Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Blonde Viki
Beginner July 2012

Wedding Car Costs *slightly ranty*

Blonde Viki, 2 June, 2011 at 08:16 Posted on Planning 0 26

Following on from what Lil Miss Red has said about her car hire quote, I am beginning to wonder if this is not the one wedding service offering the least value for money!

I’m beginning to think wedding cars might be more of a dream than a reality for our wedding.

We need one car, for one hour, to make two short trips amounting to about 20 miles (total, including their trip from where the car is stored). We've been looking at a Rolls Royce or Bentley, that sort of thing, as it needs to transport 4 people. I should add that this is in Derbyshire.

After having finally received a quote of £350, which I still thought was on the high side considering our small requirements and we’re a late wedding so they can use the car for an early wedding on the same day (their t’s and c’s did not indicate a one-wedding-per-day policy), I was willing to accept this simply to have the transport booked. On asking the company to send me an invoice with an outline of what the quote covers, they have now replied to say the quote was a mistake and ‘I must have known it was too good to be true’ – the real price is £895.

Firstly, how is the better part of £400 to borrow a nice car for an hour ‘too good to be true?’ or am I really setting my expectations too high? Secondly, that’s the second quote we’ve had at near to £900 so I’m guessing my budget of less than half that is unrealistic. (The first company were already booked for our date - first time that's happened - eeek!)

I know I don’t need the car. It won’t be a big feature as it will be dropping people off before most of the guests have arrived and the groomsparty and bridesmaids could just go in a taxi, but this was my opportunity to do one of those little things that makes the day a bit special for the people around me. My mum's always wanted to go in a Rolls Royce ?

We’re going to make some more searches, perhaps widening the type of car we’re looking at, to see what might be available for a more reasonable price. My gripe with this is that if we’re only looking at being able to have fairly normal cars at £400, then the point of it being special is undermined and we’re back to the taxis!! Someone please tell me if I've just got my figures all wrong on this one!

*headdesk*

26 replies

Latest activity by moonpie1985, 2 June, 2011 at 18:57
  • S
    Beginner May 2012
    ShellG ·
    • Hide content

That does seem rather expensive!!

I am having an old RR and paying £295 for 2 trips.......!

• happy_feet
    Beginner
    happy_feet ·
    • Hide content

I must admit, the one thing I am really gutted about not having is transport, however just couldn't justify the cost. Instead we booked a venue with a Bridal changing area so hopefully it will still be as special!

The next morning we can use our (well OH- but it will be half mine by then!?) convertible car to drive off in the morning Will and Kate style!

• BrideMrsT2B
    Beginner June 2011
    BrideMrsT2B ·
    • Hide content

I have no idea what our wedding car is costing as my brother and his OH have paid for it as our present but I really hope its not that much!!

I did look into getting a Bentley sporty new thing for my H2B to arrive in with his best man but the quotes for that were around £900 for 30 mins!!! Get real!!

• T
    Beginner October 2012
    traciehavard ·
    • Hide content

That does seem really expensive, we had a quote for 2 hummer 12 seater limos for 500 for the both, if i was you i would shop around look in your local yell.com or google it x

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

I couldn't justify the costs of cars even with the hideous costs of petrol at the moment! H2bs uncle is driving us in his jag

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

That's ridiculous! how can a car company charge that amount for such a short period of time? We've got a Beauford and a 7 seater Mercedes Mini-Bus for £360 and the company said that they would do as many trips as was needed to get everyone to the venue and the driver will hang about until after the ceremony and take us for a drive.

I wonder if it has to do with what time of year you get married because we've had quotes for things and then when we mention we're getting married in December, and on a Thursday, suddenly they discount a whole load off the original quote!

• kittykat9/9
    Beginner October 2011
    kittykat9/9 ·
    • Hide content

This is also my current rant. Your quote seems very high but I'm wondering whether it is in part the miles involved rather than time. I am getting ready in a hotel less than 10 minutes WALK from the venue and we have been offered £175 for a mercedes E class to do the two journeys (BM's and mum , me and dad) with no charge for waiting around (gee thanks). That was just with a posh London minicab firm after we looked at a traditional cab and it was over £200. Noone will see me arrive and the ceremony is the same as the reception but like you all I was hoping for something fancier as a special occasion but we just cannot justify it when there is so much money to be spent elsewhere. Looks like we will have a regular cab. If I could guarantee the weather would be perfect for walking I would walk but I can't take that risk.

I know they have to maintain the cars etc but the prices do seem ridiculous for what we all need and I don't understand the minimum 3 hour hire period - if I only want it for under an hour surely they can hire it for that time and then go off to another booking for the rest or is it all a con to get us to pay more knowing we're not going to use it for the full 3 hours? (tempted to make him sit outside 'just in case' for the full 3 hours even though we'll be eating by that point mwahahahah)

Sorry - i'll step off the rant box now

• Browny
    Beginner June 2011
    Browny ·
    • Hide content

There is no way I would spend that amount of money on transport. I'm sorry but its riddiculous! Yes you can have a couple of nice photos but are you REALLY going to miss the photos if they arent there?

A friend of ours is hiring a Mercedes E Class and is driving me and my dad to the church and then me and OH to reception venue. We were quite happy with his BMW but he wanted to hire it so that was his choice. It probably cost him a couple of hundred for the weekend I would think - but part of that is for his own enjoyment of driving it down from Peterborough to London and back again after the wedding! He's decorating it for us as well.

Is that something you could do? Do you have a friend that could drive you and hire a nice car for the day?

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

YIKES that is a scary quote. We briefly looked into car hire and the average we were told is about £450 for a Bentley or old RR (that's in Milton Keynes), although that was for a shorter journey than yours so maybe the mileage is what's driving up your quotes.

In the end we used MIL's MG and my dad's Jag. They looked super with the ribbons on AND happened to match perfectly with the blue in our colour scheme!

Try asking around to see if anyone has a nice car you could use. Also look at places like Gumtree for smaller businesses advertising. You might find a cheaper option there.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

£900 seems high when we were quoted under £400 for a day's use of a vintage Routemaster bus, although limited mileage it was well within our requirements.

In the end we didn't go for it as our numbers meant we'd have needed to hire two buses, and the 'free time in the afternoon' most people not coming to the WB are having a picnic or enjoying the New Forest so we don't feel the need to lay on 'entertainment' in a bus trip for them.

Having said that, with the cost of the fruit punch thing we're paying for as a drink straight after the ceremony, we could have hired the second bus, driven down the road a mile and dished out something fizzy in plastic cups for the same price!

As nice as a bus trip round the New Forest would have been, particularly to do the speeches on (notwithstanding the difficulty of amplification and a radio link through to the second bus), in the end we just didn't really have the time to do it justice and get our money's worth out of it.

• MrandMrsFord
    Beginner November 2011
    MrandMrsFord ·
    • Hide content

Wow! That is ridiculous!! Cancel and go with another firm, that is way over priced for one car!!

We have an old met police car for us, but that is a different story, and the bridesmaids and my mum are having an Austin Princess and it's hired from 11 until 4pm and we are paying £385.

Sorry but how do they expect you to pay that knowing what other people charge?

That is criminal!

• LeeLee :)
    Beginner
    LeeLee :) ·
    • Hide content

Jeez that is very high ?

We are paying £350 for one car to pick up OH and BM take to the church, return and pick up my Mum and MOH and bridesmaid and take them to the church then finally pick up my Dad and me and take us to the church and then take me and H2B to the reception venue (about 15-20 mins away in the car).

We are having a 1928 RR Open Top and he said he'll take us a longer way to the venue to relish the beauty of the car.

I would look a bit more - that's ridiculous.

Good luck.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

No, it is ridiculous. At the moment, my plan is to go to the venue (which is reception venue as well) in my Dad's white BMW. Just cannot justify the cost of hiring a car for what is a very short journey. May reconsider if I can get a really good late deal, but unlikely to happen on a Saturday in July!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Yikes, that's a lot. I was quoted £750 for a brand new Rolls Royce phantom for four hours, unlimited trips within the five mile radius of my hotel/venue (their opening line for the quote: "Please remember that this is a third of a million pounds worth of car"). While that was still more that I wanted to pay for a car that essentially, nobody would would me in, I think your quote is looking very overpriced for the service you've asked for. I am in Manc-land.

I ended up hiring an executive taxi service: silver E-class Merc, driver in a suit, ribbons, unlimited mileage/trips over two hours, £100.

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

WOW, this is too much! Where do you live, there must be other options. When I looked at prices for where I am getting married they were £300-£400.

If I were you I would look at other options. Many taxi companies do hire out luxury cars for weddings and they are around £100-£200.

This may not appeal, but if I didn't have a friend who will be driving us in his vintage Morris Minor, we would hire a Black Cab... they look classy and fit in with our theme...

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your replies everyone, it's made me feel like I'm not being totally unreasonable. My approach to booking most things for the wedding hasn't been so much about the cost, but about value for money and the car quotes I'm seeing are just not value!!

God if they'd emailled that to me I'd have been even more cross - I appreciate the car is expensive but if they are charging almost a grand a go, they'll have that back and more within the year!!

It is unbelievable what some people try to get away with. I'm glad you guys have helped me see there are lower quotes to be had. I'm going to keep searching!

PS - Ililacit - how long has your name been changed? Ive only just noticed!! *bad date-twinny hangs head*

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

After I posted the above, I noticed that you are in London... I did a google search and found this company based in Maidstone but serve London- the prices are on their website, but they will be more if you are getting married on season... the reason I am showing it is that they have a range of cars at different prices perhaps there is something there that you like the look of?

I have never used this company though, so can't vouch for their reliability:

https://www.cars4weddings.co.uk/wedding-cars/carfleet.htm

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is helpful - although we're getting married in Derbyshire, it would be nice nod to the fact we live in London Smiley smile I'll have a look about and see if it's a possibility 'ooop north' !

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

ah, then ignore my other post ?

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

no, no! it's all very helpful - honestly, at this rate it's looking like it would work out cheaper to get a london company to drive up and do it for us!!

• H
    Beginner October 2011
    helencia ·
    • Hide content

My brother got married last weekend in Ilam, Derbyshire; once back off honeymoon I could check who they used if you're marrying near that area? We're getting married in Liverpool in October on a Saturday and only require 1 car as I just have 1 bridesmaid so she can travel in the same vehicle as me and my dad. The distance of home to the venue is ~16miles and we have been able to book a Beauford for 1 hour for £190 so on that basis I'd say your quote seems expensive. What annoyed me when getting quotes was the number of companies who couldnt provide a quote for our specific requirements so a lot of quotes were £300+ becuase they were quoting for services we didnt require.

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

I am getting married in Staffs and the prices there didn't seem bad- are you near the border?

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

Have found this, they serve Cheshire, Staffs and Derbs... prices seem good, may be worth calling them?

https://www.weddingcarscheshire.com/page_2173183.html

• kenzie3
    Dedicated August 2023
    kenzie3 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, i dont normally come on here, but felt the need to answer. im getting 2 RR, 1 A 7 seatter for 31/2 hrs for £700.

HTH.

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content

Ooooh looking good! They even have the Daimler which was the one we'd first looked at but the company with it was already booked for our date. I'll call them! *fingers crossed*

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

We wont be paying for cars unless we come into a bit of spare cash along the way.

We know enough people who we can borrow a wide range of cool/funky cars from, or even use our own!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics