Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

W
Beginner July 2012

Vegetarian wedding breakfast ideas?

Wherts2b, 19 of October of 2011 at 16:26

Posted on Planning 159

A lot of our guests are vegetarian (myself included) and Im looking for some inspiration for menu ideas! Our venue doesn't have a lot to offer and is open to suggestion

A lot of our guests are vegetarian (myself included) and Im looking for some inspiration for menu ideas! Our venue doesn't have a lot to offer and is open to suggestion

159 replies

• W
    Beginner July 2012
    Wherts2b ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hahaha I think he's used to it by now!! ?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

He he, although I am tempted to respond:

Or learn to eat properly.

• W
    Beginner July 2012
    Wherts2b ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Love it!!!!!!!!!!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I want to say "genetic freak" but I fear people might take it as a personal insult, when it is, in fact, a joke.

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You weren't prepared to PAY for their alcohol though AJ, sam thing really?!

• W
    Beginner July 2012
    Wherts2b ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Difference being, I actually am prepared to pay for a few dead chickens!

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ha ha, I hadn't got that far down the thread when I felt the need to interject.. x

• W
    Beginner July 2012
    Wherts2b ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

lol you got a long way to go. feel free to interject at any point, there are some quite outrageous statements which I'm sure will keep you entertained ? xx

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

I've never been one to think a meal HAS to have meat. I am a meat eater but could happily live without it. I had Mediterranean Veg risotto for my wedding breakfast. Starter was mozzarella and roast tomato salad with rocket pesto if that helps you with your original post? I also had mushroom wellington at a party recently, I don't even like mushrooms that much but twas delish.

• Spring
    Beginner February 2008
    Spring ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Do you know the concept of Halal? Let me quote something for you, "This method of slaughtering animals consists of using a well sharpened knife to make a swift, deep incision that cuts the front of the throat, the carotid artery, wind pipe and jugular veins but leaves the spinal cord intact". In other words AJ, it's short and sweet, the animal has an instant death! So, what part of that is wrong to you? You try and avoid it? ?.

To the OP, do as you please on your wedding. The goats cheese and red onion tarts i've had in the past are amazing!

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I heard that quite a lot of abertoires (sp?) are now muslim owned and quite a lot of meat is halal without having had to be labelled as such. I'm not sure if this is true?

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

Aaaahhhhhh, classic hitched!

Y name is Mrs Bass, and I........am a vegetarian! have been for 20 because i dont like the tast or texture of meat, i especially dislike fish.

i do enjoy cheese and eggs!

at my wedding, out of 60 there was only 1 other veggie. this was our menu

Starters

Butternut squash, hazelnut and mascarpone risotto with oregano

Main course

Old spot pork three ways with savoy cabbage, potato gratin, onion soubise and apple

Cheese soufflé, artichoke, tomato pithivier, cannelloni o spinach and pine nut,

Dessert

Crème brulée, short bread, apple, blackberries, blackberry sorbet

Selection of cheese, grapes, walnut bread, pickle and biscuits

as there were 3 types of pork we wanted the veggie plates to reflect that with 3 things! it was yummy!

our friends got married in a vegetarian venue. (they chose it solely for the building, neither are veggies)

some fo the grooms family brought ham sarnies with them but every one really enjoyed their food! the starter was carrot & corrianda soup and the main was Glamorgan sausages!

twas yummy and the meat eaters thought so too!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No, death isn't short and sweet, the incision is may be short and sweet. The animal most certainly does not have an instant death. It can take several minutes for a cow to bleed out, all while it is conscious, with a gaping (and we have to assume, agonising) wound in its neck. If someone slits your throat, do you think you'd die instantly or painlessly?

Multiple farming and welfare groups have called on the British government to ban halal (and kosher) methods of slaughter. I support them. It seems that the issue isn't even as cut and dried within the communities performing it, with some allowing some methods of stunning.

If anyone wants some non-Wiki research:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0309174009003854 (cows take a while to lose consiousness)

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0309174008003999 (cows are breathing in blood)

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0309174011002749 (arteries "healing" and prolonging death)

• Spring
    Beginner February 2008
    Spring ·
    • Hide content

Panjita - Not sure lovely.

Bionicgrasshopper - ? you think all non Halal meat is stunned first? My point is the way the Halal meat is killed is no reason to avoid eating it, like there is something with it. Who knows how any of the meat is killed (unless you are witness to it) but I certainly wouldn't avoid halal meat for the way it's killed.Your comment about wiki; nope, first hand knowledge ?!

• Spring
    Beginner February 2008
    Spring ·
    • Hide content

I know grass hopper. It was just to quote something to AJ.

I don't get your point as I never said it wasn't? You said "I hope not all research is done on Wikipedia" and I replied "nope, first hand knowledge". In other words, no all research isn't done via wiki.

Confused where I said that quote wasn't from wiki?

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

1) I don't know enough about Halal meat to even begin commenting, so I'm not touching that one with a 10ft barge pole

2) I was vegetarian for over a decade and also got pretty sick of the same macaroni cheese and assorted pasta dishes.

3) Double and triple check that none of your guests don't also suffer with a dairy intolerance (as I do). Nothing worse than a lactose intolerant veggie being presented with a goats cheese tartlet and not being able to eat a thing!

We had a fair few vegetarians at our wedding and for our canapes we included a quail egg and avocado doodah (cracker type thingy!) and also some sort of pretencious concoction involving houmous. They went down very well and were a bit different to the usual vegetarian things I'd seen. Maybe adapting something like that for your starter could work.

• Spring
    Beginner February 2008
    Spring ·
    • Hide content

The SIL is vegetarian CO and I feel sorry for her over the choice of food she can have. I'm lucky to like most things so never struggle.

Congratulations on the little one by the way.

• Soybean
    Beginner March 2011
    Soybean ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

But you quite happily called him an idiot.

Can we stop with the name calling? it is his opinion and everyone can express theirs. It doesn't make him wrong and it certainly doesn't make him an idiot just because you don't agree with what he is saying. This also goes to whoever called him a fool.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Blimey!

OP - I'm an avid meat eater and I wouldn't mind having a veggie starter at all (unless it was goat's cheese based then have a rather mature eeeuuurrrgggghhhhhhhh!).

As for Halal meat - I don't touch it (where it remains within my control) for the very reason that FTLOMB directs us toward in her links. We are very conscious of the provenance of our meat when cooking at home and when eating out. A decent restaurant will be able to talk you through both the provenance and method of slaughter.

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content

Just because you've never heard of one, doesn't mean they can't exist! I thought you were a big advocate of 'your day your way' - why not in this instance?

I would imagine that the OP's guests consist of friends and family who know them and their preferences and as such will expect there to be more veggie food than meat.

More generally, vegetarians frequently attend events where their options are so much more limited than those of the meat eaters, so meat eaters can hardly complain on the rare occasions that it's the other way around.

• W
    Beginner July 2012
    Wherts2b ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Excellent points raised! Us veggies are too often made to feel like weirdos and an inconvenience. We always have to settle for what little options are available to us. All these discussions are making me think I'm going to scrap the meat main course and everyone can go veggie for the day!!!!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

How did this thread get onto the subject of hallal meat? ?

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

Absolutely ❤️ this thread.

Please continue.

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

PLEASE NOTE - I NEVER SAID THAT - Incorrectly quoted

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Apologies Panjita - something going on with my copy and paste technique. Corrected, both here and in original.

• Katie V
    Katie V ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Vegetarians don't eat fish. If you eat fish but no other meat you are a pescatarian. And the are more veggies than pescatarians in the world. You are also at risk of insulting veggies if you have fish on your menu. It's as good as saying the veggie option is roast beef.

• Katie V
    Katie V ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Firstly I can't believe this thread is still going!

Secondly as said previously I've been veggie for over 20 years. I do not enforce my views on others. I cook meat for friends and family. If I have children they will be brought up as meat eaters, as it is their choice. And I'd never have a full veggie menu for people at my wedding/party, as that is dictacting my views onto others which I believe is wrong.

Thirdly however......AJ I do think this is a bit wrong here. You are saying you can't compare muslim beliefs to that of a vegetarians beliefs. Yet to me being vegetarian is a major part of my life, it dictates how I live, everything about my life and I "practice" it every day. So to me it's as important as any religion! It's my belief that I shouldn't eat meat and my belief should be respected by anyone that invites me to their wedding, irrelevant of whether it's a religion or not. If my belief wasn't going to be respected I'd not be going to their wedding.

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    nicadele ·
    • Hide content

I used to be a vegetarian years ago but became very ill due to lack of iron and due to other health problems had to eat a little bit. Im still not a huge fan of it and if we go out for a meal more often than not I will pick the veggie option!

Our veggie options are a pearl barley risotto and a vegetable wellington or a goats cheese and onion marmalade tarte (sounds gorgeous might have that myself) or basically what ever else we would want. I only have one vegetarian coming to our wedding and I will be asking her what she would prefer to eat on the day.

I will also be ensuring our canapes are suitable for vegetarians and our started is also suitable for vegetarians. It would not bother me in the slightest if it was a vegetarian option.

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

AJ is religious so appears to see more meaning in the religious reasons for not eating certain foods than someone simply choosing for themselves to not eat meat. I on the other hand feel that being told to do something by an ancient book holds far less meaning than choosing to do what you feel is the right thing.

• W
    Beginner July 2012
    Wherts2b ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Agreed ?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

• R
    Beginner June 2012
    Randomsabreur ·
    • Hide content

As someone who is basically a carnivore, I wouldn't object in the slightest to there not being a "meaty" main course at a wedding of a vegetarian couple, because I wouldn't expect that couple to effectively pay for the slaughter of animals... which is what ordering and paying for the meals of people eating meat would be.

Equally, I do enjoy eating vegetarian food out and about, and sometimes cook vegetarian meals for myself and H2B, largely when we have veggie friends over to dinner.

On a recent holiday to Wales, I picked the veggie option 2 nights because they were SO tempting:

Brie, Mushroom and Cranberry Wellington, which was delicious and the other one was a rice bake with roasted root vegetables, honey and sherry, and also truely yummy. Haven't yet decided on the veggie options yet as I also have a Vegan attending, which is a little on the intimidating side, but dessert already needed an egg and lactose free option (admittedly not the same person) and I would imagine an imaginative vegan dish (not risotto as it's never that well presented) would be fine for the other vegetarians and those that do not fancy lamb (local to us, and very good welfare!)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics