Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah-March-2013
Beginner March 2013

Wedding band discount if you bought engagement ring from the same place?

Sarah-March-2013, 8 January, 2012 at 21:58 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hiya, my fiance bought my engagement ring from Beaverbrooks and we were in there again looking at wedding bands, I have found one I like but its a few hundred over budget. I asked them if they would do us a discount on our wedding bands as we got our (expensive) enagement ring and she just kept giving me the very kryptic "come back when u want to buy". Has anyone had this? What sort of percentage could we expect? What about if it was just me who bought my wedding band there? H2B just wants a cheap gold band and the one they gave him to try on was £950!

Thanks x

13 replies

Latest activity by **Shelley**, 9 January, 2012 at 09:31
  • Tracy2012
    Beginner June 2012
    Tracy2012 ·
    • Hide content

We bought ours from Ernest Jones. They gave us a 10% discount off our wedding rings as we bought my engagement ring there.

• AllyMcBear
    Beginner June 2012
    AllyMcBear ·
    • Hide content

The place where my H2B bought mine was giving us a 10% discount if we bought our WR there.

We didnt go with them and went with Smooch instead.

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content

This is the same for me- we bought my engagement ring from Earnest Jones and they used to have an offer on that you get a discount off your wedding bands if you bought your wedding ring from there- Our problem is we have been engaged for 5 years and my OH can't find the receipt now so we can't prove where we got it although they do still have this style in and is unique to them i think. It is 2 tone gold princess cut diamond.

We have just decided to shop around. I have actually seen one i really like on warren james website and can't believe how cheap it is- but i am wondering if they last or are as strong as they are so cheap.

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

We had a friend who used to manage a Goldsmiths store. He said on any given day they easily have 10% discount, but more likely to give it on a weekday when they will generally make less sales. A Manager will often be able to give up to 25% whilst still reatianing some profit.

I think the reason the sales person was being cryptic is that they won't promise discount without you being ready to buy.

I would go back, knowing what you will pay for it, play the 'we got the engagement ring here' card along with 'we are ready to pay to day, up to £(a bit below your max), what can you do?'

Good luck!

• ButterflyChild
    Beginner May 2013
    ButterflyChild ·
    • Hide content

My H2B got my engagement ring from Ernest Jones, they have offered us 10% off our wedding bands when we're ready to buy them, its even written on the inside of the folder that holds my diamond certificate in it...So I shall be waving it in their faces if there is an issue!!!! x

• ButterflyChild
    Beginner May 2013
    ButterflyChild ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am also going to keep this in mind as we've spotted some lovely wedding bands that are a tad pricey - thanks for this x ?

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

No worries! Happy shopping, we need to get on to that soon!

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content

I know some places (Ernest Jones/H.Samuel) give 10% discounts if you have bought your ER with them, I wouldn't have thought anywhere would give you much more discount than that. Maybe it's worth pricing up the ring you like then getting Smooch round and seeing what price they can do you.

If your looking for a cheap ring for your OH, we got a plain silver band from Warren James half price at £25. My OH wasn't bothered about a ring either a didn't want to spend a fortune on it so this was perfect, maybe have a look in there for him?

• M
    Beginner June 2012
    miss_sunshine ·
    • Hide content

I work as a jewellery photographer and have heard a lot of high street jewellers increase prices by 400% as all the jewellery is made out in india and china. Don't feel bad asking for more than 10% off!

• ButterflyChild
    Beginner May 2013
    ButterflyChild ·
    • Hide content

Luckily, my OH is not afraid to ask for money off...Its sometimes cringeworthy because he just blurts it out lol!! His motto is 'if ya don't ask, ya don't get..' which is absolutely right I suppose!!

• xMissyLoux
    Beginner September 2012
    xMissyLoux ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm the same, ER came from H Samuel (pretty sure they're part of Ernest Jones!?) and we got a voucher when ER was bought saying 10% off WR. The day we went in to 'browse' WR and ended up buying them we didn't have our receipt or anything on us but they gave us the discount anyway, so worth asking if u like anything in Ernest Jones!

• M
    Beginner June 2012
    miss_sunshine ·
    • Hide content

Your right. Ernest Jones is the exact same shop as Leslie Davis and the same group as H Samuel. They are also out in the USA under a different name too. I would say be careful if shopping at places like this as the gold they used is mixed with a soft alloy which makes the rings weaker. (and cheaper to produce). Warren James is cheap as it will be cheap metal they use prone to snapping. Remember you won't be able to get your money back if this shops go bust in the recession.

You get what you pay for. Jewellery and proper diamonds are expensive so if you buy cheap you get a cheap product. see peoples comments here:

http://www.canyoutrustthem.com/index.php?go=quick_search&keyword=Ernest+Jones+Jewellers

Goldsmiths is better quality. I would use them instead if you can.

• becomingmrsevans
    Beginner August 2012
    becomingmrsevans ·
    • Hide content

My ER was from an independent jewellers - they did have a lovely WR but even with the 10% discount was out of my budget. After some consideration I decided to go for a Palladium ring instead of Platinum, sitting the two rings together can't tell the difference! We have been saving up Tesco vouchers and so I was able to pay for my ring in full from Goldsmiths just before Christmas! Smiley smile OH didn't want a 'fancy metal', he liked the idea of a tungsten ring (as it wasn't as shiny) - So effectively, mine was 'free' using vouchers - and his was £75. Just waiting for mine to arrive in store now.

• **Shelley**
    Beginner October 2012
    **Shelley** ·
    • Hide content

My H2B got my ring from a jewellers in Hatton Garden, London. We get a 25% discount on our bands from there.

becomingmrsvens, I like your style! We bought a coffee machine with our vouchers! Smiley surprise)

x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics