Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*Mini*
Beginner January 2012

What don't you like at weddings?

*Mini*, 30 of March of 2013 at 17:56

Posted on Planning 550

Its been ages since we did one of these and we have lots of lovely new shiny Hitchers to join in! So the question is what don't you like at weddings? Chair Covers? Horse Drawn Carriages? Men in top hats? could be anything. The fun is to see what you have that others don't like and vice versa. I will...

Its been ages since we did one of these and we have lots of lovely new shiny Hitchers to join in!

So the question is what don't you like at weddings? Chair Covers? Horse Drawn Carriages? Men in top hats? could be anything. The fun is to see what you have that others don't like and vice versa.

I will start;

Matching grooms/ushers/father of the bride

Cravats

Sweetie buffets

Balloons.

Your go.....

550 replies

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

This post doesn't make as much sense now there's a post in between, so:

Mini - It was aimed at Barefoot Beach Bride ?

• O
    Beginner September 2013
    oggers86 ·
    • Hide content

I think I am broken as I cant think of anything I dont like (other than churches which could fall under the category)

Oh and hideously drunk people making a scene (especially when I am one of them ☹️?)

I do however want to ask..

How the hell did you get your cats to sit on command and play fetch??? I tried so hard with mine and got nothing..are they just a bit stupid???

• Honky
    Beginner October 2013
    Honky ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have no idea how you stopped yourself from writing something back to that troll. Full respect.

For what it's worth I'm not a huge fan of flowergirls either. Not all 5 year old girls want to be princesses (i used to hate dresses)

• karenanne229
    Beginner October 2013
    karenanne229 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

All above

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Ah well barefoot, you can be a shitty mum whilst I mourn my failed marriage and naff wedding.

• MrsMcCall2be
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsMcCall2be ·
    • Hide content

I might have a flowergirl, but I want her to wear a dress inspired by daleks. I saw the sweetest picture on pinterest of a little girl wearing a fluffy dress with the gold balls on it, carrying a whisk.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Wow.

I got as far as page 19 and couldn't read anymore. It's an Internet forum that happens to have a wedding theme, this does not automatically make it super fluffy and a place where everyone loves everything, hun. There are other forums which cater for this. Honesty and the odd reality check is what kept me on Hitched and keeps me here now. OMs are a great source of advice and recommendations.

This was a generic post and was started with the intention of a grown up discussion, not all weddings are the same, not everyone likes the same things.

Personal attacks are not necessary.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

?

This thread has #mademyday.

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

Within my first week of posting on Hitched I read a very naff but true quote

'Your day your way' . If you don't like it don't have it, if you do, you shouldn't give a flying f00k what anybody else thinks.

I have read many a thread on here that have really got my back up but I fully understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion and because of this I choose not to comment.

As my old Granny used to say ''If you haven't got anything nice to say, keep you gob shut''

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

When I took my 2 nieces to try on FG dresses the older one got changed and the younger one said "You look like a princess but can I dress as a dinosaur"

?

• Honky
    Beginner October 2013
    Honky ·
    • Hide content

Awwww she sounds like my kind of girl!

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Mini. Thing is, we'll find out later this year if I even *can* be a Mum, shitty or not. Grrrr. Oh, there was also some snide comment about me having to elope. Or some such nonsense about it being of less worth, not sure, I can't be bothered to read it all again. I was so offended I spilt red wine on my new throw. Luckily WineAway saved the day. Again.

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

LoveSka, that's fantastic!! And let's face it, if they're going to dress up, dinosaurs and soldiers seem just as appropriate as fairies and princesses. I like it!

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I didn't train Bertie to play fetch, he just did it himself. As for the sit, just do it as you would a dog. Get them into a meal time routine and use their bowl to get them to lean backwards and eventually they fall into their bottom. As they do this say 'sit' and then tell them they are good and reward them with their dinner. I did it when Bertie was about 4-5 months old. I like to keep his mind occupied as he's an indoor cat. If I meow at him he also meows back Smiley smile

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

I'm really not sure why people have got so offended. Its a generalised bit of fun, no-one is attacking your wedding. Just because I don't like money poems doesn't mean I won't have a good time at a friends wedding. I had a strapless blingy dress. Do I care that other people don't like them? No! Wouldnt it be boring if we all liked the same thing? It's part of life, not something to get precious about on an internet forum.

For what it's worth, Hitched is a supportive forum. But what it doesn't do is write 'oh that sounds great hun xxxxx' times a 100 after everything you post. If you want that, go elsewhere. Being supportive isn't the same as agreeing with everything you say.

This thread has become ridiculous.

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This.

Personally, i wish venue would invest more in decent seating rather making do and forcing brides to stump up more cash to cover something the venues should tacking as part of its service.

For smaller venues that dont host weddings all to offend, fair enough, i can understand. but for bug upscale venues who's biggest turn arounds are wedding. put your hand in your pocket and invest please.

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's why I was so p'ed off about that remark. Some people have no clue, do they?

For what it's worth, and this is coming from someone who does take things to heart, I have never seen this thread take such a horrible turn. Every other year that it's happened, people generally don't get upset and it stays as lighthearted as it was intended to be. This topic is not a new concept.

It's funny, because you tend to find that you'll get one post listing one type of thing, and then the next post says something virually opposite. By the end of the thread you find that most common and uncommon things are not to someone's tastes, but surely that's true of everything in life?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Agreed. And even more interestingly, you'll find comments from some of the detractor's on here, saying how much they dislike something....

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

There are no words.

It's taken me the best part of this morning to catch up with this thread.

• MrsMcCall2be
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsMcCall2be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I wish more of them would have neutral colour schemes. I've been put off pictures of venues with bright blue/red/green carpets, and matching chairs. I'm one of those people who has a very specific colour scheme in mind and it'll clash with any bright colours - chair covers are the only solution, and I'm just saddened that there's no such thing as a carpet cover! What's wrong with nice creams and beiges?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Golly, I am the complete opposite. We chose our venue because of the strong colour scheme (with beautiful chairs!) and worked around it.

• M
    Beginner March 2014
    Mary C to be K ·
    • Hide content

I've had my say about the 'offended' people who came along just to be offensive!

Just wanted to say MultiCat try Debenhams, there's more variety than most including a couple of fishtails

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooooh yeah i see your point. i know some have click together dance floor. wonder it would be doable to do the whole room? hmmmmm but yeah, they're put me off too.

funny since my venue has LOTS of bright shocking colour thats why I'm not fussed about matching (i knew i'd get my rainbow one way or another >Smiley smile )

• MrsA2B2014
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsA2B2014 ·
    • Hide content

My Cat fetches too, we think he's a genius. Or a Dog trapped in a Cat's body. Quite often we wake up in the morning to find him sitting on our chests with his jingly ball in his mouth basically panting like a Dog. Nice to know we're not the only genius cat owners!! Thor meows back too, I feel mental chatting to him but he loves it!

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mav is a fetcher too. He loves it. Weirdo. I've also taught him to give his paw! beat that ?

• J
    Beginner May 2013
    jonesy10 ·
    • Hide content

I am cracking up I have a few of these elements at my wedding hahahahahaaha

Chair covers

Balloons

Sweeties

Bentley

But the ushers/best and groom are not colour co-ordinated

One thing i don't like is a crap pub style buffet!

?

• O
    Beginner September 2013
    oggers86 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with this, one venue I looked at had pink rooms! The majority of colour schemes would clash terribly and it was one of the things that put me off.

Most venues have terrible carpets to hide stains but my argument is couldnt they put down a wooden floor that is almost indestructible, easy to clean, wont clash with colours and just looks much better. I work at a hotel with a red swirly carpet that is still stained or burnt from events, our chairs have also seen better days and are not the prettiest so definitely need covering.

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

I'm very late to this but just wanted to add my cabbage on a few points.

Hate Money Poems, pink, top hats, rectangular top tables, loads more but can't think.

To BFBB I am sorry such a vile comment was said, when I read it, I too was extremely angry, as someone struggling to TTC it hit a nerve but hey ho I know you have thick skin so no harm done Smiley smile

Mini all marriages are perfect..... no?

Sheeltoon (prefer mini's version) You are delightful!

That is all!

• O
    Beginner September 2013
    oggers86 ·
    • Hide content

I am feeling very upset now about my mentally challenged cats.

I did get them to respond to the clicker by clicking and then giving them a treat which meant they came running from wherever they were when I clicked the clicker.

Elsa still does, Elise..not so much, lazy cat.

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

Oh Hitched, how I've missed you!

• BlossomJ
    Beginner July 2014
    BlossomJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Totally agree with this too & the comment about venues investing in nice chairs so they don't have to be covered!

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Then on the morning of the wedding when given her beautiful bolero with sparkly diamante clasp to put on, she cried for 10 minutes because "bridesmaids don't wear cardigans".

Cardigan!!, how very dare she ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics