Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Victoria
Curious September 2023 West Sussex

To have parents or not?

Victoria, 22 March, 2023 at 16:45 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 2 6
So, it may seem weird to ask this, but my parents have been very against my wedding and don't like my partner at all. They have made a few snide comments about the money we are spending on our wedding when they could have it.

Don't get me wrong I love them but they are causing me so much stress that it is affecting my health and my partner is not wanting them to be there.
I'm worried that if they don't come I might regret it and that if they do come then they might cause a scene. Plus, they might turn the rest of my family against me, meaning we lost a significant proportion of the guest list.
Has anyone else experienced this and what did you do. I am so torn on this.

6 replies

Latest activity by Sarah, 27 July, 2023 at 22:51
  • Amie Seal Photography
    Leicestershire
    Amie Seal Photography ·
    • Hide content

Only thing I can say to this, is that it's YOUR wedding day. Do the necessary to make your day a special one; nothing else matters.

#YOUDOYOU

Best,

A.

• Bale
    Beginner April 2024 Hampshire
    Bale ·
    • Hide content
    We’re in a similar position with my other half. There was a huge argument before Christmas with his mother etc
    We’re sorting our guest list and he has said he will not invite her as she hasn’t spoken to us since or even apologised. He said she doesn’t deserve to be there as he knows she’ll just make it about her.
    His brothers are still coming as they’ve said “they are not getting involved”.
    It’s a very difficult decision but I think you need to go with your gut feeling. If you think now “I don’t want them there” then maybe that’s the right decision. What does your OH think?
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    Mine aren't invited x♥️
  • Victoria
    Curious September 2023 West Sussex
    Victoria ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    thumbs-up-double-thumbs-up.gif
    Thank you for all your help and for discussing this with me. We have invited them but think that they will not come in the end. X
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    All that matters is you are both happy with the decision you have both made like you my parents were never fused on my h2b from the start of our relationship so we both decided after 20 years to elope and not tell anyone my friends and his friends were okay so when the time came for a catch up with my friends they spotted my dress were annoyed I didn't see the problem as they were always aware of our plans they told my family now I don't speak to any of them all I can say is have a day that you both want and please don't let them ruin your future x♥️
  • Sarah
    Rockstar August 2024 West Midlands
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content

Good evening.

Ahhh sorry to hear this. I’m in a similar boat and it’s quite refreshing to know we’re not alone (sorry! I wouldn’t wish the drama on anybody!).

I hope since you posted this in March that something has been worked out between you all.

If not, then you need to go with your heart. Sometimes you have to cut loose, even if they are your parents. Toxic relationships are so physically, mentally and emotionally draining and you need all the love and support around you. The last thing you want is to be left crying on your wedding day.

Drop me an inbox if you need 💞

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics