Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner

Wedding dress alterations...

claiireee, 5 August, 2012 at 17:21 Posted on Planning 0 17

Hi everyone,

After lots and lots of searching and worrying that I'd never find my dress, I've found it!! Whoopdie woo!

At the minute in fashion shops I'm a 14/16, however, the ladies measured me and my widest part is my hips (damnit!), which means they advised ordering a size 18. Now, like most brides to be I'd like to be a smidge smaller. I'm not in proportion, so an 18 is going to be too big on top. The shop said they have a seamstress and it wouldn't be a problem to take it in.

I just wondered if any brides or brides to be have any experience of having a dress altered?

I just think if they'd ordered the 16, I would have been putting a lot of pressure on to lose weight, especially if when it arrived in March it was too tight!

Hmm. Can anyone put my mind at rest?

x

17 replies

Latest activity by littlecathy, 7 November, 2012 at 16:53
  • Sparkles82
    Beginner April 2013
    Sparkles82 ·
    • Hide content

What kind of back does it have? If it is a corset. I would say you will be safe with a 16 as it will have some give in it. If it is a zip however. I would worry that a 16 would be too tight.

• C
    Beginner
    claiireee ·
    • Hide content

It's a lace up back. It was more over the hips that made me take their advice and order the 18.

• K
    Beginner August 2012
    K8_2408 ·
    • Hide content

Because I didn't have time to order a dress in my size, I got a size 12 & it's been altered to fit my size 8 body. The seamstress has done a wonderful job & you would never guess it started off the wrong size. Go for the 18 because if you do lose weight, you can't guarantee where it will come off. It'll be better to start off too big then having to squeezed in.

Everyone has intentions of loosing weight but with some much other stuff going on, it can be hard to stick to a diet.

• V
    Beginner April 2013
    Vintage84 ·
    • Hide content

The only thing is, you might just have wide hips, which means that even if you lost a stone you might still need the 18 to be comfortable. They can do amazing things with alterations but don't forget it's always easier to make a dress smaller, they can't make them much larger though.

I think you've done the right thing xxx

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I really wouldn't think about wedding dresses in terms of 'high street' sizes.

Personally I'd go with the size the dress shop have measured you for. They will be able to take it in everywhere else and you won't have the stress of not fitting around the hips.

• C
    Beginner
    claiireee ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for you replies ladies, I think I made the right decision Smiley smile Like you say, weight might come off elsewhere, hadn't thought about that really! Soo excited about the dress, it really was a trauma!

• K
    Beginner December 2012
    kingfisher1923 ·
    • Hide content

It's pretty standard to have a wedding dress altered to fit you more exactly - so that it's just right for you, and really flattering. However have the shop advised you as to whether you will have to pay, and how much it will be? It can be rather expensive as it's quite a labour-intensive process.

• ESW
    Beginner September 2012
    ESW ·
    • Hide content

I bought a size 16 as I am a 14-16 on the highstreet but I didn't buy from a shop and didn't realise the size difference. I have had the back changed to a corset which helped with my rib cage problem but I had to have the hips let out as well. You can just see the marks from the original stiches, well I can as I know where it was altered. If you are buying new take there advice it is so much easier to take it in!

• R
    Beginner July 2013
    Rachel88 ·
    • Hide content

I got my dress ordered a size bigger than I normally would be. The lady in the bridal shop said that her seamstress would rather have too much material than be looking for material. Its amazing the changes that a good seamstress can make.

• O
    Beginner September 2013
    oggers86 ·
    • Hide content

I have to do the same thing for my wedding dress and also when I was a bridesmaid. My hips are bigger than my top half so I needed to get the bigger size to fit them and then get the top taken in.

• C
    Beginner
    claiireee ·
    • Hide content

Thanks again, your replies have really put my mind at ease. I think it's just I've never had to do such a thing so it seems quite alien, even more so ordering it when you haven't tried it on in the right size. I'm used to taking a 12, 14 and 16 into changing room hehe. Thanks! x

• H
    Beginner May 2013
    HEmmaH ·
    • Hide content

I'm a size 14 in the high street but the shop ordered me a size 16 in my dress, saying that it would still probably need to be let out a bit around my hips!! (Apparently Charlotte Balbier leave 2 inches so that a dress can be let out). I tried it on last week and if I manage to stop eating sausage rolls and crisps for a while i reckon I'll get into it without the bottom being altered. The top is far too big and will be taken in. I wouldn't panic, a good seamstress will sort it for you!! x

• C
    Beginner May 2013
    CarMungeam ·
    • Hide content

I was told that Wedding dress sizes where much smaller than high street dresses so a size up is fine. remember the a dress can by taken in at least 2 sizes, which is what I am doing with the waist of mine as had to go bigger dress size for up top.

• S
    Beginner August 2012
    Sash2610 ·
    • Hide content

I bought a dress last minute of the peg as i had a disaster (dont ask lol!!) and it was a size 12 and they have taken it in to my size which is a 6/8 so you will be fine. they are very good at taking them in, you cannot even tell it has been altered! x ?

• debacker
    Beginner April 2013
    debacker ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, I don't have.

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi, From what i gather almost all brides need their dresses altered so it will be fine. Most also lose weight nearer the time, naturally too. You will look lovely, and I am sure they will do a very good job. Try not to stress

Lynne

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

I'm sure I read in another post that a wedding dress can easily be taken down 2-3 sizes without it being an issue, but can only be let out by about an inch if it needs to be made bigger.

Therefore, I'm sure you'll be fine with the 18! And a lace back means they will take it in a bit and the lace does the rest for you! The lace back will make the dress sit perfectly on you anyway, whereas button backs have to be the exact right fit all-over.

I wouldn't worry, it'll be fine and I'm sure the end result will look beautiful and be the perfect fit! x

• littlecathy
    Beginner August 2013
    littlecathy ·
    • Hide content

I'm a size 10-12 high street but my dress is a 12 because of my boobs... The seamstress can take it in for my non-existent hips but I need the space for the girls! Always go bigger, they can take in but you don't want to have to squeeze into something too tight...

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics