than it actually is.

Most people have wobbles about their dress - don't let this make yours any worse. Plus, if you have an understated dress you can go completely mental with blingy accessories and it'll carry it - have a look at some of the HIBs' sites for some seriously statement necklaces.

• S
    Beginner
    Sloan-R ·
    • Hide content

Have just went and had a look at your dress and OMG it's beautiful, I'm not one for big frilly fluff on dresses and I love just a little detail. I love it and I really don't know what you're worrying about, it's stunning and classic. I love it. So ignore the top of my first post and don't go back and exchange it, keep it, it's beautiful and your h2b will love you in it.

• Snow Patroller
    Snow Patroller ·
    • Hide content

Absolutely agree with Vikster... well said!

Have to say its becoming more and more common place for brides to be having 2 or 3 dresses thru wobbles - and I just don't get it... at some point that first dress meant enough to the bride for them to spend x amount on it, and then maybe thru' still trawling dress mags & websites they see others they prefer, or because of some scripted comment on a pointless tv programme, or because of what a friends friends friend wore suddenly that dress is deemed unacceptable and is discarded. Maybe I'm just an oddity as the dress for me wasn't the main thing about my wedding - hence me getting wed in a £200 bridesmaid dress...

Its your and your OH's day. Its about two people joining in matrimony, making vows and all that malarky. Its not just about a dress.

Your OH will be blown away by you being at his side in front of whatever individual is marrying you - and you should be able to be stood there in a potato sack and he still be just as blown away... media has a lot to answer for in this world about shaping what people think is 'right' and 'wrong', acceptable and not, OK and not OK. And its very sad.

ETA I've just googled your dress and there is nothing dull about it. Its unstated (and that is a very different thing to 'dull') and perfectly lovely.

• Daisy82
    Beginner
    Daisy82 ·
    • Hide content

WES.

That dress is gorgeous and if you like then stick with it.

Besides your OH won't even remember the dress from the programme and was just agreeing with the voice lady as he had just heard it and had be swain by someone elses opinion!!

Go try it on again soon and I'm sure you'll realise the dress is for you.

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

Also, don't forget that dresses look different off and on the hanger and on one person something will look elegant and on others dull.

So I wouldn't worry about other peoples idea of what they do and don't like. He'll be blown away on the day even if you turned up in a dress made of a black sack!

• T
    TheWeddingSecret ·
    • Hide content

I also just googled your dress, he obviously doesn't know what hes on about! Its beautiful! And I'm sure he will think you look amazing whatever you wear. ?

You've made an excellent choice - men know nothing (im guessing the guy on the tele was also a man)

Kate at TheWeddingSecret x

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Well... I didn't see the program but just googled your dress - it's not dull - it's got a lovely design! There is a pattern to it and it has a lovely fitted shape.

I think some people can carry off huge crystals and pattens etc but it's not for everyone. Clearly you've picked the dress for a reason, and I think the sweetheart neckline will look fab!

You can never get a true picture of a dress holding it on the hanger - it's the veil, the tiara, the jewelry, shrugs, shoes, and the smile which brings the whole outfit together.

That said - if this just furthered your dress doubts, I would consider now whilst you have time - if you got a good deal on the dress you might be able to make your cash back, and start a search for something else.

I am sure if you do this and change your mind and explain why you did so to OH, he will feel bad for the comments and tell you that whatever it is, you will look fabulous in it. And he'll mean it.

Hope that helps - good luck!

• B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was going to say almost this exact same thing - he will find you beautiful whatever you're wearing - plus I think those dresses look amazing on slim girls.

So I wouldn't worry about him at all.

If you have doubts, however, not related to his comments that's another thing as you do want to be comfortable and happy and feel a million dollars. There are a few options I can think of:

1) Jazz it up - maybe have a brooch on the side and glitzy earrings/hair jewels - I think you could create a real "old school glamour" vibe with it.

2) See if you can sell it on pre-loved/ebay and get a China dress - most of the girls who've done this have been really happy.

I'd sleep on it a while though - we all have dress wobbles, particularly if you're looking at it on the internet, and yet I love mine so much now I wish I could wear it every day!

• navychick
    Beginner August 2011
    navychick ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies you have all made me feel so much better. I work in an office which is full of men, i am the only female, in the entire building, so for me to get good old honest female advice it can be difficult. however, having said that one of my good male friends at work, said more or less the same things that you have all said, so I am feeling a lot more positive about it all now. I think what hit hard was the fact that my OH knows my dress isn't frilly, lacy, blingy or big and he knows i've had a few doubts about it, even though he hasn't seen it, he may well have an idea of what it could look like - which doesn't particularly bother me, he has the memory of a newt so is likely to forget everything by the time we get married next August!

However, having said that - my dress looks loads better on me than on the girl wearing it in the shop - it's quite figure hugging so flatters my figure - which is why I went for it in the first place. It's mine, I'm keeping it and the money saved by not buying another one will go towards our honeymoon or something else!

nuff said.

x

• spikeygoodness
    Beginner
    spikeygoodness ·
    • Hide content

I love your dress, and I'm not just saying that to make you feel better, I genuinely do. (If I hated it I'd just keep quiet.) It's classy and elegant, and I'm sure you look awesome in it, and your h2B will think so too. If you really don't think it's the one for you then it might be worth trying to sell, but if you love it don't let the programme put you off - there are loads of different tastes out there or we'd all get married in the exact same dress and that would be mega dull.

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Ignore the programme and your h2b. I disagree that if you have serious wobbles the dress isn't for you and most brides have wobbles at some point I believe. I wobbled even though I loved my dress from the second I saw it. I also ended up in tears on a few occasions because my dress was MEGA sparkly and my h2b said he hated sparkly dresses and that they were tacky! Then I showed him the colour which would match for his cravat and he said it looked like baby sick! My dress was that exact same baby sick colour!

Anyway I wore my dress and he loved it. He said it was totally different from the sparkly dresses he had seen and that I was beautiful in it.

I doubt the shop would refund you but if you honestly, deep deep down, want another dress then phone and ask them. I'd also suggest going and trying it on again and I bet you fall in love with it all over again.

x

• sexeezee
    Beginner May 2011
    sexeezee ·
    • Hide content

Heya my dress is the same and i seen it too my heart sank i got really upset

but then i thought she changed her dress with loads of bling and hee hubby said it was chavvy so i then started to think that our dress maybe plain but its also very elegant and very classy too

hope you feel better about it coz our dress is stunning xxxx

• sexeezee
    Beginner May 2011
    sexeezee ·
    • Hide content

Here is me in our dress lol what i love about it the most is that its kind of flowing (if u get me ) the train on it sits natrully to its not in the way and annoying i really hope you feel better about the dress xxx

• sexeezee
    Beginner May 2011
    sexeezee ·
    • Hide content

Ps the tv show did not do the dress any justice and girl trying it on didnt make it look as nice as we do lol I found some more pics for you of a previous bride xxx

• navychick
    Beginner August 2011
    navychick ·
    • Hide content

Hi sexeezee - thanks for the words - i thought very hard about putting my post on here, as i knew you had the same dress and didn't want to bring up the doubts that i recall you had last week. one of the guys at work put it in the best way he knew how by saying it's not about the dress, it's about the person wearing the dress - which i guess sums it all up.

i feel loads better today after having a think and talking to some good friends, and of course hitched, and have been told not to say plain, but to say classy or elegant! I really like the photo of the other bride in it also - she looks lovely.

here's me in mine (I've tried to photo shop it to see how it looks with the sweetheart neckline, but can't quite get it to work out how to tone it to match skin colour, so that's why theres some white in it!)

• sexeezee
    Beginner May 2011
    sexeezee ·
    • Hide content

Yeh i found that picture on google it looks even better whaen it all come together like the veil and the flowers berfore i chose this dress i had chosen the romantica wallis that was a line and had bling on and bling on the train i had doubts about that too wanted something more fitting

I think its normal to have doubts too because there are so many dresses even tho the one we find we love i think we just get scared too that we may miss out on something that might be better then if we do change it we will get doubts on that one too eventually because there is so many dresses

we want our groom and guests to remember that we looked beautiful on our wedding day, and our dress was gorgeous and perfect for us, NOT that the dress was WOW and we looked ok we don’t be outshone by the dress

hope your ok xxx

• sexeezee
    Beginner May 2011
    sexeezee ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to keep going on lol I also think our dress look like suzanne neville manhattan and its pricey lol xxx

• Yikes
    Beginner September 2013
    Yikes ·
    • Hide content

Stunning dress. To echo what the other ladies have said its the person in it and how they wear it that matters. I will always remember trying a dress on in a shop and commenting on how it looked "odd" and did not flatter, looked and generally didn't look weddingy. I went back to the same shop and saw a women in the SAME dress and it looked absolutely stunning on her. It really made her look like a bride.

Have you/can you go to the shop and try it on. I had dress wobbles before as I'd seen my dress on DTTB and on the net and it was nothing like I remembered when I had it on. I went back tried it on and remembered why I wanted the dress.

• B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content

Dress looks absolutely gorgeous on both of you. I love the drapes. Stay relaxed about it!

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

You look lovely in it....its just my style *big thumbs up and a big smile*

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics