Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Dedicated October 2022 Surrey

Wedding dress worries

Lisa, 3 of January of 2022 at 00:29 Posted on Wedding Attire 0 18
I'm very much looking forward to marrying my FH but having one mental sticking point about the day.

Everyone expects a 'proper' wedding but I was thinking register office then a meal with just our closest few for one simple reason..... I really don't want to wear a wedding dress! I'm not comfortable in dtesses/skirts, I'm very short & chunky so not the best shape for these things & I dont like to wear light colours.
I feel like people would think it was odd to have a full on wedding & reception if the bride turns up in something like a darker jumpsuit. I would also be concerned about being the worst dressed at my own wedding.
Am I being silly?

18 replies

Latest activity by HappyGoldBridesmaid18836, 5 of January of 2022 at 09:53
  • Louise
    Rockstar March 2022 Devon
    Louise ·
    • Hide content
    I too am not the most girly (I didn't think so at least until I got proposed to!) And I don't do dresses or light colours especially white, I am soooo white I look ill and I have no chest and don't ever feel particularly feminine, and all my bridesmaids r stunning examples of feminine beauty. However, I was dreading dress shopping but they r fantastic places bridal shops, I went purely to find the style that suited me and ended up with a dress 🙈 I would say even if u go alone, its worth a visit to get some advice on what u look best in as so many people get it so wrong with what they think their style is. Also on the complete flip side, don't feel pressured to wear what others want u to, if ur really not comfortable there r plenty of outfits out there for everyone if you like jumpsuits perhaps u could find one a couple of steps up from high street. Could u maybe do registry, a meal and a party with a band or dj? I hope u find ur confidence, ur engaged because someone thinks the world of u and u should feel as beautiful as they know u r.
  • L
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you Louise 😊
    I've been reflecting & I think a big part of my rebellion against a dress is the experience I have had with dress shopping. This is my 2nd marriage, first time around I was 19 with a tiny budget & everyone was against it (hindsight - they were right 😂). I had no transport & no supportive women to guide me in those pre-internet days so I went to the only shop I could get myself to. They were so dismissive of me & it was a horrible experience. I ended up with the only dress in the shop that sort-of fit, a £75 ex-rental that I hated. I felt hideous on my wedding day.
    I think that the thought of dress shopping has brought back the trauma of that experience so I've given myself all these other reasons why I don't want it.
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    Not silly at all. It is your day so do what you feel comfortable with, you don't have to justify it explain your choice to anyone. Maybe have a look at bridal jumpsuits as there are lots more available nowadays. I would suggest though that you do go and try some dresses as you never know, I found one that is super slimming and really fits perfectly so you may find something you like and surprise yourself. Look at shorter tea length dresses as these will be more flattering on you for your height than a full on bridal dress, if not then as long as you find something that you like that is all that matters . Please make sure you do what you want to do for you and not others and I am sure you wil have your perfect day x
  • L
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Charlotte 😊
  • Emma
    Curious August 2023 East Sussex
    Emma ·
    • Hide content

The best thing about your wedding is that it is your day! You and your partner can make it exactly how you want and you don't have to include anything you don't want to. A wedding is a beautiful celebration of the two of you and as such it should reflect your style and your tastes, as well as making sure you are comfortable and feel beautiful whatever you wear.

Hoping your big day is everything that you want it to be and more!Smiley ring

• L
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Emma 😊
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    I think its what you want and no your not being silly not every female is really girly. I told my patrner i would marry him in my jeans its what i feel comfortable in but he wants the dress go with your decisions dont think about what others think x💗
  • L
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'd love a jeans & hoodie wedding! Actually what I'd really love is a Vegas cheesy Elvis Chapel but that won't fly 😂
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Its more about what you feel comfy doing and elvis chapel same here x💗
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What a horrible experience for you with your first wedding - I'm so sorry!

It's your wedding, so you can wear whatever you want. If it were just a case of not liking dresses, then I'd say go for a jumpsuit/trouser suit. But it just doesn't seem right to be put off a wedding dress because you've had a horrible experience in the past.

I'd have a look around for shops that you think will be more sympathetic. Maybe ring a couple and explain what you are looking for. A lot of bridal shops have dresses in other colours (and trousers too - jumpsuits & trouser suits are becoming very popular bridal choices) so it would give you the chance to try on different styles and work out what suits you. You may end up surprising yourself by liking a dress (I live in jeans, but I wore a simple a-line dress for my wedding and loved it so much I didnt want to take it off!), and at the end of it, if you still decide to go for a jumpsuit, you'll be choosing it because it's what you want, not because you don't feel confident enough to wear a dress.

As for other guests being better dressed than you - you can make it clear on the invite that it's a very informal wedding, but if someone does turn up looking more dressed up than you, it won't matter anyway. These are people who love you (if they're not, why are you inviting them?!) and no one is going to be judging how you look anyway x

• L
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much for your kind words. Maybe I do need to go & try some styles. I know that this time my future step-MIL would be delighted to come along for support, even though she is so lovely she would say everything looks great 😂 and my 2 daughters (18 & 20) would give me the truth 🙊, they're savage!
  • M
    Beginner August 2021 Devon
    Margaret ·
    • Hide content
    Totally understand your feelings. I am only comfortable in trousers. The lady that did the alterations for my wife dress was amazing and we came up with an outfit that suited me. Is there someone who can advise you i.e. a dressmaker?
  • L
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Anything I buy will need serious amounts of alterations, I'm only 4'11'' haha so I know its also a good opportunity to tweek things a bit 😆 probably end up with something that looks nothing like the original purchase.
  • J
    Curious January 2022 Gloucestershire
    Jesshumphriesx ·
    • Hide content
    I’m wearing trainers to my wedding this Saturday! As I can’t stand how uncomfortable heels are! Wear what you feel comfortable in it’s your day!
  • H
    Dedicated May 2022
    HappyGoldBridesmaid18836 ·
    • Hide content
    I would agree to wear what you feel comfortable in. However, it’s a shame your first experience of wedding dress shopping was so horrendous. I think it would be worth going to a couple of shops and seeing what they have to offer, you may be pleasantly surprised! Make sure you take some support with you. X
  • L
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    There are some really pretty trainers about at the moment, I sae some embroiderd with flowers that I was tempted by.
  • L
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You're right, I'd probably regret not having a look, it wouldn't mean I was committed to it 😊
  • H
    Dedicated May 2022
    HappyGoldBridesmaid18836 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Exactly! At least you can rule in out completely with no regrets and it’ll hopefully leave you with a more positive memory of going to a bridal shop. X

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics