Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

HatTrick
Beginner September 2010

Were you smacked as a child?

HatTrick, 6 January, 2012 at 16:06 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 78

I've just been discussing this with my boss. I was smacked, my mum used to threaten us with the wooden spoon ? which she did use a few times! I can't ever imagine her doing this now and it's strange to think of it.

I was never 'beaten' but did get the odd smack which whilst it didn't do me any harm I wouldn't say it did me any good. A far more effective method of punishment for me was if I knew that I had disappointed my parents, I used to feel awful.

78 replies

Latest activity by NewYearRose, 6 January, 2012 at 22:43
  • T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

Never. One look from my mum was enough for me to stop whatever it was I was doing wrong!

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

The one and only time i got a smack was when i was about 7, and i called my dad a barsteward, not realising what the word meant...i cried and cried and cried!!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Once... a short sharp smack on the back of the leg... stung like mad!!!

Never did anything to deserve one again. The look was enough!

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

Oh no, now I feel like a child rebel! You lot must have been angelic!

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

From time to time on the bum if i was uber naughty.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You can come and join my naughty gang ?

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh no, my sister was evil, just never got caught.

My parents did the disappointment thing... I hated that. They still do it now!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

I used to get the slipper a lot!

Never did me any harm, though I think I'd have a better relationship with my Dad if he'd have shown more love instead of punishment. I don't have a *bad* relationship with him, but we're not very close, IYKWIM.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

I'd better join the naughty club too, I was smacked.

Also suffered the naughty step..anyone else have this?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Yep if I was very naughty I used to get smacked on the bum. It actually never hurt though. She used to make me walk to her for her to smack me. Ultimate humiliation!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not quite... but if told off I would take myself upstairs to think about what I did... and stamp on every stair on the way!!

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

Only ever twice by my mum. Once when I'd lost my house keys in my little purse which happened to have something in it with my address on. She had to pay for someone to come out and change the locks. The other time was when I answered back to her REALLY badly. Can't remember what I said but I know it was awful.

Generally she didn't smack me or shout, but then my stepdad at the time was a violent bully and regularly beat me for no reason, so it was a strange environment to try and discipline a child anyway ?

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nah, I just used to get whacked. ?

I've had the slipper too, and if I wasn't caught in time it was chucked at me!

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

When I was really little it was a smack on the bum, as I got a bit older it was the back of the hand...she made me hold my hand out and it was awful as I knew what was coming. I bit my brother one time and so my mum bit me, not very hard but enough to put me off doing it again.

A far more effective deterrent for me was being grounded!

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I remember once I had my mouth washed out with soap, and I had to fetch the soap ?

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

I used to get a smack if really naughty and so did most of my cousins (west Indian family) it is how we were raised. We laugh about it now but it wasn't funny then!

I don't smack my son as he knows I am angry by my tone of voice which is enough.

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

I think I did get the odd slap on the behind but nothing that majorly sticks out to me. More often we were made to stand in the corner, facing the wall (was this a predecessor of the naughty step?) and think about what we'd done. I hated it.

I remember my dad cutting the plug off my telly once (I think I was about 7) and being majorly distressed over it as I had to miss the Krankie's Electronic Comic.

As a teen, i was only ever grounded once and that was because I had told my mum I was going to the cinema and i was really going to the pub with some men in their 20's (I was 13 and very easily led).

• Big Apple
    Beginner February 2013
    Big Apple ·
    • Hide content

I rarely was, but it sticks with me the times I was! once when my mum told me to shape myself, I asked her if she'd prefer me to be a square or a triangle, she chased me around the house and gave me a good hiding, I thought it was very whitty for an 8yr old!!

Her classic was 'I'm not angry just disappointed' still cuts deep the thought of her saying it even now!!

• D
    Beginner
    darkivy ·
    • Hide content

Yes, but I was a little git and I deserved it!

My Mum was more a shout and scream kind of parent, whereas my Dad was all for a smack on the bum! Whenever we did something wrong we would be threatened with 'wait till your Dad gets home' and that terrified us!!

And it never did us any harm. My sister doesn't believe in smacking and my nephew runs rings around her!

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

We used to get a smack for each word she said, I prayed for a short sentence.

Don't (smack) ever (smack) do (smack) that (smack) again (smack)

and the classic

stop crying or I will smack you WTF!!

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh it's all coming back now! This is exactly what I used to get!

I feel I should add I was a little sh.it and I thoroughly deserved it really.

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content

I was smacked, but I don't like to think about it. They aren't good memories.

Don't get me wrong it wasn't like my parents did anything really bad, but on one or two occasions I was smacked because they lost their temper not because it was a thought out punishment. I think they very much regret it and i hate to think of my parents doing that. Best forgotten.

• nicnol
    Beginner October 2011
    nicnol ·
    • Hide content

Quite alot by my Mum. Never by my Dad. I did push him a little too far once and threatened to punch the living daylights out of me. I was about 13/14 at the time & a proper know it all teenager. I probably deserved it in all honesty. He did cry after as he had never flipped out like that before at me. He has done that once at my brother as well punching the wall in anger rather than my brother. This was when my brother was around 16/17 and was a complete arsewipe!

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

Same here, my mum is great. It is a shame some parents these days don''t discipline their children like we were back in the day. It made me more respectful and I am an Angel now ?

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

I was smacked occassionally, when I was really bad. Me and my sister really could be terrors sometimes.

My Dad used to shout a lot, he wasn't a very good Dad (I have mentioned that we are estranged before) and he used to say 'keep screaming like you're being murdered and I'll Bl00dy well murder you'. What a lovely man.

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

Yes my brother and I were smacked, or we got the 'I'm going to count to 3' thing. We never let my Mum get further than 2 and 3/4!

• Natalie2011
    Beginner September 2012
    Natalie2011 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

exactly this! the glare was enough! often fear of the glare was enough! LOL!

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

? Naughty girl too, more often my younger bruv got me into trouble! I got the blame loads? got smacked on bum a fair bit by my mum upto about age 10/11ish and the wait till your father gets in! he smacked me probably about 3 or 4 times in my life but the raise of the hand and the noise he made was enough to stop me in my tracks

With my daughter I smacked her bum once when she was 3 and she turned around straight away and said it didn't hurt! - didn't do it again, she had naughty step, sent to her room and now the grounding and removing of her items seem to work wonders! (I hope)

• Cookie Galore
    Beginner November 2009
    Cookie Galore ·
    • Hide content

I was smacked on the bum but never in temper, only as discipline. The VERY few occassions my parents got it wrong and smacked me for something I hadn't done are the only ones that I can remember, which just shows it's injustice that sticks rather than punishment, for me at least.

• Mrs Whippy
    Beginner September 2012
    Mrs Whippy ·
    • Hide content

I was a little bugger and got a good few slaps. I remember my mum chasing me to smack me, and I smacked her first. She stopped after that.

I also got the "if you don't stop crying I'll give you something to cry about". ?

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

I was smacked ALOT. My Mum had serious temper issues. She'd smack us for something, then an hour or so later, we'd get another for something we'd done 2 weeks before, but she'd just remembered it.

I wasn't a naughty child (apart from making my younger sis take 10p out of her money box to buy me a "chomp" -I got smacked and grounded for that) but my Mum flipped easily.

She smacked my son once, she's lucky i never smacked her back. After a major talking to, she's never laid a finger on him since.

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

I was chased round the field behind my house with a wooden spoon by my Mum often. I was a right little brat, with an older sister who blamed everything on me (It usually was me tbh). Dad rarely smacked, I was his little girl (Still am ?). I was never ever grounded though and my parents weren't strict at all.

I know of lots of kids who could do with a wallop once in a while, gets the message across after a few warnings.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics