Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner

Venue Nottinghamshire / Derbyshire

evenstarx, 6 May, 2011 at 21:18 Posted on Planning 0 18

Hiya guys!

I've looked through pages and pages of archives / done a lot of googling but not found the answers I'm looking for I'm afraid!

We're looking to get married next year, but have just (3 weeks ago!) had a baby so obviously looking to save money wherever possible! We're probably going to get married in our local church to save money, but we're now looking for a reception venue.

We live in Mansfield, but could look at somewhere anywhere in Nottinghamshire or Derbyshire really. We thought of possibly a barn? But haven't been able to find one yet! We ideally need somewhere we can provide our own catering, but other than that we're completely open to suggestions! I am not picky at all!!!

So - any ideas? Closer to Mansfield the better but doesn't really matter!

Thanks so much - congrats to all of you planning weddings Smiley smile x

18 replies

Latest activity by Pinky6, 18 May, 2011 at 15:27
  • Doris 5/10
    Beginner May 2013
    Doris 5/10 ·
    • Hide content

Hi and welcome

If you are on a budget have a look at the Oakham suite on Nottingham road.

It isn't a barn.....which may i add is very hard to find in notts.

• E
    Beginner
    evenstarx ·
    • Hide content

Thankyou, will definitely have a look there! Presumably you have to use their catering? The website would indicate so! I know a barn is a long shot, that's just the ideal unfortunately! I'm not even looking for a complete barn that's all done up, just a barn on someone's farm or a campsite would be perfect! However failing that Im just looking for ANYWHERE you can provide your own catering - church halls and function rooms or anything really!! Thank you for your help Smiley smile

• Doris 5/10
    Beginner May 2013
    Doris 5/10 ·
    • Hide content

You do have to use there catering but I have their brochure and it seems reasonable. It may be worth requesting one.

Rainworh Village (I had my first wedding reception there!!) is nice and you can take your own food. Your best bet would be a village hall if you want to provide you own food.

• E
    Beginner
    evenstarx ·
    • Hide content

Ooh I'll gave a look, and request a brochure too! I'll start to look for village halls too. Smiley smile

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married at Donington Park Farmhouse Hotel in Derbyshire. They do sit down meals, hog roasts and BBQs, basically whatever you want.

They have about 3 barns and get their meat from the farm! We are having a BBQ in the largest barn. The photos on their website really don't do it justice, I love it! Not sure if that's what you are looking for but we are on a budget as well and it was well within our price range.

Or, the other thought I had was the Carriage House in Plumtree? I'm not sure it's cheap though.

• E
    Beginner
    evenstarx ·
    • Hide content

The Carriage House was too expensive, just had a look. The farm hotel sounds interesting.. can you just have the BBQ without having a sit down meal too? Are you getting married there too?

Thank you Smiley smile x

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Hi and congratulations!

I looked for something similar in those areas and couldn't find anything big enough so we've gone down the completely opposite route! But while I was looking I did come across these two:

http://www.massonfarm.com/index.html - Seems they're quite open to most ideas.

Alfreton Hall was very reasonable but you did have to use their caterers.

HTH x

• E
    Beginner
    evenstarx ·
    • Hide content

Thank you! And your ring is beautiful Smiley smile

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes we are having our whole wedding there, but I don't think you have to as it's a separate cost. We are having the BBQ as our main meal, we didn't want a formal sit down meal, They are really flexible which is good. We are having bacon rolls in the evening too.

• raincloud
    Beginner August 2011
    raincloud ·
    • Hide content

There are quite a few scout camps in that area - though I am not sure if that would be what you wanted. Both Robin hood (between Mansfield and Ravenshead) and Sherbrooke (near Calverton) have buidings you can hire with a kitchen and a hall and toilets and an outdoor area you could put a marque. Also in Ravenshead there is a scout hut which is nice with kitchens, hall, toilets etc and an outside area. They would probably let you hire them and then you could do your own catering and be pretty free with what is organised.

• MonaLisaBrideToBe
    Beginner June 2012
    MonaLisaBrideToBe ·
    • Hide content

Hey! I am from Mansfield too!
    I know how difficult it is to find a venue in the area that allows its own catering in the end we had to go with somewhere that you had to have their food!

We are getting married at Rufford Country Park and Golf Club

Good Luck with your planning and let us know how you get on!! Smiley smile

• Doris 5/10
    Beginner May 2013
    Doris 5/10 ·
    • Hide content

Rufford golf club is lovely, my sister had her reception there after Vegas.

Have a look at the John Fretwell Centre. They cover the hall like a marquee with lights. It looks lovely when set up.

• E
    Beginner
    evenstarx ·
    • Hide content

Oooh checking out all these ideas! Thank you so much! And if anyone finds any others let me know, I'm emailing all these people Smiley smile

• Mrs_T2B
    Beginner May 2011
    Mrs_T2B ·
    • Hide content

Another Nottingham Bride here ? We are getting married in our local church in North Nottm & then having our reception at a hotel.

There are some beautiful venues in Notts/Derby but please shop around as somes places are lovely but you don't get a great deal for your money. We have also used all local suppliers so feel free to ask if you need any help/advice.

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

Hi

Have you looked at Yeldersley Hall near Ashbourne? We covered a wedding there a few years back and they had external caterers in. Our couple had a marquee there too, although looking on the website you can use the hall if you want to. http://www.yeldersleyhall.co.uk/private_parties_weddings.php

Ali x

• PaulsPrincess
    Beginner May 2012
    PaulsPrincess ·
    • Hide content

Hiya!!

Another Nottingham bride :-) We're getting married in Hucknall then going to Bestwood Lodge :-)!

Good luck...we were spoilt by choice more than anything :-) xxx

• N
    Beginner
    nanadacountrypark ·
    • Hide content

Newstead and Annesley Country Park, Nottinghamshire

Our beautiful 220 acre eco-friendly park just North of Nottingham is available to hire for your event. You may be looking for a special space to erect a marquee for your wedding or special event, a venue for your adventure sports company, somewhere to hold a pagan hand fasting ceremony or a posh camping site. Newstead and Annesley Country Park is the perfect venue for all these and more!

We are a park with a difference. The park is run by Newstead Enterprise - a company created by the community in Newstead Village to help create a better future for ourselves. We are run by volunteers who care passionately about the village, the Park and creating a legacy for future generations.

The Park is situated in Nottinghamshire five minutes stroll away from Newstead Train station and 3 mile drive from junction 27 of the M1.

Built on the site of the former colliery pit tips, the whole area has amazing wildlife interest. The village is working with a number of environmental groups to protect and enhance the area, half of which is a ‘Site of Importance for Nature Conservation’.

At the heart of our Park is our eco-build Visitor Centre (due to open later in 2011) - based on the earthship method of construction - being a building which is pushing the boundaries of green technology and hand built by members of our community. The visitor centre will also be available to hire for events towards the end of 2011.

There is a B&B in Annesley Village and a hotel within a few minutes taxi ride. Alternatively you could use our local Yurt/Tipi company and make a weekend of it on the park itself. Perhaps you’d like to get married at the local Abbey and hold your reception in our country park? You may be an adventure company looking for a zorbing venue......The possibilities are endless.

We welcome everyone to our park - and look forward to hosting many events that fit with our ethos. All types of events are welcome. Please visit our website: www.newsteadandannesleycountrypark.com or contact ****************@*****.*** to see how we can support you in creating your event.

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooh we went to look round here and it was on our venue shortlist!! We decided on the West Retford Hotel in the end, they do a fairytale package for 60 daytime guests inc 3 courses and drinks package plus 100 evening guests with buffet plus a few extras for £4995. The hotel is gorgeous and we are having a civil ceremony outside in the gardens. Its about 30-40 mins from Mansfield

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content

oops sorry no its £3995 ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics