Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mellow_Yellow
Beginner May 2012

Weight...overweight, obese, morbidly obese, etc.

Mellow_Yellow, 12 of July of 2013 at 13:58 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 61

Just a musing, as weight is discussed a fair bit on here.

I was reading a book last week about weight problems, and it suggested that Britain as a nation is desensitised when it comes to obesity. The argument was that many of us are overweight, but because everyone is overweight, what is deemed to be overweight now has changed for us. Many people are technically obese on a BMI chart (which is a good guide for most people) yet if you asked 100 people in the street many would think that you would need to be much much heavier to be classed as obese. So many people talk about how BMI is nonsense, exercise turns fat to muscle, some people are just big boned, and many other 'myths'.

Just curious what you Otters think of it all?

I for one am currently overwight, I ned to lose exactly one stone to fit in the healthy area of the BMI chart. Yet, my mum tells me that I'll look ill if I lose weight, which I know isn't true as I was two stone lighter at our wedding than I am now and I looked great, not ill at all.

For me according to the BMI chart 8st5lbs is absolutely ideal, anything over 9st6lbs takes me in to overweight, 11st5lbs takes me in to obese, and 15st2lbs takes me in to morbidly obese. I would never have guessed that a 15 stone person could be considered morbidly obese, but as I'm a tiny 5ft 1" I guess that I could. When I was at my heaviest (11st 12lbs) I didn't think I looked that bad, and thought that BMI was a load of nonsense, as did my mum and gran who didn't believe that I was obese either. Now, looking back at the photos it is so clear that I was, and it took for me to lose the weight to see how heavy I was, if that makes sense?

Anyway, I'm waffling...do you think that we have changed our view of a healthy weight in our minds? Do we associate morbidly obese purely with those extreme cases of people who cannot stand for lengths of time or walk unaided? Are we becoming increasingly desensitised to obesity as a nation?

61 replies

Latest activity by Helenia, 12 of July of 2013 at 23:06
  • AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

I am overweight. I should lose at least a stone and probably two to be back in the right area, but I am older than most here and it DOES make a difference. Post menopause I put on weight and it is phenomenally difficult to shift. I'm also a different shape than I used to be. I used to be a size 12/14, now I'm a 14/16 with a fatter waist.

On the plus side I am reasonably fit and power walk 3.5 miles a day.

We probably have changed our collective view on fat. But body image seems to be far more important these days than before, although how those two things reconcile with each other is beyond me.

• loadsagifts
    Beginner January 2012
    loadsagifts ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am an older lady too, not yet menopausal (*sp) but I am classed as obese. I am a totally different shape too esp after having 2 children and I carry all my "fat" around my tummy. I see a personal trainer once a week, dog walk every night and go to the gym yet I am still the same size (I am trying to eat healthier too)

I agree totally with AC about body image and how hard it is though shift weight as you get older. I will keep trying though!

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

I am classed as overweight. I'm 5ft 4 and 11st 4lb, I am a size 10/12.

I need to lose 2 stone to be in the middle of my healthy weight range, yet I have been told by people that many would 'kill' for a figure like mine.

I do think we have become desensitized to obesity. Many times I have seen a bigger woman decribed as curvy when she is blatently just overweight/obese. I think this is wrong because it reinforces a view that being unhealthy is ok.

I also think that the media likes to batter women with an idea of 'normal' If you are over a size 14 you are fat but under a size 10 you are not a 'real' woman. We cant win.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Having seen photos of you Rod, you do look good...but I agree that looking good in a dress for a night out doesn't equal being healthy...you've hit on the point I was trying to make.

This is what the book was saying. That is has become normal to be heavier and so now overweight is seen as normal, obese as curvy, morbidly obese as needing to lose a few pounds.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Yes. Yes.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I am 5' 5". I am 11st 10lbs so am in the middle of the overweight category.

Like Rod, I need to lose two stone to be in the middle of the ideal range and one stone to be just into the healthy range.

What I hate about Rod is that in BMI terms we are pretty much exactly the same. Yet she looks like her and I look like, well, me.

I agree that what is considered normal is higher than it was.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

I agree with a lot that's been said here. I am overweight, I am 5 foot 4 and 11 stone. I also put weight on around my tummy which is incredibly unhealthy.

People don't like the word obese, understandably, but sadly I think we collectively do need to wake up and realise that our perceptions are wrong.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is mental. I am 5'4'' and a usual 10/sometime 12, but at around 9st. Am I full of air? (Not just of the hot variety....)

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

I'm in the healthy BMI, only just though.

I was obese at my heaviest, but I did look it. I still think I look fat, though, even though I'm healthy.

Whilst I agree that some people don't *look* morbidly obese, the fact is the heavier you are (in most cases) the worse it is for your health. Obviously there are exceptions, but generally if you're obese, you'll have health problems later in life.

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

People always say I look about 9 and a half stone. I wish!

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So you hate me now?! haha!

I like to think my weight is made up of the 3 b's. Boobs, bum, brain. All very heavy haha

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Just going off on a tangent slightly I'm 5ft 9 and weigh almost 12 stone yet I'm most definitely a suze 12 to 14. I can't work out how rod is 5 inches shorter and only half a stone lighter and can wear size 10 clothes. That doesn't make sense to my tiny addled brain!

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

I'm the same height as Rod and a few pounds lighter but need a size 14 for my bum and a 10-12 on top!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes. Was that not clear? ?

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

?

• KittenCake
    Beginner May 2013
    KittenCake ·
    • Hide content

I am roughly the same height and weight as Rod. I wear a size 10 top and size 14 bottoms. I think your clothing size depends a lot on how your weight is distributed rather than just how tall you are and how much you weigh, if that makes sense.

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

Yep its about body shape. As well as where you buy your clothes from I find.

This is my point about BMI. A woman I work with is the same height as me, 9st. But doesnt drink water and eats crisps all day. So yes, her BMI is good but she isnt healthy.

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well I'm not lying haha!

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well I'm not lying haha!

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

BMI charts tell me im obese...seeing as im 5"1 il always be classed as obese unless im 8 stone 7 or something ridiculous!!!!!!!!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am also 5'4", a 10-12 and weigh 10 stone now (yay lost 6 pounds!)

its not like I even have decent norks to weigh me down. How does this happen?

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

Beats me Mini one!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Rod, you've obviously got heavy feet and a heavy brain!!

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

I am 5'3, 10stone (or at least I was last time I weighed myself as my scales have run out of battery) and a size 10-12 (though usually a 12). According to BMI I'm overweight, although only just. I don't think I look overweight but mainly because the weight is distributed between my boobs, stomach and thighs, so I'm fairly evenly proportioned, and since I'm careful about what I wear most people don't realise how big my belly actually is! I have quite muscly thighs from doing a lot of walking and there's not much I can do about the weight of my boobs, but I would like to lose some of my stomach flab.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

I've never known that we were the same height...9st 6lbs will get you in the ideal range.

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Clearly! I am not small framed and bird like. I am fairly heavy set i suppose.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I never realised you were so short. In my head, you are a leggy one.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Rod, what size boobs are you?

I am only a B cup, so mine probably weigh about 2 lb altogether.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

and i always thought you were a tall'un!

• O
    Beginner September 2013
    oggers86 ·
    • Hide content

My BMI is 23 which is about in the middle of normal.

I weigh around 8.5 stone (55kg ish) am 5"1 and my top half can be anything between 6-8, bottom half 8-10 depending on where I shop. My hips are my main issue but I cant do a lot about bone...

I have been this weight since I was 18, at one point I was down to 53kg but I was exercising more and eating a bit more healthy. Just after that I was down to 50kg but I lived on toast due to my erratic working hours so that wasnt a healthy diet either.

I think sometimes we focus too much on BMI and what is supposedly obese, would be not be better focusing more on the percentage of body fat because surely someone could have less body fat and be smaller than somebody who has more body fat and is taller, thus has the potential to be obese...

At the other end of the scale I feel there is a lot of pressure to be skinny and anything over a 10 is deemed fat.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I wish!!!

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

Well according to this I am over-weight.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics