Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Savvy November 2021 Lancashire

Wedding dress help!

Jess, 10 of December of 2020 at 12:16 Posted on Planning 1 22
Hello! I’m having a nightmare wedding dress shopping , I can’t find anything I like and if I do i just can’t justify the cost! I want to ideally spend £1000 or less , I’ve thought about second hand but I have no idea where look.

22 replies

Latest activity by Ruth, 13 of January of 2021 at 20:19
  • April21Bride
    Rockstar July 2021 West London
    April21Bride ·
    • Hide content
    It will depend on what sort of dress you want. My dress is new and <£1000 incl alterations - you should have a lot of choice unless you want lots of design and sparkle .

Good luck with your search
  • J
    Jess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I just want a nice A line with a little sparkle but nothing too fancy! I might need to shop further a field as the starting price around my area is £1500 ?
  • April21Bride
    Rockstar July 2021 West London
    April21Bride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh wow. I’m based in London and am wearing a Justin Alexander a-line. No sparkle but have added some lace.

Maybe call ahead to bridal stores in your nearest city to ask. When I was looking I never had a price point but all of the dresses I picked were <£1300. I remember being surprised as lots of comments on hitch spoke of +£1.5k dresses at a min so I thought I’d end up spending c.£2k. Guess staying away from sparkle is why but that’s just me.
    Fingers crossed with your search!
  • ExpensivePinkFlowers63608
    Savvy April 2021 Somerset
    ExpensivePinkFlowers63608 ·
    • Hide content

My dress is an ex catwalk one and was £600. I only live in a little town though, not a big city, so none of the dresses were megabucks and they did preloved dresses as well as ex catwalk and new.

• R
    Dedicated September 2021 Essex
    Ruth ·
    • Hide content
    Depends where you live... I bought mine from a 'warehouse'. Sounds dodgy but the owner makes them all himself and he is TALENTED! He has hundreds of dresses in stock, all high qualified materials and they're sold for much less than boutique prices as he's during out the middle man.
    (Obviously this didn't stop me from buying the most expensive one in his store *sigh*)

If you're around Cambridge way, I can point you in the direction of him?
  • R
    Ruth ·
    • Hide content
    *cutting out the middle man
  • Mrsa2021
    Dedicated June 2021 Cornwall
    Mrsa2021 ·
    • Hide content
    Mine was a sample sale dress for £900, definitely worth looking around and seeing if any dress shops by you do sample sales.
  • T
    Curious April 2022 Cumbria
    TigerLily8 ·
    • Hide content
    Have you tried the website StillWhite? It’s a website for selling second-hand wedding dresses. Some boutiques even sell sample dresses on there too, so they’ve never been worn. I would start by having a look at some designers you like then search for them on StillWhite. There’s hundreds, if not thousands. You will probably find some of the more expensive designers are close to your budget on there. Good luck!
  • Ashton
    Beginner June 2022 Alpes-Maritimes
    Ashton ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I was the same and couldn't justify spending too much as my fiance has been made redundant but I got two dream dresses both for £500 each - my day dress was sample sale (Wendy Makin) from The Aisle in Ilkley, Yorkshire (you can buy online if you can't visit!) and the other was a designer steal (Giambatista Vali) from Net-a-Porter (sales still on!) The Outnet also tends to have a nice selection of Catherine Deane dresses which are on sale and quite classic. Hope that helps. It can be daunting but you will get there. Stay positive Smiley smile Ashton x

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Try hunting round online - I found mine by mail order. Also, it would be worth looking at second hand options. Or contact a local seamstress to see if you can get one made for you.

It would also be worth looking at bridal boutiques in less affluent areas, even if it means travelling a distance. I'm in South Wales, and we're a lot cheaper here than many other parts of the UK!

• Romanticpurplediamonds32382
    Dedicated April 2022 East Riding of Yorkshire
    Romanticpurplediamonds32382 ·
    • Hide content
    My budget is 700 for dress do u have an wed2be in your area they r reasonably priced
  • J
    Jess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’ve looked at their website and thought that but sadly their isn’t one close ! I’ve found a boutique that has a outlet sale so fingers crossed I find the one!
  • J
    Jess ·
    • Hide content
    Hi everyone! I’ve found a boutique that isn’t too far away that had 100+ sample sale dress starting at £200 so I’ve got an appointment booked for January, fingers crossed I find the one! Feel slightly nervous as I’m not a ‘dress person ‘ I don’t think I have worn one since I was at primary school ! So I don’t know how to feel about trying then on Infront of strangers with my extra lockdown weight ?
  • R
    Ruth ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That sounds promising! It does feel strange at first to be semi naked in front of a stranger, but I guarantee that you'll soon forget about it. Plus just remember that theyve seen everything before...this is their job. They are not judging your body, they're simply looking at finding the right dress for you.

Try to enjoy it, it's so much fun! Let us know how you get on ☺️
  • J
    Jess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much, I will do !?
  • J
    Jess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I have a dress! My appointment was obviously cancelled due to lockdown so I’ve gambled and bought one I couldn’t stop looking at on their website so fingers crossed it’s just as perfect when it arrives!
  • R
    Ruth ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh my goodness, how exciting! I can't wait to try mine back on, will be 8 months between buying and seeing it again.

Very excited for you ☺️
  • J
    Jess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ohh I bet you can’t wait ! Something to make these weird times more exciting ! ?
  • Lucy
    Curious April 2022 East Sussex
    Lucy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Could you let me know how to find this store please?
  • R
    Ruth ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi yes absolutely! The owner is honestly so brilliant, I've actually changed my mind on the dress TWICE and he's allowing me to swap my payment to a new dress again.
    You could find Peter's Bridal Warehouse on Facebook or he has a website too (based near Soham).

Admins, hope this is allowed?
  • Lucy
    Curious April 2022 East Sussex
    Lucy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Fab thank you! We are moving up to Cambridge area at the end of the month so that’s really helpful!
  • R
    Ruth ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ha brilliant. Can't recommend them more, have fun!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics