Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner June 2013

Wedding cakes, sponge or fruit cake?

Bubbles369, 23 of June of 2012 at 16:34 Posted on Planning 0 20

The last wedding I went to had a similar number of guests to mine, and the next day the remaining cake was pakaged up to give back the the wedding party. There was tons left! I'm talking over half the cake, and it wasn't huge!

Now I am not a huge fan of fruit cake, so was thinking of sponge but, I don't think sponge will keep very long. (does anyone actually know how long it will keep for?) I assume that by the time we are back from honeymoon it will have gone off. So I'm thinking now maybe fruitcake may be the way to go so that it could be kept and also will save better if it is posted to absent guests.

Anyone else thought about this? Maybe half and half is the way to go?

20 replies

Latest activity by AmandaDixon, 25 of June of 2012 at 22:18
  • K
    Beginner March 2013
    kay;) ·
    • Hide content

Ive never actually thought of the cake going off but your right....i dont even know how long sponge keeps for?? we both hate fruit cake so was going to have a 3 tier cake with chocolate,lemon and vanilla layers Smiley smile

• Lola67
    Beginner July 2013
    Lola67 ·
    • Hide content

Neither of us is a huge fruit cake fan either so we're going for sponge which I may make myself (I'm going to have a trial run soon to see how I get on). I hadn't thought about what to do with any left over... How about having a sponge cake for the day (if that's what you'd prefer) and maybe getting a smaller fruit cake specifically to send to absent guests? I think you're right that a sponge won't last very long, especially once it's been cut, they generally need to be eaten within a couple of days.

• skyrocket
    Beginner July 2012
    skyrocket ·
    • Hide content

God I love fruit cake!

I have made my own three tier wedding cake and I love the fact I made it myself. It was an absolute labour of love.

All three tiers are fruit cake and I honestly don't care whether any of my guests like fruit cake or not. Those that do will enjoy and those that don't won't have any.

I don't mind if I spend the next year living off my wedding cake! Smiley smile

• ladyzoot
    Beginner August 2012
    ladyzoot ·
    • Hide content

We're having 3 tiers: top one chocolate, middle lemon sponge and bottom fruit cake. I don't like fruit cake but lots of people 'expect' a wedding cake to be fruit cake, and as this is the biggest layer any left should keep a while.

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

Sponge cake won't last long once it has been cut (at least that's what I'm led to believe). But tjat said, I hate fruit cake and wouldn't eat it at the wedding, so we are going for the bottom layer as fruit cake (someone will eat it I'm sure) and the 2 above as sponge. I'm not too worried about it being eaten. Myself and other members of my family are very much into cake. If there is any left, we will just give it to family the day after, what they don't eat can be binned as I will have had my fair share before then Smiley smile

• I
    Beginner March 2013
    icklelea ·
    • Hide content

• O
    Beginner January 2011
    onetwothree ·
    • Hide content

Well I guess the first thing to do is work out how much cake you need.... We're having it as our dessert so are getting a lot. If you are having a separate dessert, then don't order as much. It's also easy o get different types of cake in different layers. That way everything is covered!

• J
    jules40 ·
    • Hide content

As a cake maker I would say fruit doesn't get eaten so much and only really keeps for a long time if its not been cut and is packaged well. I would go for different flavours of sponge and ask for it to be served as part of the evening buffet. Not everyone will eat cake and you do not need to cater for all your guests.

• Aurora Borealis
    Beginner June 2013
    Aurora Borealis ·
    • Hide content

I am going to have 2 layers of sponge and 1 of fruit.

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I had a 3 tier fruit and the top and half the middle layer were left, fortunately I absolutely love fruit cake. Because you cut the bottom layer at the ceremony that is the one that is cut and given out to guests usually. if you are worried about having loads left get the venue to give bigger portions, usually it is tiny considering what gets left over.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Funny you should say this, these are our exact flavours too and I am currently arguing with my mother (who is making the cake) over the ordering of the layers. We want it to be bottom chocolate, middle lemon and top fruit. I am a mad chocoholic and don't really like fruit cake. I only ever agreed to fruit cake as it could easily be made as gluten free and be suitable for my dad but my mum reckons the middle layer should be fruit and top lemon as 'more people like fruit cake than lemon cake'. I've tried telling her we're choosing flavours based on what WE like but she doesn't get it!!

• swampy1901
    Beginner August 2012
    swampy1901 ·
    • Hide content

My sister is doing a fruit cake for us and is in discussions with our cupcake lady - so that on the day it will be a surprise for both OH and myself. Between them they will design and coordinate decorations/display - I have given suggestions for what I would like but ultimately this is something that will be beyond my control ️?️ The cupcakes will be lemon, orange and vanilla favoured and the fruit cake can be sent out to people who can't join us on the day!!

Swampy

• O
    Beginner August 2012
    olderbride ·
    • Hide content

We both love fruit cake but are also aware that a lot of our close family members don't. We are having 3 tiers, the bottom largest one is chocolate, the middle one is lemon sponge and the top one is fruit. We are going to cut it during the wedding breakfast but we are then going to leave it on display so tht our evening guests can see it. It will then be taken away and cut up and served with the evening buffet. If there is any left we will take it home the next day.

• rachel2012
    Expert June 2024
    rachel2012 ·
    • Hide content

We are having lemon, chocolate and plain sponge in ours, hoping that if we tell the cake maker how many guests we have she will make it for roughly that amount of people.

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

We're going for a mixture. People like lots of different cakes and some guests will expect fruit cake at a wedding.

Ours is bottom fruit cake, middle tier carrot cake, top tier, chocolate cake.

• J
    julianna ·
    • Hide content

If your sponge is a Maderia it will keep for about a week once cut. Maderia sponges can have jam in the middle

• DaffyB
    Beginner June 2012
    DaffyB ·
    • Hide content

We had a 4 tier cake. The bottom tier was fruit cake, then chocolate, then vanilla sponge and then the top tier was fruit cake so that we could keep it. I love marzipan so I love fruit cake for that reason. We had cake along with cheese & biscuits plus bread rolls for the evening buffet. When I went to get some cake at the end of the evening all of the cake had gone and I wasn't happy that i didn't even get to taste it. My hubby didn't get any either. So we decided to have the top tier the next day instead of keeping it.

• O
    Beginner September 2013
    oggers86 ·
    • Hide content

I am definately going for sponge, I am actually contemplating red velvet, going to make myself a cake in the next few weeks and see what it tastes like .

I am going with the smallest cake possible, if there is some left over then I will eat it as we arent going on our honeymoon until a couple of weeks later.

• A
    Beginner August 2012
    AmandaDixon ·
    • Hide content

We got our cake from marks and spencer, we oredered a 3 tier sponge cake aswell as 2 fruit and 1 chocolate cutting bar incase guest wanted something different.

we aint too worried about if we have cake left over as one way or another it will get eaten lol xxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics