Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Venue/suppliers not accepting credit card

25 August, 2011 at 18:25 Posted on Planning 0 12

Slight rant here. We just got an unexpected invoice from our venues in house caterer, they want £1200 deposit to secure prices - within 7 days! We only just set the date and deliberatley set it for 18months time to give us chance to save up. OH's parents kindly paid the deposit on the actual venue. Have sorted out a couple 0% credit cards for us for the meantime so we can still buy stuff as we go but this catering invoice says you can only pay by cheque, they don't accept debit or credit card payment. What to do?! Seems really weird, silly and annoying that they won't accept CC. Anyone else found this problem and how did you get around it?

12 replies

Latest activity by alocin88, 26 August, 2011 at 13:19
  • M
    Beginner April 2011
    mrsrh* ·
    • Hide content

Not sure what to suggest, but we checked with everyone when looking at booking as to how we could pay and when they required what amount of money. I think i'd be tempted to call them, tell them you can't pay up that amount of money without putting it on the cc. Can you use other caterers if they refuse to book without that kind of deposit? It does seem a HUGE deposit to pay at this stage - how much are you planning on spending with them?? Our caterer only required a £100 deposit until full payment 2 weeks beforehand. Thinking about it, he would only accept cheque or bank transfer. I'd be looking at your contract for the venue and any other correspondance from the caterer, but usually it's a case of they can stipulate what they want really as it's their business. A good company should try to help you to resolve things. Hope you manage to sort something out.

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

£9k on food!! Who you feedin, the army? ?

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

Are you the one that's getting married at Wasing Park?

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

Thought so. Are you using Cherubs for your flowers/venue dressing?

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content

Wow, 9k on food. That, plus the rest of the wedding is an awful lot of money to have to save up in 18 months.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

It was my second choice venue; it's stunning. Marc and James at Cherubs are amazing and I throughly recommend them.

• alocin88
    Beginner
    alocin88 ·
    • Hide content

If you have a little more time why not put your normal monthly spending - e.g. food shopping, petrol etc on the credit card and then you can save the equivalent cash from your bank account. You end up with the same amount on the credit card, but you have cash to pay the caterer.

Beware of credit card cheques - they are basically another way to do a cash advance (equivalent to getting cash out at a cash point on your credit card) and can be massively expensive - you will normally pay a really high % interest on them as the 0% deals do not normally cover cash advances.

Hope you manage to sort it all out.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics