Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Luna_12
Beginner October 2012

wedding cake woes

Luna_12, 27 September, 2012 at 08:19 Posted on Planning 0 18

H2b and I have decided not to have our wedding cake made by our friend. H2b wanted a fruit cake bottom tier which she was unable to do. She is also a BM and I dont want her running round trying to sort the cake, I would rather she was with me relaxing before the big day. I have messaged her telling her not to make the cake for those reasons. Luckily she was waiting for me to pay her for the ingredients so she wont have bought anything yet. We have decided to opt for an M&S cake instead. The one we want says can be delivered within 1 week but then needs to be eaten within 5 days. Anybody else had an m&s cake? If so when did you order yours. We have 23 days to go x

18 replies

Latest activity by Luna_12, 29 September, 2012 at 18:04
  • *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I think M&S cakes are a great affordable and reliable option, as someone else mentioned better to order sooner rather then later and arrange for collection nearer your date.

• Luna_12
    Beginner October 2012
    Luna_12 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you JoJo. xxxx

• xlovebirdsx
    Beginner August 2012
    xlovebirdsx ·
    • Hide content

We had an m&s cake. 1 teir fruit 1 sponge 1 choc
    we ordered it a month before and arranged the collection day to be 2 days before the wedding
    the venue set it up for us on the day

• Luna_12
    Beginner October 2012
    Luna_12 ·
    • Hide content

That looks fab! Think I will order it now and arrange to pick it up two days before the wedding just in case Smiley smile Thank you so much for the flash Smiley smile

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Your cake looks lovely. I'll defo be looking in to the M&S and Waitrose options as I have never heard anything bad about them.

My friend had one from Waitrose which looked yummy (was too busy dancing to actually remember to eat any)!

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Cake topper twin!!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

We also had M&S, I ordered about a month in advance and arranged collection for the Thursday before the Saturday wedding... it was delicious!

We had the individual tiers.

• H
    Beginner July 2013
    helzbelz200 ·
    • Hide content

Mrs C: I want your cake toppers, they are so cute. Where did you get them from? My OH want all penguin cupcakes, I've said we can have penguin cake toppers as a compromise.

• mrsgreatbatch2b
    Beginner July 2012
    mrsgreatbatch2b ·
    • Hide content

I know quite a few people who have had M&S and they are very nice. Have a look at Tesco as well.

• Luna_12
    Beginner October 2012
    Luna_12 ·
    • Hide content

We ordered the cake this morning, for delivery on the wednesday as we are crazy busy from the Thursday with h2b's family arriving. Cant wait, I am so excited Smiley smile

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Thanks, I made them!

• J
    jenny@lavender-cakes.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Although the cakes I have seen so far haven't looked too bad (and I can see the faults in the covering) I would just ask you to think really hard about choosing an M&S cake. As a cake decorator I have heard lots of nightmare stories about them and I've seen the results too. Yes they are cheaper for those who are budget conscious and some brides don't see the cake as an important part of the day but a cake is a traditional part of the wedding, it is also going to feature heavily in your photograph selection. I have attached two photo's so you can see what might be delivered. The first photograph is of the uneven, dented and wonky cakes that were delivered to the couple. The second photo shows them after my cake decorator friend had done her best to make them look presentable (though they are still wonky to look at), on the left of the second photo you can see what the depth of the same sized tiers would look like had she originally made the cake. I've seen a lot of 'patch up' jobs on M&S cakes which has ended up costing the B&G the same again for it to be fixed.

An option you could choose and still have your friend make the cake is to use fake tiers of polystyrene dummies. She could decorate that now and then a couple of days before the wedding all she would need to do is bake sponge cakes for the kitchen to cut up! I have a nice fruit cake recipe I can pass on if that is what she is worrying about? A lot of shops these days hire out large enough tins, if she bakes a ten inch round that would do for the main cake and you could have a 6" and 8" dummy as top tiers. Just an easier option for your friend, you have plenty of time!

• J
    • Hide content

I've just noticed that you have ordered it already, I wish you well for your wedding day x

• Chickster
    Beginner August 2013
    Chickster ·
    • Hide content

Everyone I know that had an M&S wedding cake has been really pleased with them - they looked great and tasted great.

• Luna_12
    Beginner October 2012
    Luna_12 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I always thought if you wanted a decent fruit cake it should be made at least a month or so in advance (or maybe that's just me with my mega alcoholic xmas cake). I only really want a couple of pictures of the cake in our photo's the rest I want of us with the people there. Tbh I don't agree with using polystyrene dummy cakes when I can actually make celebration cakes myself but didn't want the hassle of doing one the week of my own wedding. We have only heard good things about the m&s cakes and honestly its only the cake, there are worse things to go wrong maybe Im just too laid back ?

• J
    • Hide content

Hey, I like my fruit cakes baked in advance too but honestly it is just as scrumptious baked the week before, it just needs a little more care when it's cut, a sharp serrated knife helps prevent any possible crumbling.

Like I said, to some people the cake isn't a hugely important factor in their day and then for others it's the be all and end all. I wasn't knocking M&S cakes, just wanted you to be aware of what it could possibly look like but you sound like you're in a good position to handle it if it isn't 100% spot on.

I actually love to use dummy tiers, mainly for top tiers if they're small, flowers or bride and groom toppers are then fixed to these and can be kept as a keepsake. Or if couples want a multi tiered cake but without all of it being cake it is another great option. They do have their uses Smiley winking

I hope you have a great wedding day, it sounds like you're really busy at the moment, I remember the excitement well xx

• Luna_12
    Beginner October 2012
    Luna_12 ·
    • Hide content

I must just be a big fatty lol if I ordered a cake and paid as much for it as i know a lot of people do I would be really pee'd off to find out it wasn't all cake. Fingers crossed ours will be ok if not Im sure I can make some last minute adjustments ? The dummy tiers looked very useful for sticking artificial flowers into if that was the desired look between each tier but I prefer the traditional pillars (perhaps Im extremely old fashioned). Thanks for the well wishes it is rather crazy atm ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics