Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

LeeLee :)
Beginner

Wedding DJ (how much do you expect to pay?)

LeeLee :), 7 May, 2011 at 11:55 Posted on Planning 0 2

Heya,

I have a friend who is a DJ and been doing this now for over 10 years he is now focusing more on doing weddings and used to work through an agent but he's doing this on his own now and has asked me what I would expect to pay for a DJ.

Could I please ask, on behalf of him, what you would be willing to pay for a DJ to start from 7.30pm to midnight or 1am for example. His set up includes;

1. Laser lights

2. A star cloth that lights up

3. Light rigging

4. Confetti canon

5. Dry ice

Thanks in advance ?

2 replies

Latest activity by LeeLee :), 7 May, 2011 at 16:23
  • 1Lucie
    Beginner May 2011
    1Lucie ·
    • Hide content

Im paying £280 plus 17.50 per confetti cannon, im in east anglia

• Jason Clark DJ
    Jason Clark DJ ·
    • Hide content

Hi LeeLee,

This varies so much, with so many factors;

• Experience
    • Quality of service provided
    • Marketing
    • Overheads

As there is not real qualification for DJ's, anyone can get some budget equipment, use illegal downloads and call themselves a DJ. So with any business, there are the cowboys.

Full time DJ's need to earn enough from Friday/Saturday to run their business and have a suitable income, with the added risk of cancellations.

So, you'll find the prices vary wildly.

I know many DJ's, and are active in the DJ discussion forums, price is a very sensitive subject.

Some guys will command £700, and some struggle to get £150. Most are good DJ's, but they don't understand the business side of the job.

The better DJ's soon realise that they are able to charge more than the guys who don't have the experience or client focus. They get repeat bookings from guests who like what they do.

In the LeeLee's friends case, the actual equipment is not that relevant. "Club Style" Lasers are not that popular at weddings (but top-end lasers as an extra service can be very nice, but do cost a fortune)

All DJ's have lights of some kind, knowing which lights to use is important, the quality of lights also varies wildly.

If the question is to help the DJ, then networking with other DJ's, seeing what they do will really help.

One of the bests ways to do this is to join one of a busy DJ discussion forums.

If he is based in Cambs, then there is a DJ Association called SEDA that has bi-monthly physical meet-ups.

Lastly, I'm happy for him to contact me for a chat ?

So, I'm sorry I can't give a fixed price - in reality, this is very similar to all service providers (TOGs, Bands, Caterers)

From my business, I'm confident I can provide a quality service, with experience. The equipment is professional and tidy. I don't make any assumptions on client requirements. I also don't work for venues (although I am the sole recommended DJ at one Venue), so are totally independent.

Probably not the short answer you're looking for, but hopefully an insight into why we all charge differently.

Jason

• LeeLee :)
    Beginner
    LeeLee :) ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Lucie, I'm also in East Anglia and so is my DJ mate, so its good to hear what you are paying, thanks for that Smiley smile

Wow Jason thats some report and very helpful. He has very good equipment as he has done parties for my family/friends and friends of friends etc. He gets recommended a lot so his style/sound system etc is very good.

I'll definately mention to him what you've said then its up to him if he wishes to contact the DJ Assocation.

Thanks again ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics