Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
Beginner January 2012

What does salmon taste like?

ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown, 28 September, 2011 at 10:37 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 27

I have only ever eaten the following meat products: beef, lamb, chicken, turkey, pork, cod in batter, tuna chunks.

Anyone else missing or missed out on deliciousness?

27 replies

Latest activity by Alreadymarried , 29 September, 2011 at 16:08
  • T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

Disgusting.?

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

I love cooked salmon but not very keen on smoked salmon, hard to describe it but is has a distinctive taste unlike most fish that doesn't need a lot of seasoning.

I haven't eaten mussels or oysters as I just can't do it ?

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

It doesn't taste "fishy" per se, which is good because I hate the taste of fish. It's a very delicate flavour but very distinctive. I love it!

Smoked salmon has the same sort of flavour but with a smokey (duh!) edge. The texture takes a while to get used to though.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

It depends!

Farmed or wild?

Raw or cooked (and then how it's cooked)?

It's far less 'fishy' than something like mackerel. Very good for you, too.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Are you tempted to come over to the meat and fish side, FTLOMB?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

He he, no. Just marvelling at how little meat experience I actually have (oo-err). I *do* sometimes see fish dishes and drool but never over meaty stuff, not even bacon (the classic vegetarian Bisto moment).

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Ah, the classic bacon test!

It's made me think about what meat I'd miss most. Hmmmm. I shall devote some time today to thinking about it.

• freckles87
    Beginner May 2013
    freckles87 ·
    • Hide content

I'm the same FLOMB, I'm a veggie (have been for 7 years) and don't ever want meat, and the smell of bacon cooking makes me feel sick. But I do sometimes want to eat fish. I miss tuna mayonnaise sandwiches and tuna in pasta dishes. Also, when I read articles about healthy eating, they tend to feature quite a bit of grilled fish and other fish dishes and with wanting to get healthy at the minute, it seems like it would be so much easier if I ate fish!

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

I prefer Salmon to most meats but only baked salmon. i'm not overly fond of smoked and tinned salmon is yuk.

As for bacon, I must be one of the few meat eating people who cannot stand the smell of bacon cooking. I extend that to all swine products, sausages, chops, joints. All smells so rank to me. I can eat bacon or sausage as long as I don't smell them cooking. I can't eat any other pig item though. ? even ham Bleugh!

I've never tried venison and the only birds I've tried are the usual chicken, turkey and duck. Never had guinea fowl, pheasant etc. Never tried rabbit either. I'm not that keen on meat tbh. I'd happily go without. It just makes mealtimes easier to include meat as H wouldn't eat "veggie crap". lol.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Panj, what about the joy of slow roast pork belly?

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

I really don't like salmon, unless it's smoked. Love pretty much all other fish & seafood though.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Have you had it though, Panj?

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

Pork belly is sooo nice. Drooling now, damnit.

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I couldn't put it to my mouth Cricks, the smell would be enough.

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

I love salmon - either baked or smoked is perfect with me Smiley smile

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

Bellypork Nom Nom!

i eat all things apart from offal! but love pate! ?

Love smoked salmon and poached salmon, Love shellfish

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

?

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

I love wafer thin smoked salmon on toast with cracked black pepper. I also love the mini bagels that M&S do at Christmas, mini bagels with cream cheese and smked salmon, mmmmmm.

I like poached salmon, but definitely prefer smoked. I think most people like one better than the other.

• D
    Beginner
    darkivy ·
    • Hide content

Don't like it personally, I always think it tastes of washing up liquid (must just be me!)

• mrs toosh
    Beginner December 2011
    mrs toosh ·
    • Hide content

Salmon is best steamed (zapped in microwave for a few minutes till cooked)....meanwhile melt some butter in a pan throw in some ready cooked prawns (small ones)....and some tarragon...heat through for a few minutes.....put salmon on plate...pour over prawn and tarragon sauce.....it is one of the most popular dishes at the fish restaurant where I work....

Oh and do i like salmon...no i think it taste like raw mushrooms!?

fi

xx

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content

I had been veggie for 22 years until we went to Cornwall this summer and I converted to a pescetarian ? I have been considering eating fish for a few years now but could never pluck up the courage but the fish there was so fresh and looked so healthy and appealing that I went for it and have not looked back. Since then I have tried all sorts of fish; trout, mackerel, lobster, crab, scallops, turbot, sea bass, plaice, cod, dover sole, lemon sole and I can't get enough tuna. I'm having a bit of a mental block over trying prawns, sardines and pilchards though, prawns look so gross and the sardines and pilchards are cat food to me!! Salmon is lovely though, really distinctive yet delicate flavour and like CB said it's not too overpowering like many of the other oily fish.

I can safely say though that I will never, ever be tempted to eat meat, despite how much I adore the smell of bacon cooking!

• mrs toosh
    Beginner December 2011
    mrs toosh ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

try crevettes (big prawns lol) with scallops cooked in garlic butter...the smell is amazing and the crevettes are so meaty and yummy....monkfish tails in garlic butter are my fave tho....i dont like sardines or herrings tho...i cook them at work but wont eat them....if you ever in suffolk look up the Swan Inn at Barnby...it is the bestest fish restaurant in the east of england....the fish is so fresh it is still flapping as we throw it in the fryer ?

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Me, I have no idea what meat tastes like and I don't want to. I have no idea what fish tastes like either but I know most smell disgusting and that's enough for me to know I'll never eat it.

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

I love smoked salmon, it's amazing! I pick it straight out the packet (disgusting but I don't care!). Salmon fillets are ok, not got loads of taste I guess.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics