Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

knitting_vixen
Beginner September 2011

Wedding things you like even though you know they are tacky...

knitting_vixen, 11 September, 2011 at 18:00

Posted on Planning 62

What wedding things do you love (and want) even though you know they are perceived as tacky by others? For me it's those plastic silver horseshoe things that are given to brides to carry along with flowers. They are so kitsch! I really hope someone gets me one.

What wedding things do you love (and want) even though you know they are perceived as tacky by others?

For me it's those plastic silver horseshoe things that are given to brides to carry along with flowers. They are so kitsch! I really hope someone gets me one.

62 replies

• Cilla
    Beginner April 2012
    Cilla ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooh go for it!! In those surroundings it'll be a lovely addition

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh my...

Is her fiance on board with this?

• Mrs Whippy
    Beginner September 2012
    Mrs Whippy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sadly not. Although, this might be a good thing, as they are both quite (how can I say this politely?) 'large'.

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Could make for an interesting video to stick on you tube though... (or you've been framed, £250, wahey!!!!)

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

I like the owl idea, I thought you were joking at first (no offence) but once you explained it I thought that would be so amazing!

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

I think everyone's interpretation of tacky, or unnecessary, will be different - we choose these things because we want them. I'm sure very few intentionally set out to be tacky or cheap looking though.

I can safely say that we are not having anything cheap looking or tacky at our wedding because every aspect is exactly how we want it, and if we thought it was cheap or tacky, we wouldn't have included it.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You can get a few types - a running Vodka one, a ski slope style one you'd either put a glass/mouth at the bottom and also one which you could drink directly from.

I imagine they would work out very expensive, especially by the time I added the cost of my favourite Vodka.

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't want my wedding to look cheap and tacky, but I know that the sliver horseshoes are and I don't care, I want one! I wouldn't blame others for thinking it was tacky!

• katie1103
    Beginner September 2012
    katie1103 ·
    • Hide content

im having a sweetie table complete with wham and high land toffee bars?

i also want ( but both my parents and h2b looked at me like i had gone insane) a singing chimney sweep to entertain guests whilst were having photographs done, there is one near to where i live that sings wedding songs in the style of dick van *** in mary poppins, tacky but not very common

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

Dirty Dancing first dance reminds me of someone else I know of who had "Don't Wanna Miss a Thing" by Aerosmith as theirs and they half sang half danced to it ?

• xtine88xx
    Beginner September 2012
    xtine88xx ·
    • Hide content

I love the singing chimney sweep idea! BRILLIANT! I would so have that! I wanted a barber shop quartet for the exact same thing but they are quite expensive ☹️

• Michelle772012
    Beginner July 2012
    Michelle772012 ·
    • Hide content

not so much tacky as completley pointless wine glass charms...... theyre soi pointless yet ive spent two hours looking for some to match our colours!!

missrae i have made 200 of these but have individually designed them for each guest for my favour bags i quite like them myself and easy to do x
  • *porsche*
    Beginner January 2001
    *porsche* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't!

• Sparkly Bride
    Beginner August 2012
    Sparkly Bride ·
    • Hide content

I think mine will be the music!! I want all the cheese playing. I know its not what everybody would listen to at home but it really does get everybody up dancing at occasions! I always remember going to weddings as a little girl and they were the best times ever!! That is how I hope my wedding day will be xx

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

First dance - complete cheesy tack - but it's not a wedding unless you do. We've made it a little less chessy/tacky by having a rock ballad and learning to waltz. Confetti is tacky if it's the cheap wedding cut-out shapes, but again it's not a wedding until you have some stuck in your hair/veil/cleavage.

Sweetie buffets IMHO are complete tack and you won't be finding one at our wedding.

And if someone presents me with a plastic horseshoe it will get 'accidentally' dropped down the stairwell.

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I'm not a fan of plastic horse shoe's, and may have made this just a little bit clear to everyone as I got 4, which were all different. 2 ceramanic ones, one Me2You bear one and one full diamante - still tacky (IMHO) but catch the light much better in the photos.

• katie1103
    Beginner September 2012
    katie1103 ·
    • Hide content

I want a barber shop quartet too!!! i havent been to any wedding fayres as yet on the basis that i will want eveything i see ?

• xxgossipgurl
    Beginner September 2012
    xxgossipgurl ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

OMG!!! My family and I love Dick Van *** in Mary Poppins and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, I may have to steal this idea because it is awesome and FABULOUS!!!!

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have never heard of people giving horseshoes at weddings before, and then actually having to use them as part of the wedding and pictures?

I don't understand, please can someone enlighten me as to why?!

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

It's a superstition thing, as horseshoes are supposed to bring good luck. I have no idea why.

I guess it depends if you believe in that sort of thing, otherwise they're just a trinket and another thing that needs holding.

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content

So if someone gives me one am I obliged to hold it?!

• K
    Beginner December 2012
    kerianne ·
    • Hide content

My original wedding colours were purple and orange and for the centre pieces i thought a goldfish bowl with a goldfish swimming around with purple stones was quite cool but my OH thought it tacky and was concerned for their welfare! Neddless to say that idea, and the colour scheme is out the window!

• katie1103
    Beginner September 2012
    katie1103 ·
    • Hide content

I really really want one heres a link to one thats based near me

http://lucky-sweep.com/

• Dizzylizzi
    Beginner April 2012
    Dizzylizzi ·
    • Hide content

I love all things tacky, especially the music and OH is horrified that I will insist on them playing Agadoo at our reception. It's my favourite song ever and just makes me feel so happy which appears to be the complete opposite effect it has on most people!

But on the lucky horseshoe chimney sweep theme my sister is knitting me something extra special. We found a knitting magazine in a charityshop around the time of the royal wedding suggesting things you could knit for a wedding, including a dress but we're not going there. Instead I will have a knitted black cat dressed as a chimney sweep sat on a knitted horseshoe. 3 lucky charms in one and the height of tackiness, I can't wait!

• Mrs Whippy
    Beginner September 2012
    Mrs Whippy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooh yes! Although OH has decided he is in charge of music (yuh. We'll see!)

People always look at me weird when I say every bride should do the macarana in their dress!

On the subject of music, I went to a wedding last year where the first dance was Can you Feel the Love Tonight? off the Lion King. She changed her mind at the last minute for A Whole New World off Aladdin ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics