Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Estina
Savvy October 2024 Gloucestershire

Unsure what to do

Estina, 6 of September of 2022 at 12:28 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 5
I got engaged 5 months ago and I think in that time I have been happy once (the day I got engaged)

My parents are so awkward, neither are interested in my wedding, my father doesn’t like my fiancé and my mother told me yesterday she thinks that I’m trying to keep up with the joneses -which for anyone that knows me, isn’t true, I’ve never been 1 to follow the crowd.
When I asked her why she said because of where its being held and how much money we are spending. Her exact words to me were
“Well, I just think if you really wanted to marry him you would, it wouldn’t be about this big venue. You would just get married and have a party so everyone can come……..I just think you have to compete with all your mates”
I understand where this comment came from, a long long time ago when all my friends were getting married and my cousin between **** I made a comment roughly on the lines of that "I hope all my friends show up for me when it's my turn cos I've been to everything"
At the time I said this I was single and I was travelling all over the world to celebrate my friends' happiness and love. I never really meant what I said I was just talking.
Now I'm engaged I'm very much aware that now most of my friends have 2-3 kids they won't be able to make my wedding and that's sad but I fully understand that. I'm late to getting married and we are not having kids at the wedding.
I am hurt by my parents' whole behaviour.
I now feel like I’m doing everything wrong. They are both making this whole experience so sad for me. They have already told me they are not helping as they don’t agree with how I’m doing it which I am fine with however I would still like for my parents to be excited for me instead of just doom and gloom.
I feel like I have waited sooo long for this as I will be an older bride, I will be 41 by the time I get married, and not one of my parents is bothered.
All I seem to be doing is crying
I am unsure what I should do. I’m second-guessing myself, feeling like I am letting everyone down. I’m sitting here wondering why everything I’m doing is so difficult for them to enjoy.
Super sad 2024 bride to be

5 replies

Latest activity by Estina, 7 of September of 2022 at 20:03
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    How sad for you and as many others on here will agree, you need to do it your own way. If they are not bothered then leave them out of all decisions and crack on with your plans. Just send an invite along with everyone else and if they don’t attend it is their loss. I know some brides on here who have gone for very small weddings and not invited parents after they haven’t felt supported. If you don’t have many friends coming to the wedding because of children then maybe consider who you are actually inviting- do you have large families and are you inviting because you feel you have to. Maybe look at the guest list again and go small and intimate. Just a thought but don’t let their negative behaviour upset what should be a special time. Good luck
  • H
    Savvy October 2022 Essex
    Helen ·
    • Hide content
    Make it all about you both and enjoy the planning! You should do it your way. My Dad can’t come to ours (although he is very supportive) and my Mum hasn’t shown any interest in our wedding but that’s fine - you can’t force other people to be excited.
    We’ve purposely planned everything ourselves without discussing the decisions/details with either family, as I didn’t want lots of opinions and interference.
    Making it all about us and what we want has made it a happy, fun time for us both as we’ve had very little to deal with in regards to family politics/interference etc. and we’re just enjoying the process together!
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Sending hugs to you xxx

One thing you find out when you get engaged is that everyone has an opinion on your relationship - since you can't please everyone, just concentrate on what you and your OH want. And celebrate with the people who are happy for you. You don't need negativity around you on your wedding day, so concentrate on the people who are positive and caring about your future.

And age is irrelevant. I was 45 when I got married, but it was no less special than if I'd been 25. Don't let other people's misery spoil your joy in your engagement xxx

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    You need to do what you both want and not listen to negative comments im 43 1st marriage been with my partner nearly 20 years and family think that they can have a say but it aint happening i now dont talk to them x You need to remember who is getting married they arent so its about who is getting married PLEASE DO YOU NO ONE ELSE X💗 and enjoy your planning x
  • Estina
    Savvy October 2024 Gloucestershire
    Estina ·
    • Hide content
    Thank you all for your kind words. I am trying daily to boost myself up and enjoy this whole process.
    XxxxX

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics