Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ajdown
VIP September 2011

Wedding smells for men

ajdown, 22 June, 2011 at 08:39 Posted on Planning 0 32

Any suggestions or recommendations? It seems many of you ladies are splashing out on special fragrances for your big day so I wondered if any of the guys were getting anything special, or just using the nearby can of Old Spice as usual?

I'm not an aftershave person, so I only really have regular deodorants to choose from - and haven't got a clue where to start.

Obviously I don't want to spend stupid money, as there are some really expensive ones out there that smell like Grimsby on a warm day to me, but it'd be interesting to hear your input and see what people are choosing.

Ladies, do you know what your man is wearing on the day?

32 replies

Latest activity by ajdown, 25 June, 2011 at 15:55
  • M
    Beginner January 2001
    maysie ·
    • Hide content

I wanted to buy my htb something but when we went to bicester village we got boggled by all the scents distracted by all the shops and came away with molton brown shower gels for him. They smell fab and i think the ginseng and black pepper one smells divine. He ended up using a small mini aftershave i bought him in a set for christmas that we both really liked.

I think you have to really test aftershaves on yourself and get your oh to smell you. They don't' smell the same on different people after half an hour really. Our big mistake was i loved the smell of theiry mugler coffee for men but on my oh it was so intense a smell it made me feel sick. He didn't like it either but kept putting it on to please me quite funny when we both twigged it was not to our liking. That was a couple of years ago now i then went on to sell it on ebay for more than i paid for it as it was a lmt edition.

• maryg111
    Beginner May 2011
    maryg111 ·
    • Hide content

It depends what you like, but The One by D&G is gorgeous!!!! Or Aqua Marine by Bulgari is lovely too!

But i can honestly say, i have absolutely no idea what my hubby wore on our wedding day - probably whatever was in his cupboard so probably millionaire?!

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to say this AJ - but your best bet is to head down to somewhere like Boots/Debenhams and sniff out what you like/best suits you. My top tip would be to try and find a bigger store where the fragrances are out with test sticks nearby, hence no pushy shop assistants who you have to ask for a tester.

My OH loves the Chanel Homme Sport which, but it's something like £65 a bottle. He also goes mad for the new Ralph Lauren range which he wears for work as it's more affordable and starts at £30 ish and can be on offer at times - Debenhams were doing a free weekend bag with it at the weekend for example.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

At least it seems like the general idea is that I "should" have something instead of using up the last of the can of Brut I got for Christmas.

There's a big department store near where I live that's a quick bus ride so I'm sure they must have a mens smelly stuff counter manned by oompa loompahs that want to squirt you with everything.

Bizarrely my b2b loves the smell of the shaving gel I normally use more than anything else I ever wear but obviously that isn't going to last all day!

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

Like the others have said go to a Mens counter & try a few different fragrances. You can also buy some small tester sizes at places like M&S they do some lovely fragrances.

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content

I love the scent of Issey Miyake when my OH wears that, its a lovely smell Smiley smile

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

any paco rabbane is yummers!

I smelt David Becjhams intimate the other day, lush,. and not uber expensive!! Mr F wears various, but the current one is Lacoste Essential i think!

• S
    Beginner August 2011
    Sara-Jane ·
    • Hide content

My OH has just bought Millions by Paco Rabanne for our wedding day! smells lovely!

• Cheeky_pie
    Beginner August 2011
    Cheeky_pie ·
    • Hide content

My OH wears Black XS which is just yummy!!! He wanted to get a new fragrance for the wedding but i just got him a new bottle of this as i think it would be weird if he smelt differently on our wedding day! But i think u should defo invest in a scent for it that way when u smell it, it will remind you of the day.

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

I like Rive Gauche by Yves Saint Laurent, and I don't think that's too expensive, although I'm not 100% sure how much it costs to be honest!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

My boy wears Boss. It is lush. It is his smell.

AJ, you really need to try stuff on - they all smell different on different people.

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

Defo need to try them on you.

My OH wears Vera Wang, Chanel Egoiste or Marc Jacobs...they all smell AMAZING on him...wouldnt neccessarily smell so good on someone else tho.

Get yourself down debenhams / john lewis etc - tell the people on the floor that you're looking for wedding smells and they should be able to help you out!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mr C has both of these - he also loves Diesel (the blue fist one...) and Versace Blue Jeans...

My fav of his is an old Burberry cheapy one... black check square bottle... mmmm

He has a whole shelf full, Hugo Boss, CK in2U, I can describe the bottles but struggle with the names!!!

• L
    Beginner August 2012
    Lillibet ·
    • Hide content

I love Paco Rabanne fragrances, they all smell lovely (esp Millions and the purple one, is it Ultraviolet or something?)

But my fav one that OH wears is Jean Paul Gaultier Fleur du Male (and Le Male is pretty lovely too, but fleur just tops it). We're giving each other fragrance as wedding presents for the morning. Don't know what I'm going to get him yet, as thought I might get one he hasn't had before .

• KatalinaNastyCough
    Beginner November 2011
    KatalinaNastyCough ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? and whats wrong with Grimsby?? (aside from the fact I escaped first opportunity I got hehe)

Besides there's no such thing as a warm day in Grimsby ?

But back on topic, like all the other ladies have suggested you really need to try them on, and also smell them over a long time period, you may love the top notes of one aftershave but by the time it dries you may hate the middle/base notes!

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Top notes? Middle/base notes? I want to wear it not play it!!!

I'm obviously completely oblivious to all this 'male grooming' stuff - and thankfully so, by the sound of it - and the more I think of it a good squirt of good old Brut is a safe bet!

Splash it all ovah!!!

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

I love One Million by PR. Girls did you know there is a perfume out in it now?

AJ I don't have a clue what my H wore and I didn't buy anything new for the wedding. I wanted to smell like I normally smell and didn't want to be wearing something new that I ended up not liking so I don't think anyone needs to buy new stuff. Having said that I do have about 10 perfumes I go between so it's not like I always use the same one.

Personally I'd go into Debenhams and smell different ones and ask if they have any testers. They always have testers and if you say you aren't sure what to buy and can you have a tester to try before you buy I'm sure they will oblige. Then you don't even need to buy any if you like the freebies.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

I know I don't have to buy an expensive aftershave I may never wear again, but it was just a thought as to whether the general opinion round here was whether it was important or extravagant. Just thought it might be a little 'way to feel special'.

I'm not really into "expensive toiletries", I'd gladly use a bit of fairy liquid in the shower if I didn't have anything else available.

Guess me and the b2b are off shopping some time in the next few weeks to have a sniff at what's available.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

AJ, I personally would not choose to wear a perfume as a luxury to make me feel special (although I do wear perfume to do this, that's not a factor in wearing it on my wedding day). Smell is an immensely evocative sense, maybe the most evocative sense we have. For example, if I smell Jean Paul Gaultier Yellow Jeans, I am 21 again, driving my blue Nova down the A346, on the way to see Boyfriend X, listening to Never Ever by All Saints. Whether that memory is good or bad is irrelevant, it hits me like, well, a kick in the stomach. For me, a smell can get as close to time travel as I am going to see in my lifetime.

I want to wear a perfume on my wedding day that will imprint like that. A unique and perfect memory trigger. And I think you should too. But not perfume Smiley winking

• MandM90
    Beginner July 2011
    MandM90 ·
    • Hide content

I read this as "Weddings smell for men" and thought "Oh, no...here we go again..."

Unfortunately as a women only household I can't comment on wedding smells for men!

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

I think you've said better what I was trying to say - to buy something for special occasions that I can use to remind me of our wedding day, not necessarily to spend out for the sake of it - and if a can of Brut is what it takes so be it Smiley smile

I'm sure we all have 'triggers', be it sounds, music, sights, smells or whatever that remind us of certain times and places, and although I fully expect our wedding day to be forever memorable it would be nice to have something that I can take with me Smiley smile

• Daisymclazy
    Beginner July 2012
    Daisymclazy ·
    • Hide content

I have to recommend Unforgivable by Sean Paul. It smells gorgeous and when we first got together and I was going through some hard times H2B lent me the bottle so I could spray it on my pillow to help me sleep - it worked! Been together nearly five years now and it's still my absolute favourite - comforting but sexy as well.

Try it during your shop visit AJ - may not suit you but worth a go.

• BespokeTailor
    BespokeTailor ·
    • Hide content

AJ,

I am not a big one for flowery/perfume type smells. I tend to use old-man type ones. To be honest I think they are preferable, they smell more man-esque to me and have always proved popular. ?

Check out this place this is where I buy all of mine: https://www.trumpers.com/

Or try this smell, I always keep some of this in the house: https://www.dunhill.com/

Marc

• PaulsPrincess
    Beginner May 2012
    PaulsPrincess ·
    • Hide content

Just bought Only The Brave by Diesel for OH for his birthday a couple of weeks ago. That was on offer in the Perfume Shop and smels yummy.

He also loves Channel Allure Homme but is a bit pricey, or Jean Paul Gaultier!

Theres a lot of lovely ones out there. Maybe you and your B2B could go together and find one you both like for both of you?

x

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mr Mini will be wearing this also- makes me go all wobbly.

AJ- What will Mrs AJ be wearing perfume wise? You can always get the mens version of that?

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

Another issey miyake fan here

Theres a shop (I think its called bodyworks) who do little mens fragrance bottles, and I think superdrug do too?

• Samantha2704
    Beginner July 2011
    Samantha2704 ·
    • Hide content

OH is wearing Jean Paul Gaultier on the day......but like a few people have said, its worth having a sniff before you buy anything...if you are short on a bob or two i'd recommend popping into Wilkinsons (if you have one) i find them to be a lot cheaper than boots/superdrug etc

HTH

• Ixia
    Beginner
    Ixia ·
    • Hide content

H wore one of Next's own fragrances and it was lovely! It was inexpensive but lasted the whole day. He uses it regularly now.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Well we survived the experience - I can't say it was a particularly enjoyable one, with a seemingly irritated manager who didn't like the fact we tried a load of different smells and didn't really know what we wanted, although we kept saying what we liked and didnt like to try and help them narrow it down. One smelt like the sort of glue you use for putting a plastic plane kit together...

We did try some of the ones that were mentioned in this discussion but none of them really "did it" for us. Eventually I settled on Davidoff Champion, and she settled on Ghost Enchanted Bloom.

Thanks for your help all.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics