Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Missus S

Wearing black to a wedding

Missus S, 13 July, 2012 at 14:32

Posted on Planning 45

I cant remember if theres a 'rule' about this. Or was that red? A few girls wore black dresses to mine and didnt bother me, but do some brides get funny about it?

I cant remember if theres a 'rule' about this. Or was that red?

A few girls wore black dresses to mine and didnt bother me, but do some brides get funny about it?

45 replies

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Do you not think it would be more ignorant to eject people from your wedding because you're too precious to have anyone else there in white or ivory?

You haven't offended anyone, I just honestly can't fathom why anyone would care so much about what clothes people stick on for their wedding.

• Earthy
    Beginner August 2012
    Earthy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Completely agree.
    I think this attitude is a bit silly, no one is going to mistake them for the bride I really don't see what the issue is. If you're going to reject people because of what they're wearing this is going to reflect badly on you in the long run.

I can't wait to see everyone, no matter what they are wearing.

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

Well after much deliberation and nothing else that will fit over my expanding bump, I am going for a black shift dress with colourful shoes/bag/wrap. The more I think about it, I can count at least 5 women who wore black dresses to mine and I didn't bat an eyelid. It didn't register till reading that thread. If the bride is that appalled, I know our large group of friends would tell her to get a grip of herself ? In pretty certain she won't be fazed though..

• *Eclair*
    Beginner August 2012
    *Eclair* ·
    • Hide content

If a wedding guest can't work out who the bride is because there is another person in white...what on earth are they doing at the wedding? I can't imagine going to a wedding without at least know what the bride and groom look like!

• Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Took the words out of my mouth! I don't give two hoots what colours my guests wear to my wedding ... as long as they don't turn up in Madeline Gardner Federica then they're sweet as ?

• Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content

By the way, I think black to a wedding can look gorgeous, particularly if accessorised with splashes of bright colour.

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

Black at a wedding is fine - I wouldn't wear it, but I never wear black anywhere as I don't like it, as a general rule. The only thing I would say, is black can look quite glam and evening-y so whack a nice pashmina/shawl on for the daytime bits to soften the look a bit.

• O
    Beginner September 2013
    oggers86 ·
    • Hide content

I would be hugely concerned if the people attending my wedding mistook someone else wearing a white dress for me...hell even if was an identical dress I would still be concerned that my friends and family didnt know who I was ?

• Sarah-March-2013
    Beginner March 2013
    Sarah-March-2013 ·
    • Hide content

I've just bought a black dress for an upcoming wedding, I think in some sort of protest to the OP of the "unusual requests" thread! It's in my bedroom where there is a sleeping OH but I will flash it on this thread tomorrow and you can tell me if its inappropriate. Wouldn't want the bride to not so politely tell me to leave or owt.
  • LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

Wouldn't bother me one bit

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

Its fine, I've just bought a lovely nude and black dress (mainly black) to wear to a wedding in 3 weeks time. I would say that though, I had black bridesmaids dresses! I'm clearly not down with wedding etiquette!?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics