Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Isabella
Beginner February 2025 West Sussex

Too soon for a wedding dress?

Isabella, 2 of December of 2022 at 19:40 Posted on Wedding Attire 0 20
Hi everyone! I just need abit of advice if you like. I’m getting married 14/02/26 (would get married sooner but due to finances we can’t.)
I’m visiting a wedding dress shop that is shutting down on Sunday and if there is one I love and good value I may consider buying it.. do you think that it’s abit too early?

20 replies

Latest activity by Melissa, 1 of February of 2023 at 10:45
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

If it's not the kind of style that will date and you don't tend to change your tastes, then go for it - otherwise, it's a bit of a risk. My dress was a classic style and 2.5 years after our wedding, it would still be my first choice if I needed to pick one again. But I tend to wear my clothes till they fall apart. If you like frequent changes and/or like to keep up with trends, it's probably way too early to buy.

• Isabella
    Isabella ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Awh bless you. That’s great to hear - thank you! Most people think I’m mad. I think if I find the “one” then I won’t be changing it! Thank you for your reply, it’s greatly appreciated.
  • Sarah
    Rockstar August 2024 Warwickshire
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    It might be a little too soon but if it feels right then go for it!

There’s nothing saying you can’t or you shouldn’t! Your styles / your taste might change over that period but there’s always possibilities of alterations etc if you really changed your mind.
    I have read things about not having many photos on your phone of your dress and putting it away to savour that moment when the time is closer and some people start over thinking their choice, and with how long away your wedding is there’s a great chance that may happen.
    Sounds so exciting though - I hope your appointment goes well and you find the one! All the best x
  • Isabella
    Isabella ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much for replying! This is also another thing I need to take into consideration. I’m just so excited and it’s so hard not to be excited! This is some great advice. I’ll definitely remember that if I do end up buying a dress. Thank you, I hope I do too! X
  • Sophie
    Beginner December 2025 Nottinghamshire
    Sophie ·
    • Hide content
    I would just go for it - I feel like once you’ve found the one, you just know! (A bit like your groom😄).

If you don’t like it nearer the time I suppose you could always sell it or get it altered. Best of luck!
  • Isabella
    Isabella ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much for your reply. Thank you, I’ve just been made to sound absolutely mad by family members getting it 3 years in advance but as you say, when you know, you just know! X
  • A
    Dedicated March 2024 Essex
    Alison ·
    • Hide content
    2026?! I didn’t realise venues were taking bookings that far out!

Honestly my main concern is what might happen to it in the 3 years until your wedding. It would be heartbreaking to get it out the wardrobe and fine the the colour had yellowed or it had been attached by moths.
    There will be other dresses you love available much closer to your wedding
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    I would go for it you will know it's your dress as soon as you try it on and style of dresses now all seem to stay the same but the possibility of alterations in the future could be good if it's not getting to you as the time comes closer but I would go for it t X let us all know how you got on x♥️
  • Isabella
    Isabella ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes, some do. And because it’s Valentine’s Day I can imagine it’ll go very quick for many venues! Yes this is also a concern of mine. I think I’m going to go anyway, see how it goes x
  • Isabella
    Isabella ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for replying. Yes definitely, I think I’m going to see how it goes and be very open minded! I definitely will, thank you! Xx
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I have had my dress for nearly two years now my wedding was next year but postponed till I don't know when so I will still have the same dress because it's the one I fell in love with stick to your heart you might even get a bargain with the dress shop closing good luck don't forget to let us know and ignore comments about it's to soon it's your choice x♥️♥️
  • Isabella
    Isabella ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for your reply! Awh bless you. I think when you know you just know it’s your dress. I’ve never don’t this before and I’m new to all this. But I’m confident that I’ll know which one is my dress! And once I’ve got my dress I won’t keep shopping around etc as I know that can be a bad thing! Just so excited to marry my best friend and finding the perfect dress! Thank you, hope everything is ok and you get married soon❤️ I’ll definitely let you all know how I got on xx
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks hun I didn't get mine from I bridal shop was under £80 from Amazon I didn't like the bridal shop idea with being plus size and only having a small wedding so didn't see the point of the expensive dress I seen this and knew straight away it was the one but did get sizing wrong and yes once you get it the best thing is to not look at more dresses I ignore my emails and cancelled catalogues I got with dresses in but I still kept on looking still didn't see one I liked so I knew it was the one so I stopped completely sorry for long text do hope you find your dream dress good luck x♥️
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks hun family drama hope you enjoy your planning here for help if you need it x♥️
  • Isabella
    Isabella ·
    • Hide content
    Thank you everybody! So I didn’t end up going today as my little girl has fallen Ill (typical luck as she’s been fine all week lol) so I will re book for during the week and let you all know how it goes ❤️Xx
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    Hope she feels better soon xx♥️♥️
  • Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content
    I personally think it’s a bit too soon. Tastes and styles will change and you have to find somewhere to store it. There will always be other sales. I’m getting married in June 2024 and I’m not going dress shopping until June 2023 x
  • Eve
    Beginner June 2025 Lincolnshire
    Eve ·
    • Hide content
    Hi

I'm getting married June 2025 and bought by yea dress on the 27th this month. I put it on and everyone cried.
    My bridal shop order it but won't get me in until 12 months before for measurements, unless the dressIs discontinued then they will get me in before so I won't loose out on my dream dress!
    It's the one I keep seeing adverts and posts on Instagram but I look at them now I have a dress and am really underwhelmed by them.
    If you know it's your dress you know.
    I hope you follow your heart!
  • A
    California
    Adelina ·
    • Hide content

It really depends on how comfortable you are with making a decision like this so far in advance. If you feel confident in your choice and are sure that you will still love the dress just as much on your wedding day, then it may be a good idea to purchase it now. However, if youre feeling uncertain or have any doubts, then it would be best to wait until you are closer to the date and can make a more informed decision.

• M
    Beginner January 2024 New York
    Melissa ·
    • Hide content

You really shouldn't go shopping until at least 12 - 18 months before your wedding . Couples tend to have longer engagements these days and the temptation is there to go looking as soon as you get the ring on your finger. I've had requests for appointments to look at dresses 3 or 4 years before the wedding day!!

Aetna Medicare

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics