Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

rainbowbride
Beginner October 2014

wedding venue - Leez Priory

rainbowbride, 18 of August of 2012 at 10:43 Posted on Planning 0 33

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site and to the whole wedding planning. we have recently viewed Leez Priory and thought it was amazing, i could see myself getting married there and having a perfect day, but would like opinion from others.

Has anyone been married at Leez Priory to give honest opinion, good and bad? was service good, food, wedding planner helpful. i know its an amazing place but i dont want to be naive.

thanks for your help in advance ?

33 replies

Latest activity by Ben, 7 of May of 2021 at 17:14
  • O
    Beginner September 2013
    oggers86 ·
    • Hide content

Have you tried Trip Advisor?

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations on your engagement and welcome to Hitched.

I just Googled the venue and it looks amazing! Really amazing. Hopefully someone here can help you more.

Good luck with your planning Smiley smile

• rainbowbride
    Beginner October 2014
    rainbowbride ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much, its an amaing place, lookin round was like a fairytale.

Trip advisor came back with no results found Smiley smile

• rainbowbride
    Beginner October 2014
    rainbowbride ·
    • Hide content

Oh i see. that was a shame. thank you for you honesty ?

• Longtimecoming
    Beginner August 2013
    Longtimecoming ·
    • Hide content

Leez Priory was my dream venue, I loved the pictures of it and thought id feel like a princess however the more people I spoke to the more put off I got Smiley sad

Everybody agrees that the venue is absolutely stunning and the wedding pictures ive seen are gorgeous however everyone complained about the fact that the dance floor is in the cellar, meaning most of the reception party stay upstairs by the bar. Sereval people who had been to different weddings said it was very hard to get the dance floor filled up and the atmosphere fizzles out where your guests are scattered about.

Hope this helps

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

Depending on your budget and what you're after, there are loads of lovely Essex venues.

Where else have you considered?

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

We can give some professional opinions on the venue, having shot a few weddings there.

It's a lovely venue with lots of opportunity for photos- both for group and family shots and also for bride and groom portraits.

The staff, in our experience have always been fantastic. Their wedding co-ordinator has always been efficient, without being pushy or unnecessarily bossy. Bar/waiting staff have always been friendly and helpful too.

The food is beautiful- each time we've been provided with the same meal as the guests are eating.

"Bad" wise, the dancefloor and entire dancefloor area is rather tiny for such a venue and is a little awkwardly located in my opinion. It's down some little wooden stairs, which you'd probably never anticipate was where the party was happening unless you knew otherwise.

Guests therefore seem to hang around in other areas and wont always venture in, which means frequently the dancefloor area is empty or not very well used (in our experience) Probably also due to the fact that there is no seating in there- so older guests prefer to sit in the bar, which is elsewhere. Also, if guests are tired or need a sit down, they have to leave- which makes it more likely they wont come back! Entering that room is also a bit like walking into a pub and everyone turning around to look at you if there aren't many people there as you have to walk down the little stairs to go in, which are the focal point in the room due to its size.

Another thing worth noting possibly, is how many of your own touches you want to add. A previous bride for example, mentioned to us that she wanted to have an afternoon tea party but said that she hadn't been allowed to. Others have also echoed similar things, which suggests everything is quite "set" and you may just have to choose between the options you are given for certain things, rather than what you may have ordinarily chosen yourself.
    Of course however, that's second hand information and therefore may not be 100% accurate.

Oh and of course it's relative, but it's one of the more expensive venues in the area.

If you have specific questions we'll try to help Smiley smile

• F
    Beginner September 2012
    fry12 ·
    • Hide content

Ok firstly yes the grounds and overall venue is stunning, I went to a beautiful summer wedding there!

However I never entertained it as a venue choice as the same with all other comments, the dance floor is just bizarre? It was always empty when I went to this wedding as everyone else had said and the one time is was not for the first dance barley everyone could fit in to see and it was soooooooo hot!

Habe you looked at Gosfield? It's there sister venue?

• rainbowbride
    Beginner October 2014
    rainbowbride ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all so much for the information. When we viewed it we did think the dance floor was a bit unusually placed, we wil be having roughly 40 people at the wedding and me and hubby to be are not the dancing type so it hadnt really bothered us too much but i have to take in to account others wanting to dance and they wil be separate from the other wedding guests who wont be dancing. i must admint i do like to people watch there funny dance moves once the wine starts to flow, which would be tricky in this case.

we have the booklet for gosfield and do plan to view it, i currently live in chester so difficult to pop there on days off, we will tie it in to a visit to hubbys family. we have requested a few booklets for other venues, just none of them seem as wow-ie as Leez.

i also take in to account that things seem 'set' as i would of liked an ice cream van and chip van but was told i couldnt have these, also if i wanted fireworks i had to use only one company which charge £750 for 10 mins.

The cost to pre book is very expensive but we were looking to take advantage of the deals they do which seem pretty good compared to some places i have seen, as there are the added extra's like the bride and bridesmaid cottage the night before which is the first time i have seen this as part of the venue.

Thank you for all the information it is really helpful

• Loopz
    Beginner March 2013
    Loopz ·
    • Hide content

Having spoken to friends who books the late deals, they don't seem to be as good as they first seem. A few friends have said they were pressured into extras which really bulked up the price.

Are you looking for venues in Essex then? We looked at Boreham House which is lovely, Hylands House, quendon hall (Parklands) which is stunning, or just over e Suffolk border, Hengrave Hall (biased as it's my venue, but it really has that wow factor too) xx

• rainbowbride
    Beginner October 2014
    rainbowbride ·
    • Hide content

Just googled Hengrave hall and wow. it looks amazing. is it expensive? and also is it wheel chair friendly? i like the boys room, iam rapidly finding the groom seems to not be catered for on the day as it to is there special day.

hubby to be's family live in sudbury so a venue around that area is what we are looking for as his dad i sin a wheel chair and we do not want to put him throu the drive to chester for the wedding. xx

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would echo Parklands if you're looking in that price bracket- it's beautiful and seems to be more flexible.

The wild deer in the fields behind set the scene perfectly and at sunset, wow. It was just amazing.

Yesterdays wedding was there and the couple had an ice cream bike, hog roast, chocolate fountains, photobooth, a balloon release and all kinds of other things that required external suppliers to come in. It was fabulous and everyone (staff wise I mean) was wonderful, helpful and polite.

It's probably one of the best venues we've ever shot at, I couldn't fault it.

• rainbowbride
    Beginner October 2014
    rainbowbride ·
    • Hide content

I have emailed parklands for some information and pricing as it looks lovely.

we have spent most of the day on website looking at other venues some of which have been suggested on here and there is alot of lovely places that has now make us have a re-think. booklets havee been requested from a few places for us to have look through which will help with our decision...hopefully xx

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

What sort of budget do you have for venue?

Gaynes Park in Epping is also gorgeous, but is expensive on weekends, but you can get a good deal for mid week weddings. It's also very booked up which is why we discounted it.

Ingatestone Hall is also gorgeous...you hire the grounds, but then put up a marquee, get in caterers etc. My friends are getting married there next year.

• rainbowbride
    Beginner October 2014
    rainbowbride ·
    • Hide content

As we dont have a date set the cost for the venue can be anything. but obviously within reason. we would like to get married next year so probably aiming for £5k for venue and food / drinks as thats what we can achieve by next year. if the venue was amazing and slightly more then we would be willing to wait but not pay to much more as we dont own our own house and the money would be a nice deposit.

as we would like to get married in the colder season we have ruled out and outdoor wedding, but will venture outside for pictures ? what i want might be completely unrealistic, i am new at this so forgive me if i am way off the mark xx

• Loopz
    Beginner March 2013
    Loopz ·
    • Hide content

Hengrave is a little expensive, the hire use expensive bit....I think we're paying about £4000 :s

They have a caterer you have to use, but are quite flexible with what you do....ice cream cart etc. I think it is wheelchair friendly from what I remember and they have dedicated 'disabled' accommodation if you want to stay. I love the groom's room so it's not all about the bride.

They are lovely and really flexible, so it mug be worth dropping them an email if it's not in budget because I reckon they can be approached for discount (I was too excited and forgot!). Smiley smile

• Loopz
    Beginner March 2013
    Loopz ·
    • Hide content

If the wedding is off peak, they're more likely to discount too, as it means they will get extra use!

• Pink Han-bag
    Beginner March 2013
    Pink Han-bag ·
    • Hide content

We're going to a wedding at LP in December, interesting to hear the comments. What a shame about the dancefloor being separate, I was hoping we could have a table and sit down a bit as well as dance, plus we have a toddler.

• rainbowbride
    Beginner October 2014
    rainbowbride ·
    • Hide content

It is a shame about the dance floor it wasnt what i expected it to be but as we arent really dancing people it shouldnt hinder us to much plus nothing stopping people dancing in the bar, as i was told whatever music is played by the DJ in the dance floor room will be played in the bar too.

This is the first time i feel stressed out about the wedding, i always said i wont be one of them brides that lets things get to me, but stumbling at the first hurdle of the venue has made me have a little wobble. We thought Leez was the place, viewed and loved it, on reflection and looking round more has stopped us in our tracks and made us have re-think x

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

As you're having a realtively small wedding, have you considered having a reception in a pub or similar. There are loads of country pubs with nice function rooms, where you'll get really good food etc and you won't pay over the odds.

The Lion Inn in Boreham is fabulous, but the function room there only seats 32. Their sister restaurant, the Blue Strawberry, is also lovely, might be worth giving them a call.

https://bluestrawberrybistro.co.uk/restfunctions.asp

• rainbowbride
    Beginner October 2014
    rainbowbride ·
    • Hide content

We have really took pubs in to consideration as we would like something a little more grand, but we havent ruled it out. I will have a look at the place you suggest. Thanks ?

• rainbowbride
    Beginner October 2014
    rainbowbride ·
    • Hide content

Oh my sister would love to bring her dog with her ?, i hope you have a brilliant day sounds like you have eveything you want. xx

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No worries

But be warned, grand places often have a grand price tag.

Might be worth getting in touch with Ingatestone Hall as I think you can have smaller weddings inside, now I come to think of it.

• L
    Beginner September 2012
    Leanneweddle ·
    • Hide content

My advise would be to keep looking on the internet. When I was looking I went to view the standard places in Essex like Fennes, Parklands and Newland Hall but found they came with a big price tag. (10k plus!) My dad happened to come accross Crabbs Barn in Kelvedon which is equally as beautiful, but without the huge price tag. (£6.5k) This includes practically everything! They are also very flexible and have been very helpful so far. Other places which I would reconmend that are reasonably priced are Channels Golf Club, Mulberry house and Blake Hall. Keep searching and Im sure you'll find the place when you know it, just like your dress!

All the best xxx

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

I have been to a wedding at Gosfield Hall and it was poor, it really was. The venue is tired and poorly looked after (I think it was probably done fairly cheaply to begin with). There were not enough staff and no one was particularly helpful, the ceremony room was a narrow, dark little corridor, the food was just average, the dance floor was oddly situated. The whole day felt a bit 'make do' not a carefully planned, important occasion at all...the couple had got a late deal in August on a Wednesday, and honestly I'd have preferred a really lovely do in a village hall. I felt like we were all getting treated quite badly and had little choice but to put up with it. Not good. I've visited SO many Essex venues, I can give you the low down on most! The Reid Rooms looks nice - and I think it can be done fairly cheaply there. We've gone for Spains Hall in Finchingfield, which might be worth a look, too?

• rainbowbride
    Beginner October 2014
    rainbowbride ·
    • Hide content

Is your wedding at leez priory? not long till your big day x

• S
    Beginner
    sholder ·
    • Hide content

We have just booked our Wedding at Leez Priory and I love it! I know what you mean about the dance floor, but we are having a winter wedding so at least people will all be inside, the music can be heard throughout the house and it has so much character as opposed to just 1 or 2 rooms at most bigger venues and hotels which I just don't get the same feel from. We also want an intimate feel that most bigger venues don't have and with the fireplaces and candles it will just feel lovely. I think at any venue especially in the summer, people end up outside anyway and scattered around so it doesn't really matter and people shouldn't be forced to dance. Also there are 3 or 4 little tables and chairs in the dance floor area.

Our wedding party is 60 guests, with some happier to stay away from a DJ pumping out music and the others I am sure will be dancing! I am also going to have a pianist playing in the little room for grandparents. You can really use your imagination and make it your own......but of course I am biased having just booked!

• rainbowbride
    Beginner October 2014
    rainbowbride ·
    • Hide content

Awww it sounds perfect for you, since i wrote this post i have requested brochures for every possible venue in suffolk and i dont think anything compares to Leez. it has a special place in my heart and i am yet to find something that will beat it.

did you get a last minute off or pre booked, hope you dont mind me asking?

what room are you having your ceramony in? we wil have the barn as we have a guest who needs wheel chair access but out favorite room is the tower which we will have pictures take in x

• rainbowbride
    Beginner October 2014
    rainbowbride ·
    • Hide content

Awww it sounds perfect for you, since i wrote this post i have requested brochures for every possible venue in suffolk and i dont think anything compares to Leez. it has a special place in my heart and i am yet to find something that will beat it.

did you get a last minute off or pre booked, hope you dont mind me asking?

what room are you having your ceramony in? we wil have the barn as we have a guest who needs wheel chair access but out favorite room is the tower which we will have pictures take in x

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Wow, gorgeous venue!

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

Hi mellybride, we booked our wedding venue earlier this year in essex. we went to see 7 venues, all of which were very lovely and had their own pros and cons.

* Smeetham Hall Barn, Bulmer (think this one is just classed as suffolk)

* Crabbs Barn, kelvedon

* Marks Hall, coggelshall

* Maidens Barn, Chelmsford

* Blake Hall, Chipping Ongar

* Crondon Park, Stock

* Vaulty Manor, Maldon

Honestly think they are all stunning but Vaulty Manor stole our hearts and ticked the most boxes. I know you havent got the fortune of being able to visit lots of venues but maybe have a look online into these, more of a barn feel than leez priory but see what you think! xxxxxxxxxx

• S
    Beginner
    sholder ·
    • Hide content

Well the wedding is in Feb, so we booked about 5 months in advance, so not a real last minute offer but nonetheless I think a good offer. They have given it to us for 7k for a weekend date and that includes all the 15 overnight rooms for guests to stay too and then breakfast in the morning.

We are having it in the tower as it is my favourite room too and I think with a bit of patience people should be able to manage the staircase! The barn will be lovely too though. In fact you are spoilt for choice there!

I am just currently trying to find a musician that will be able to take their instrument up those stairs for the ceremony, hehe!

xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics