Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner October 2023 West Midlands

Wedding Dress help, please

Shalisha, 14 of March of 2023 at 18:54 Posted on Wedding Attire 0 27
Hey everyone,

I really need some wedding dress help please. I haven't actually looked at any stores in person yet. I'm finding it overwhelming because there are so many stores, so I don't know which to choose fromand visit. I have a strict budget of 1.5K or less. Plus I've been looking at loads of dresses online and I don't see any that I love - so I really don't know my style!
How did everyone else go about finding your dream dress? And does anyone have any recommendations in and just outside of London.
Any help is much appreciated 😊

27 replies

Latest activity by Sarah, 25 of March of 2023 at 09:34
  • S
    Rockstar April 2023 West London
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content

Try David’s Bridal. I went to the store in London Stratford but there’s also one in Watford and one in Birmingham. There’s lots of choice, the appointments are free and the prices are decent (but they do charge a lot for alterations so just be wary of that). It could be a great starting point to help to narrow down a style even if you don’t buy.

• S
    Shalisha ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much Sarah, that's really helpful. Much appreciated 😊
  • M
    Beginner August 2023 Cheshire
    Miss ·
    • Hide content
    No advice for shops themselves but as for style - go open minded! So many brides go in asking for a certain style and end up with one completely different. The staff will know what to try you with and you’ll know it when you try it on!
  • Lea
    Rockstar July 2023 Kent
    Lea ·
    • Hide content

Try Wed2B on Baker Street. Even if you don't buy there you can try on different styles to see what suits you. It's difficult to know what will suit you until you try on some dresses.

• Bale
    Beginner April 2024 Hampshire
    Bale ·
    • Hide content
    Have you had a look at wed2be? They have some beautiful dresses online and they have stores too
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I would make an appointment with a supplier in your area, give them your budget and tell them you have no idea what you want. You might find that trying on a few different styles will help narrow down silhouettes, styles and fabrics.

Also, think about what you normally wear if you are 'dressing up'. If you tend to be fairly casual normally then you might not feel comfortable in a very elaborate gown. A simple A-line might suit you better. Do you feel comfortable in very fitted clothes (think mermaid, corset-back dresses, strapless) or do you like loose and flowy garments (floaty, unstructured wedding dresses might be more your style).

And don't forget that you don't HAVE to get married in a traditional 'wedding dress' - if you hate white, get married in colour. If you never wear dresses, maybe think about a trouser suit. Your wedding dress is whatever you wear to get married, so if long and white isn't your thing, look at alternatives.

• S
    Shalisha ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Great Advice, I'll certainly go in with an open mind. Thank you
  • S
    Shalisha ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks very much I'll visit there 😊
  • S
    Shalisha ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much this great advice. I don't normally wear ball gown type dresses, so you are right I probably won't feel comfortable 😊
  • C
    Curious November 2023 Derbyshire
    Cr ·
    • Hide content
    It's already been suggested, but I would go to WED2B. I used to work at the one in Bristol and, as long as it hasn't changed much in the past 4/5 years, the dresses are well taken care of and it's off the rack (much more common in wedding dress buying than you might think). The dresses are made from the same material as the ones in boutiques and sold at a much more affordable cost. I'd suggest going during a weekday as weekends are VERY busy and you might need to wait. No appointments needed though (unless that's changed since pre-COVID).

There's different designers/designs which tend to vary a lot in terms of what "type" of bride you are e.g Signature used to be a bit more daring, whilst Anna Sorano was more classic bridal.
    Similarly to most anecdotes from brides, the dress you choose tends to be either right on point with what you thought or the EXACT opposite.
    Good luck! ☺️
  • S
    Shalisha ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks very much Claudia, I will definitely visit wed2b
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I think it might also help if you look on your first visit as a way to 'narrow down' your options instead of putting pressure on yourself to find the right dress. Remember, you don't need to make a decision at your first appointment! So look on it as a way of ruling out what you definitely don't like and - hopefully - finding some things that you do like. Then you can book another appointment (either at the same store, if you find enough dresses you like or at a different one) shortly after, with a clearer idea of what you do and don't like.

If you're normally quite casually dressed but want to wear a dress, I'd start off looking at A-line. I'm always in jeans and t-shirt, but I loved my wedding dress, which was a-line and quite loose-fitting. It felt really comfortable.

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    My dress was meant to be a fitted one from Maggie sottero but now I have a floaty one complete opposite plus only under £80 best thing to do is try different styles on in the bridal shops see what you feel comfortable in and what makes you happy x ♥️
  • S
    Shalisha ·
    • Hide content
    Great, thank you 😊
  • S
    Shalisha ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks so much, this is great advice 😀
  • S
    Shalisha ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Under £80 that's amazing, thank you for sharing your insights
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Anytime it's your decision you could spend £1000s or £100 the most important thing is that you feel amazing in what ever dress you pick x♥️ mine was from Amazon from the every pretty line just remember it's your dress so it's all about you nobody else ♥️
  • H
    Beginner July 2023 Hampshire
    HYEAW ·
    • Hide content
    Try looking at prom dresses too . You might find something special and different. Good luck
  • Katie
    Savvy September 2024 Middlesex
    Katie ·
    • Hide content

Appreciating everybody's advice here. I haven't started dress shopping yet!

• Emily
    Dedicated February 2023 Hertfordshire
    Emily ·
    • Hide content
    You've said what you're budget is, does that include alterations? If you need lots of alterations that could be quite a few £100s. For example my sister needed her dress shortened and as there were so many layers it cost more than if it was a sheath dress. Also try and find a dress with everything you want, eg adding sleeves or any extra bits all adds to the alterations costs. When you do decide on a dress, order it in your size, your dress should fit you, not you having to fit the dress.
    Above all, enjoy the dress trying on experience.
  • S
    Beginner April 2024 East Riding of Yorkshire
    Savina ·
    • Hide content
    I'd go in stores and try on things. They are there to help you and choose based on your silhoette.
  • S
    Shalisha ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much ❤️ ❤️ ❤️
  • S
    Shalisha ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you 😊
  • S
    Shalisha ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you Emily, I will bear in mind the costs of alterations and additions 😊
  • S
    Shalisha ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you 😊
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hope your search goes well let us know how it goes x ♥️
  • S
    Beginner August 2023 Surrey
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    I would recommend the wedding wardrobe (near waterloo). They have a wide price range & they were really helpful in getting me to think about the styles I preferred. I found a lovely dress there & didn't have to go anywhere else! Have been to a few wedding dress shops before for friends and this place was super relaxed

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics