Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Curious June 2023 Worcestershire

very nervous about telling parents we Don't want them to pay

Sarah, 9 of July of 2021 at 15:56 Posted on Planning 0 9

I posted a couple of weeks ago about my dad blowing up and causing a massive scene at a meal out over a jug of gravy which cost £1 (something he does very regularly) my H2B was aware of how he is but this time he got to see it first hand and he has been very clear with me that he does NOT want my dad to pay for or have any involvement in our wedding particularly the venue/reception so he can't kick off on the day or be rude to people.

Since we got engaged last month my dad has already said a number of times about how he will be paying for it, and making jokey messages about how he'll have to save up now we are engaged (he doesn't need to save up, money is just a thing he jokes about a lot - another thing which annoys my H2B how he acts like he has no money and it's a hardship for him)

Anyway we have already booked our venue and paid the £500 deposit before I even got my engagement ring (we do things very backwards) but my parents don't know. I have done it this way as I just want to do my own thing with very little to no involvement from external sources.

I need to obviously tell my parents that we are getting married on the 10th June 2023 and am going to tell them that we have already paid for the whole venue (something to do with they gave us this years price so saved £700 or something like that)

I just know he will be offended when I tell him. I am hoping to soften the blow and say I would much prefer him to buy my dress & maybe the photographer you know the things we can keep and look back on rather than just paying for everyone to eat and drink if he absolutely insists on contributing. I'm hoping he accepts this.

I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place as only 2 days after being engaged my dad was brought up in conversation with my H2B and him being adamant that he wants my dad to have no involvement in the venue which caused a bit of upset and I was left in the toilet of a restaurant crying because I feel like the enjoyment is already ruined.

I'm struggling to get excited about being engaged / getting married until I tell my dad we have already booked it and don't need any help with money. I am thinking of using the following reasons to help my case

1. My partner has been married once so we are not asking / expecting his parents to contribute (as they paid for some of his first wedding) so don't want my parents to contribute

2. We got a £700 discount for paying the venue now to get this years price rather than 2023 price

Sorry for the long winded post, if you knew my dad you would understand why I am so hept up and nervous over the whole thing. I am going to see him next Monday so will have to tackle this then.

9 replies

Latest activity by Michelle, 20 of July of 2021 at 20:21
  • Marcie
    Rockstar August 2021 Bristol
    Marcie ·
    • Hide content
    You have to be firm, it’s your day so it’s up to you what you do. Just say thank you for your kind offer but we want to pay for our wedding ourselves but I would love for you to buy my dress as that would make it special etc etc , good luck xx
  • Littlemy
    Dedicated April 2022 Kent
    Littlemy ·
    • Hide content
    Just be really assertive and let him know that although you appreciate it you and your h2b would rather pay for that element. Distract him then with talk about the parts your happy for him to pay for. Hope it goes ok
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    Tell him how you both feel and its your choice x i am not even telling my parents we are getting married they want a big wedding we dont so we are going to tell them after we have got married. Good luck with everythin x
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

You are preparing to start a new life with your fiance - there's never going to be a better time to start setting some good boundaries with your father.

Tell him asap that you have booked the venue and date and focus on how excited you are to be getting married and how much you are looking forward to him being there. If he offers to pay, then I think your idea of saying how much you would love his money to go towards something more personal, like the dress or photos, is a great way of defusing the situation. Just make sure that whatever he contributes, he doesn't end up trying to take over - for this reason, I'd suggest that the dress is the best thing to steer him towards. Most dads aren't going to get heavy handed over dress design, whereas he might feel he can throw his weight around over something like photography!

• Ella
    Beginner August 2022 West Sussex
    Ella ·
    • Hide content
    Gosh sounds so tricky! Be brave and tell your parents sooner rather than later but I would say keep it positive and go down the route of wanting to be independent and do it yourself rather than not wanting him to pay which might sound more negative… good luck! X
  • M
    Beginner July 2021 Staffordshire
    Mrs ·
    • Hide content

I am wondering why everyone (myself included) tip toes around other people’s unreasonable behaviour and agonises over ways to tell them things without offending them?

I think you should say Dad your behaviour is often unacceptable and i simply wont have it at my wedding so you need to leave all the arrangements to me and just turn up and enjoy yourself.

Don’t let him buy the dress, he will be dictating what you wear!

Good luck (from someone who sacked a best man and 3 bridesmaids for being rude ignorant pigs)

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    Tell me about my parents want me to have a big wedding them paying which i dont want because all i would get is i payed for that and this its to expensive get something cheaper plus my family dont really like my partner still after 19 years thats the reason i am doing the registry x I wish you all the best good luck x💗
  • Roxy
    Curious June 2022 Devon
    Roxy ·
    • Hide content

Why are parents so mental?! MY MIL would have literally everyone she knows at our wedding if we let her. She keeps telling us she wants to give us money and will say things like 'i feel like I should pay because I have such a big family. I'm worried she thinks giving us money will mean she can buy peoples seats. I've said we'll let her pay for something eg. food. I'd much rather this than just a lump of money so she thinks she has some say. She also asked how our wedding is going to be a wedding not just a party but that's another story!

As other people have said I think you need to tell your dad it's your day and you're doing what you want. Maybe give him the receipt for something like the photographer and ask for the money for that to ensure he doesn't have any choice in anything. The older generation seem to be really set in their ways about what a wedding should be and it's hard to tell them to stay out of it!.

• Sarah
    Dedicated September 2020 West Sussex
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    Oh I’m sorry it didn’t go to plan, you didn’t fail! I’m glad your partner understands that you tried your best.

Honestly if your dad does put money in your account I would either send it back or just not spend it. Say thank you but you explained to him that you do not want help paying for the venue and when you are looking at dresses you will be so happy if the money went to that but it will not be paying for the venue. As hard as it might be you may need to be blunt with him and say you don’t want him to complain as you don’t want him to have a reason to make a scene and it’s got you really stressed and upset, maybe having it spelt out for him he might think again
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    I am sorry it didnt go well with your dad the good thing is your partner understands if your dad does put money in your account you could use it towards your dress and all the other stuff then just tell him after its all payed for good luck x💗

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics