Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Beginner January 2015

Wedding dress dilema.

tracy P, 6 of October of 2012 at 23:15 Posted on Planning 0 22

To let you understand, this is my second wedding and I had planed to wear an evening dress. However, my mum was over (lives abroad) and wanted to do the whole wedding dress shopping experience, ( didn't do it the first time) so we went to a bridal shop and have a lovely time trying on dresses, it was all a bit of a laugh until I put on tea lenght satin dress - we both went quiet and my mum started to cry. The dress is beautiful and way way over my budget. But now when ever I look at any dress nothing compares. This is just a moan really as I don't think there is anything to be done.

22 replies

Latest activity by ladygrey, 12 of October of 2012 at 22:23
  • xx Mrs Amor to be xx
    Beginner September 2012
    xx Mrs Amor to be xx ·
    • Hide content

How long do you have till your wedding? Some bridal shops have seasonal sample sales so if you have time it may be worth seeing if they will have a sale soon. You may not want to do it but some girls on here have ordered from China, although slightly risky, you may find some threads on here to research this route a little more.

There is a dress lady near me in Birmingham where I got my BM dresses at a great price and they were lovely, she does a wide range of wedding dresses also and her prices are really reasonable. Her shop is called R & Z Dress shop and I think you can just order from her as well. X

• L
    Beginner January 2011
    lynd ·
    • Hide content

Like you I'm getting married for the 2nd time... and I have bought a tea-length dress (my daughter cried)... I think they are perfect for 2nd marriages - they're a wedding dress but not at the same time if you see what I mean..

I'm sure you look wonderful Smiley smile

• J
    Beginner August 2013
    Jessie_bride ·
    • Hide content

I'd see if you can get something on eBay/ Preloved, you never know!

• J
    Beginner August 2013
    Jessie_bride ·
    • Hide content

I'd see if you can get something on eBay/ Preloved, you never know!

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

Do lots and lots of Internet searches on eBay, preloved and all the wedding forums for their 'for sale' bits. I fell in love with my dress, but my mum was buying it and at over £1,200, it was way more than I felt happy with her spending. I think it was about 2/3 months later, after searching every single day!, I found an ex-display one, never even tried on by anyone else for £499 on eBay from a bridal shop in Spain. It was well worth the effet to save over £700.

• Luna_12
    Beginner October 2012
    Luna_12 ·
    • Hide content

Like others have said I would head to ebay and see if you can find anything Smiley smile good luck x

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

You could also see if you could find a similar dress by a less expensive designer? If you flash the dress, you could have other hitched brides on the case, I know I love looking through wedding dresses!

• T
    Beginner January 2015
    tracy P ·
    • Hide content

Hi and thanks to everyone, I thought about a sample dress, but the lady in the shop said they are all 10/12 and I need 14/16 to be comfortable (big busted). I have tried to up load a picture of the dress but I am hopeless at this tech stuff and the kids are in their beds. It is on the shop website, maybe one of you is cleverer than me and could put it up. I saw it in Ivory Whites of Perth and the dress is called Beautiful.

Ebay is a very good idea so I will start looking tonight. I have 14 months to the wedding but I feel I need to get the dress sorted before I can plan the rest of the wedding, I think the tone of the service and reception has to refect the dress, ie fun and light or more serious. Does anyone else think this or is it just me?

• LeedsBride
    Beginner September 2012
    LeedsBride ·
    • Hide content

Is this the one?

• T
    Beginner January 2015
    tracy P ·
    • Hide content

Wow, yes that is it. I love the way the box pleats from the drop waist is sooooo slimming. Thanks for posting it.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Gorgeous dress.

Have you tried to find something similar from Honeypie Boutique etc? http://www.honeypieboutique.co.uk/ourshop/cat_230553-50s-Wedding-Dresses.html

• L
    ladygrey ·
    • Hide content

You beat me to it , Leeds bride!

I only joined this forum to offer some words of advice- I got married 14 years ago, and was just inanely surfing the net tonight as I was looking for some cake designs for my husbands birthday (ok, so I got sidetracked by wedding cakes!! much easier on the eye than a blokes cake!!) and clicked on the 'wedding dress dilemma' thread.

Tracey P, this dress is an absolute dream, and take it from someone who made her own wedding dress, any reputable seamstress will be able to make this for you at a much reduced cost. I hope you are able to get it as the shape will be perfect for you. The full skirt and bateau neckline will enhance your hourglass figure and balance the fact that you said you said you had generous bust. I hope all goes well for you.

Best wishes

Alison

• T
    Beginner January 2015
    tracy P ·
    • Hide content

Dear ladygrey,

Thanks so much for your commets, I will look for a seamstress in my area (are you in fife per chance lol).

I hope you stay on the forum words of wisdom are always welcome here.

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
  • L
    ladygrey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sadly no! South Wales is my stomping ground!

I do love a good wedding and get the brain ticking for ideas if anyone i know is getting married.

• L
    ladygrey ·
    • Hide content

Http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v8020-products-6651.php?page_id=857

Tracey, check out this pattern It's a Vogue pattern number 8020. It is a very similar style to your ideal dress. A good seamstress would be able to adjust the pattern so you have less box pleats and more of a flare to the skirt. Length is easy to adjust.

• L
    ladygrey ·
    • Hide content

Http://butterick.mccall.com/b5603-products-13745.php?page_id=152

Here's another one that's very similar. It's a Retro Butterick pattern, number B5603

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content

Also found this on my travels: http://www.yourbridalwear.co.uk/special-order-for-sara.html

• RichesToBe
    Beginner June 2013
    RichesToBe ·
    • Hide content

Definately put a 'wanted' request on pre-loved, I did this and had varius people contact me about the dress then 3 months after the add had been up, I got really lucky and a lady from a bridal shop emailed to say she would sell me the dress for £600 as a sample gown, It originally cost £1,300.

It was an hours drive away but worth it as it was right size, colour and price!! ?

Good luck x

• RichesToBe
    Beginner June 2013
    RichesToBe ·
    • Hide content

Definately put a 'wanted' request on pre-loved, I did this and had varius people contact me about the dress then 3 months after the add had been up, I got really lucky and a lady from a bridal shop emailed to say she would sell me the dress for £600 as a sample gown, It originally cost £1,300.

It was an hours drive away but worth it as it was right size, colour and price!! ?

Good luck x

• MillieM00
    Beginner March 2014
    MillieM00 ·
    • Hide content

Have you looked at InspirationBridal? I'm considering them for my dress as I just don't want to spend loads on a dress that I will wear once and there are a few pictures in the testimonials of women wearing a dress like this.

• T
    Beginner January 2015
    tracy P ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for all your advice, after talking to my friend we have decided to have a go at making my dress ourselves. Using a combination of the patterns suggested by ladygrey. Wish us luck.

• L
    ladygrey ·
    • Hide content

I did dress and design to A level standard, and don't do much sewing these days, but if I can help in any way then just holler!

1. The first thing I did was to go out and try dresses on in bridal shops to check style and fabric selection, because styles I'd fancied in mags and elements of them that I'd wanted to use, when it came to trying them on, some of them just looked stupid on me. You've already found the style and fabric that suits you.

2. Whenever you come to cutting the material, always cut generously. It is easier to take in than to try and squeeze into something that is too small.

3. Buy good quality thread. I have always found Guterman thread to be the best. You pay a bit more for it, but I think the results are worth it.

4. Pin and tack EVERYTHING. If you are using satin, then you want to make sure that the fit is right before you go and sew. if you have to unpick you risk marking the fabric.

5. Iron at every stage. It really does help towards the end result. Keep a scrap piece of the fabric to use as your iron heat test cloth. ALWAYS use it before ironing anything when you return to the ironing board, because you never know!! The only way to get a scorch mark out of a garment under construction is to cut a new pattern piece! Hence why it is always a good idea to buy a few extra meters more than you need. It can always be utilised as ring cushions or bridal bags etc!

PM me if you want my e-mail address/ phone number

Good luck!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics