Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner July 2014

What are you meant to keep a secret/surprise?

blueypye, 27 of June of 2013 at 16:05 Posted on Planning 0 17

Hi ladies (and gents),

So, Im really enjoying all of this wedding planning businees! Me and my OH are getting married next July and I can't wait. I just had a question and was wondering what all of your thoughts were as I don't know: What are you meant to keep a secret/surprise from your OH before the big day? I know that you are supposed to keep your outfit a secret (for luck?), but what about bridesmaids outfits, flowers, the music that I will walk down the ailse to, etc. I'd personally like to share everything with him (including what I am wearing as I just want to shout it from the rooftops!), but I remember for my sister's wedding all of our bridemaid outfits were kept a secret from the groom, and the grooms' and ushers outfits were a surprise for the bride too (I'd gone along with them to ensure the whole 'look' went together but the groom essentially went with what he wanted.

What are you/have you done?

17 replies

Latest activity by Janey4, 28 of June of 2013 at 22:02
  • 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Only private thing is my dress, veil, hair, make-up, and their suits.

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

H2B does know the dress but has been kept away from it since then. He's seen the veil, the hair flower, the bolero.

He doesn't know the underwear, or my hair/make-up style. He doesn't know about the shoe stickers, or the bundle of saucy underwear I'm packing for the honeymoon. He doesn't know about his 2 presents. He doesn't know the '5 reasons why I love you' that I'll read in the ceremony. Nor I his. Same with our speeches, they're secret.

We shared nearly everything though and loved that aspect of it. Feels very 'us'

• BlossomJ
    Beginner July 2014
    BlossomJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. I'm still in two minds as to whether to just show OH my dress haha - I have managed to keep it secret for over a year already, but we are also July next year so it's gonna be hard!

Everything else has been shared, apart from possible hair style. We usually chat away about everything and anything so I'm finding it strange! & he has admitted he would love to see my dress, but then wouldn't as he wants the wow moment!

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I didn't show him the dress. He saw the BMs' dresses - I didn't see why not, and he needed to see the colour as it set our colour scheme!

He knew about the flowers and music but honestly I don't think he cared enough for it to be an exciting "surprise" on the day.

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

Nothing was kept secret from my H.

I didn't see the point of keeping anything secret, even my dress. It is, after all, just a dress.

• B
    Beginner July 2013
    bellaZ ·
    • Hide content

I suppose H2B knows I'm having a traditional dress because he knows the shop I bought it from - and they only do bridal dresses. He's seen a picture of the bridesmaids' dresses but didn't show much interest in them ?. He doesn't know about my tiara, other jewellery, hairstyle or shoes, but he's seen the bra and knickers, because I've already worn them. The only people who've seen my outfit are my parents. Flowers my mum and I are handling between us and he hasn't shown any curiosity about them, but he and I have worked out the table decorations together and did the seating (his favourite bit!). I'm in the process of designing the table plan, which he'll see when he gets home from work. He knows what music I'm walking in to because we chose the hymns and readings together and went through the whole service with our minister.

I know what the men are wearing because the bloke came to my parents' home to measure H2B and my dad up, and mum and I basically chose the outfits for them ?.

Presents, I think I'm going to buy him a watch but he knows that, because we've been looking at styles.

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

OH and I do everything together, we are best friends as well as everything else. The wedding planning has been difficult for us because we want to surprise each other but also want to tell each other everything!! When I went for my first dress shopping outing I showed him all the pictures when I got home because I needed reassurance from him that I looked okay.

He won't be seeing 'the one' until the day though. And he isn't letting me see his suit just to be fair.

I also have a boudoir shoot lined up which he doesn't know about, and he won't be getting those pictures until the day before we get married.

And maybe he's keeping something from me, too! Who knows?

• *Teabag*
    Beginner June 2013
    *Teabag* ·
    • Hide content

I kept forgetting about keeping my dress a surprise as I was forever talking about it in front of my OH. I think that it went right over his head though... My Mum did drop a bit of a clanger and showed us the cake topper she'd made a couple of weeks before the wedding, with me in a replica of my dress! I don't think that he clocked that either though.

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

My dress. It wasn't for luck, it was to see the look on his face. I wouldn't have got such a great reaction if he'd have seen it. I hadn't seen his suit either.

H hadn't seen the bridesmaid dress as it was a similar style to mine.

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

I've been looking all over for one of these for ages! The only site I have found is etsy and the ones I like don't deliver to the UK. Where did you get yours from if you don't mind me asking?

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

My stuff should be a surprise but Mother and BM have blabbed a few things!

Chances are he will forget most things, even the things he has been involved in, eg we have had a some RSVPs and he has said 'oh I didn't realise we invited them...' *doh*

• M
    Beginner March 2014
    Mary C to be K ·
    • Hide content

So far the only thing my OH hasn't seen is my dress, but that was his choice not mine! I'd be happy to share/discuss everything and I think he'd get enough of a surprise with the total look on the day but he doesn't want to see the dress until the day. Everything else we've both had a say in and I think it'll continue to be that way.

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

I'm not creative at all but this would be so worth it! I'll have to give it a go. Thank you Smiley smile

• O
    Beginner September 2013
    oggers86 ·
    • Hide content

OH hasnt seen my dress in the flesh (he may have accidentally stumbled on a picture though) shoes, most of my jewellery, veil, tiara. He also doesnt know what my entrance music is as I think it will be nice for the wedding march to start up and signal that I am there.

He has seen my hair and makeup but I had a trial the other day and was going straight out to dinner so there was no way I was undoing it all to redo it. He wont remember anyway ?

• J
    Beginner August 2013
    Janey4 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha ha!!! Mine is EXACTLY the same!!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics