Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MellyMoo
Beginner

What colour are your lounge carpets?

MellyMoo, 30 of August of 2010 at 09:08 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 27

Following on from thefuturemrslord's post about colour of sofas, what colour is your carpet?

I'm astounded at how many of my friends, even ones with children, have cream carpets. Even without children I would never in a million years be able to keep it clean. My friends do seem to manage though, I've no idea how!

Our lounge carpet is green, it was here when we moved in and although I'd love to change it I'm loathe to whilst the children are still dropping their dinner on it (it's a lounge/diner) plus our carpet cleaner tells us it's a very expensive carpet and very good quality so it seems we're stuck with it for now.

What colour do you have? (You're all going to say 'cream' aren't you?!)

27 replies

Latest activity by ebony_rose, 1 of September of 2010 at 12:19
  • HappyGirl
    Beginner November 2008
    HappyGirl ·
    • Hide content

Ours is cream with marks on it - the marks are - food, drink, probably poo and wee!!!!!!

I wished I could change it but it was H and my treat when we built the house - an expensive carpet for the living room. I soooooo wished we hadn't chosen it.

• HavanaBaby
    Dedicated September 2024
    HavanaBaby ·
    • Hide content

We also had a green carpet when we moved it. It was dark though but fabulous quality. I couldn't live with it though so promptly changed to laminate in the living room as we have a dog and it's been quite handy since D's arrival. Toys and ride-ons work better on hard floor ? We just have a big rug in the middle which is cheaper to change when I fancy a change of colour than a whole new carpet.

There is still a lingering but of said dark green carpet on our stairs and landing which I'm desperate to get rid of. I'm thinking a dark beige/biscuit colour.

• catarina
    Beginner
    catarina ·
    • Hide content

We have wood in our new house, but in our last house we had a sort of beige-y latte coloured carpet that we chose because it was sold as a 'child proof' carpet! It was brilliant with anything - hot chocolate, mud, pens, juice, sick, poo, wee, anything the kids subjected it to cleaned up beautifully. It looked as good as new when we left. It wasn't an expensive one either. We didn't see the point when the children are small, it's just another thing to stress over.

I'm currently loving the wood, and the big pack of squashy floor mats we bought from Costco to cover most of the floor when they're playing, which slide under the sofas at the end of the day.

• MellyMoo
    Beginner
    MellyMoo ·
    • Hide content

Oh you've made me feel better HG! Shame about the marks on your expensive carpet though x

?Poo and wee! Luckily it doesn't show on our green carpet but you still always remember where it was!

• MellyMoo
    Beginner
    MellyMoo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I need this carpet!! It's perfect!

• HavanaBaby
    Dedicated September 2024
    HavanaBaby ·
    • Hide content

Ooh just to add we have 1001 carpet cleaner, it's in an aerosol and it's amazing. I got chocolate on my beige sofa so 1001'd a few days later it and it came right off. Only problem is it can make the rest look dirty ?

• MightyQuin
    Beginner
    MightyQuin ·
    • Hide content

We've got laminate flooring which is perfect with a small child.

I remember one of our friends getting brand new cream carpets in her lounge, for ages we weren't allowed to even have a cup of tea in there. H lodged there at the time so it was really annoying. A house is for living in, I don't see the point of getting furnishings that you have to be so careful around.

• thefuturemrsclarke
    Beginner July 2010
    thefuturemrsclarke ·
    • Hide content

I have cream atm and i despise it. its in my hallway and living room. was here when we moved in and clean as it was a new house, but in only a year and a half its in a state. and i dont even have kids. just a cat. and a hubby with dirty boots. its going in the next couple of weeks and being replaced with wood, which im hoping will last a long time, so if we do have a sprog in the future it will not be ruined x

• Sparkling
    Beginner October 2009
    Sparkling ·
    • Hide content

Terracotta but in a month i will have a house full of beige ones

• *pebbles*
    Beginner January 2009
    *pebbles* ·
    • Hide content

I have dark wood laminate. Perfect with 2 dogs and 2 children.

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

Beech laminate in our lounge, and walnut laminate in the kitchen (darker so hides a multitude of sins!!)

• boogiebelle
    Beginner August 2009
    boogiebelle ·
    • Hide content

We have a fawny colour. Quite light but not cream. Don't quite know how to explain it really. Was here when we moved in and even though it's got it's marks, it's still in pretty good condition. There's been allsorts over it though, red wine, coke, dinner and has always come out with good old vanish.

• Shnarfy1
    Beginner November 2010
    Shnarfy1 ·
    • Hide content

We have laminate flooring which I HATE as our home is laminate throughout. Once in a while I'd love to scrunch my toes into a deep pile carpet of any colour Smiley sad

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

We have oak laminate in our lounge, but plan on getting a big fluffy rug maybe in green or beige to make it feel a bit warmer.

• Petal
    Petal ·
    • Hide content

We have wooden floor throughout the whole downstairs (lounge, hallway, loo, dining room) and tiled floors in the kitchen and utility room. There is no way on earth we would have been able to cope with cream carpets the amount of mess E makes! Upstairs we originally had cream when we moved in but they were so filthy and beyond cleaning we replaced them with a darker beige colour. E has sicked on the upstairs carpet a couple of times and you would never know as it tends to blend in ?

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

Our living room carpet is blue.. That actually sounds a stupid colour, more bedroomy but it goes in here with the blue curtains. Was already here when we moved in.. It now has spots of blood on it in places where my damn cats bring in dead animals!! The dining room and kitchen are both quarry tiled, god knows why the cats bring dead stuff through 2 rooms to put them on the carpet!! Downstairs hall and stairs are beige, quite a nice carpet actually, doesn't seem to show up much muck.

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

Ours is laminate with a brown rug.

• Bubbub
    Bubbub ·
    • Hide content

Mine is a nice oatmeal colour carpet, its a berber carpet though so very hard wearing and ideal for helping keep my dust allergy at bay.

• looneytune
    Beginner April 2008
    looneytune ·
    • Hide content

Ours is a light tan colour, with a brown/orange an red rug.

It is a good hardwearing carpet!!

• slightlymad
    Beginner
    slightlymad ·
    • Hide content

Oak flooring here, ideal with all the kids and pets!

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Ours is a nice shade of Dirt.

When clean, the lounge is a soft gingery, oatmeal, peachy pinkish colour..... (we will replace it with wood) and the hall is supposed to be cream. That will be replaced too. The bedrooms are cheap and definately brown coloured......

joys of living with some one elses interiors on moving in, eh?

• **Pip**
    **Pip** ·
    • Hide content

We dont have carpet anywhere at all in the house, we *might* put it in our daughter's room maybe when it's done but we have a large dog that moults a lot and the carpets were the first thing to go when we moved in!

• M
    Beginner January 2007
    mrslf ·
    • Hide content

My lounge carpet is green. I like it and don't think I would change it.

• FIONATS73
    Beginner August 2009
    FIONATS73 ·
    • Hide content

Ours is a very dark beige colour, on the verge of brown. Its been down 3 years now and can not remember the exact colour. Its great with dogs though, but the carpet cleaner does tell us how dirty it is, and the amount of dog hairs. But its noticable and comes up really clean when done. Think I would like wood flooring in the hall but prob not possible as solid floor and we would step in to front room and kitchen. Bit of of a bummer but hay ho. May persuade hubby one day

• Rusty the Clown
    Rusty the Clown ·
    • Hide content

Our lounge carpet is a biscuit colour.

We got the one where liquid "floats" on the top of it, which has been somewhat tired and tested recently and it's kept clean. We put cream carpet in M's bedroom though, are we mad???

• V
    Beginner June 2004
    very excited ·
    • Hide content

Ours is speckly creamy beinge with a nice burn mark where the log burner spit when the door was open. We usually have a rug in front of it but not this day. Fortunately it was H who did it and not me. He looked terrified when he did it and I just burst out laughing! Shame the carpet was about 2 months old when it happened...

• Cherry Garcia
    Beginner November 2017
    Cherry Garcia ·
    • Hide content

Ours is a kind of burgundy colour. It's not too bad but came with the house, we're not allowed to change it. I'd love an oak floor or a biscuitty colour carpet.

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

I have laminate in my lounge and hall. Carpet was never going to be an option for me, as I learnt how they can be punished when you have kids.

I lived with my mum when I had my son, and her carpet got wrecked, so when I moved out, I got laminate without any hesitation.

I have a rug in the middle of the room, which is where my son sits to play. If he gets that dirty, I can easily clean it, and it's cheaper to replace than an entire carpet if I want to update my decor.

For some reason, my sister decided to have a pure white carpet, it stayed that colour for less than a week.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics