Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

What fruit\veg are you growing this year?

bobbly1, 24 of May of 2009 at 16:48 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 28

This year I have potatoes, strawberries and tomatoes growing in our garden.

What have you planted this year?

28 replies

Latest activity by Allison Wonderland, 25 of May of 2009 at 19:16
  • Flowery the Grouch
    Beginner December 2007
    Flowery the Grouch ·
    • Hide content

We only have a small balcony, but are still growing lettuces, chillies and peppers.

• B
    bobbly1 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooh nice!

My garden is only 35ft and mainly grass. I have the potatoes growing in an old plastic dustbin that I cur in half, the tomatoes in a growbag, and the strawberries in a big pot.

I found some spring onion seeds I bought last year, so will plant them next week!

• C
    CharlieDaisy ·
    • Hide content

We have bought a small greenhouse http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7201833/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CGarden+and+DIY%7C12107492/c_2/2%7Ccat_12107492%7CSheds+and+garden+buildings%7C12107631/c_3/3%7Ccat_12107631%7CGreenhouses%7C12107632.htm and are growing peppers, strawberries and peppers so far. Picked my first tomato today - lush! Have never grown anything except herbs before so shall see what happens.

• eponymous
    Beginner January 2008
    eponymous ·
    • Hide content

I have no suitable outdoor space at all for growing so am mostly growing herbs indoors this year. I am also experimenting with an indoor strawberry plant to see how well that does.

• Puss
    Beginner September 2004
    Puss ·
    • Hide content

We are growing Beetroot, carrots, Peppers, Mange Tout, Parsnips, tomatoes and pumpkins this year.

We have the mange tout in a corner container with a trellis attached. Everything bar the pumpkins will go in a raised bed (that I am still awaiting the other half of... not amused) and the pumpkins will go in 2 large terracotta pots (the girls have planted one each and are having a race... well I am in their names ?).

• Flowery the Grouch
    Beginner December 2007
    Flowery the Grouch ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Our lettuces are in a window box.

• eponymous
    Beginner January 2008
    eponymous ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Are they indoors or outdoors on the window? We couldn't really put our outdoors but I was contemplating buying a trough shaped pot and growing some lettuce in that. Our windows get lots of sunlight and it seems a waste not to grow things on them.

• V
    Beginner September 2005
    Viva Suzi ·
    • Hide content

We're growing pretty much everything this year because if we don't grow it we can't it. ?However, we are trying sweet potatoes for the first time this year - MIL reckons they are easy but I'm not so sure!

• Flowery the Grouch
    Beginner December 2007
    Flowery the Grouch ·
    • Hide content

They are outdoors - actually they are hanging off the balcony railings, in window-box size troughs. You can sort of see them here. I reckon they could work on indoor windowsills, if you water them enough. It can't hurt to try can it? Lettuce seeds are very cheap.

• eponymous
    Beginner January 2008
    eponymous ·
    • Hide content

It won't do any harm to give it a shot really - my herbs are doing well and I do like having leaves to pick as I need them.

• clair_de_lune
    Beginner
    clair_de_lune ·
    • Hide content

I've never grown anything before but I planted some red and green chilli seeds a couple of weeks ago. The seedlings are just coming up - loads of them- so I'll transfer them as soon as they're big enough.

• polly pocket
    Beginner November 2005
    polly pocket ·
    • Hide content

We finished planting our out yesterday, we have onions, carrots, parsnips, sprouts, sweetcorn, peas, potatoes, and mixed salad leaves.

• Flowery the Grouch
    Beginner December 2007
    Flowery the Grouch ·
    • Hide content

Oh, I forgot to mention our herbs. We have a gigantic basil plant that we grew from seed last year, some mint, parsley and rosemary. Two types of parsley. One lot we bought from the supermarket when i needed some for cooking, then we planted it out, and it is doing marvelously. The second lot we bought from the garden centre and it is dying a slow and yellowy death.

• *ginni of the lamp*
    *ginni of the lamp* ·
    • Hide content

I have dwarf peas, beans (runner, dwarf french and borlotti), carrots (the weird round ones!), lambs lettuce, continental salad leaves, tomatoes, red and orange peppers, cucumbers, courgette, sweetcorn, strawberries and raspberries. I also have wing-and-a-prayer potatoes (I planted some sprouting peelings and they are leafing nicely, so I'll see if any potatoes result!) - all in pots as my garden is quite tiddly. I'm notoriously bad with plants, so I'll believe it's a success when I pick the veg and not before ?.

• *ginni of the lamp*
    *ginni of the lamp* ·
    • Hide content

Eponymous, do you have any outdoor space at all? I saw a suggestion in a Royal Horticultural Society for a vertical garden: basically string up some of that green wire trellis to a fence and wire large-ish plastic pots up and down it and plant up with herbs, tumbling toms, dwarf peas (Thompson and Morgan sell a variety called Half Pint which I currently have growing in hanging baskets), strawberries and chillis. Would that be any good for you? I'm planning on something similar along our fence for my herbs.

• Tweek
    Tweek ·
    • Hide content

I have 2 blueberry plants in pots which I got this year and they seem to be doing ok. Other than that I've planted spinach, little gem lettuce, another type of lettuce I can't remember the name of, spring onions, carrots, cucumbers and peppers. Thinking about growing some butternut squash too, it's a little late though and I'm not sure where I'll put them in the garden as they apparently get quite big and they'll have to be in a big pot each (everything is in pots & growbags simply because the ideal space in our garden for veg needs totally digging out and we haven't got round to doing it yet).

• eponymous
    Beginner January 2008
    eponymous ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooh, that's a fab idea but sadly wouldn't work for us either. At the moment we live in a maisonette flat type thing and while we have a shared outdoor area for drying there is no space that's just ours or is safe enough to put anything out to grow. While I don't think anybody would harm them intentionally we live beside a primary school and a high school and there are a lot of footballs pass by accompanied by their owners and it's just not worth the risk. I am hoping to move to a house with a garden at some point this summer but it's not guaranteed. Once I do there will be no stopping me.

Sadly our local area has no allotments whatsoever but my name is down with the local allotment society (not sure why we have one seeing as we have no allotments) so if any are created I will hopefully be near the top of the list.

• Redbedhead
    Beginner August 2006
    Redbedhead ·
    • Hide content

We have

Blueberries

Raspberries

Strawberries

Apple

Plum (1st year)

Pear (1st year)

Potatoes

Asparagus

Artichoke

Courgette

Red onion

Garlic

Spring onion

Tomato

Peppers

Chillis

Parsnips

Carrots

Sweet potato

Beetroot

Lettuce (2 different types)

Rocket

Basil

Butternut squash (although not sure if we will get these seeds sorted this year)

Cucumbers

I think that is it, although I may have missed something! So far most things are looking good although that is all down to H really rather than me!

• R-A
    Beginner July 2008
    R-A ·
    • Hide content

We don't have any outdoor space at all, but we have basil, parsley, mint, Vietnamese coriander (normal stuff just dies), rosemary and rocket on indoor windowsills, all doing pretty well.

We're also experimenting with lettuce - we've only had ours one day (got a cutting for FIL) but it's already looking a bit sorry for itself ☹️

Next aim is chillies and peppers. Any other suggestions for indoor/windowsill-friendly edibles?

• C
    Beginner June 2006
    Croyde ·
    • Hide content

We have:

Aparagus

Yellow french beans

Peas

Garlic

Shallots

Chives

Globe Courgettes

Tomatoes

Chillies

Spinach

and a large and rambling herb garden!

• Mrs Magic
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Magic ·
    • Hide content

Veg wise, only salad (mixed, lambs lettuce, little gem and mustard) and peas. We've tried tomatoes for the last four years but due to weather and position of garden, we've had no luck. Had to be a bloomin' heatwave this year. ?

We've started afresh with most herbs this year and have flat parsley, curly parsley, purple sage, 'normal' sage, coriander, lemon mint, 'normal' mint, ginger mint, chives, basil, dill, Greek oregano, Italian oregano, thyme, rosemary and lavender. We have the latter three still in the ground from a couple of years ago. We have a bay tree too.

I got this for my birthday, I'm so old before my time. ? /50940/patiogro I love it!

Actually, we also have blackberries, blueberries and asparagus. They are all my MiL's plants though and the fruit is just a little bonus. We've never actually had an asparagus spear to eat over three years! ?

• essexmum
    Beginner August 2009
    essexmum ·
    • Hide content

I've just been to the scout hut to water the peas, beetroot and carrots that I got my scouts to plant out from seeds a few weeks back. They are doing really well at the moment and I know in few weeks I'm going to have to thin out the carrots and peas.

• whirlwind666
    Beginner November 2009
    whirlwind666 ·
    • Hide content

Wow you guys grow loads! I have only 'easy' veg this year apparently, salad leaves (lots of differnet ones) onions, peas, carrot beetroot, potatoes, broccoli, am trying witht he coirgettes, onto my third attempt already! And blueberries, but I doubt I'll get any fruit this year!

• C
    Beginner May 2005
    Cathybabes ·
    • Hide content

I finally got an allotment in March after 2 years on the waiting list so I'm growing pretty much everything and anything to see what works and what doesn't.

Looking good so far for:

strawberries

exsisting fruit bushes which I hope are raspberries

lettuce

rocket

tomatoes (normal and cherry)

potatoes, about 6 different varieties

herb bed - dill, parsley, chervil, thyme, mint, chives, sage, celery leaf, sorrel. I still need rosemary which I'll probaby put in a pot and my mam's promised me a cutting from her marjoram. (the celery leaf and sorrel were a donation from a neghbouring plot holder who has lots of certificates up in his 'shed' for various prizes he's won. I say shed but considering it has a radiator, sink, stove and loads of cupboards it's a bit high end really!

courgettes

aubergines

peas

French beans

onions

carrots

peppers (slightly cheated by buying these in pots from Lidl on Saturday as the ones I grew from seed are making really slow progress)

not doing much just yet but I suppose they are winter crops:

cabbage

broccoli

cauliflower

sprouts

beetroot

leeks

salsify

Of course I haven't got a clue about yields for any of that lot so I'll either be totally overdone with veg by the autumn and giving it away at the allotment gates or eating token portions of things! Actually, for a half plot with greenhouse that's an awful lot of different veggies now that I've typed it all out!

• alleroo
    Beginner January 2007
    alleroo ·
    • Hide content

I've got radish, various lettuce, rocket, 4 types of squash, 5 types of peas, 4 types of beans, courgette, herbs, beetroot, cabbage, cauliflower, brocolli, celletice, spring onions, bunching onions, gooseberry, redcurrant, blackcurrant, potatoes, cucumber, aubergine, and tomatoes so far

can recommend this site for online seeds http://www.moreveg.co.uk/
    ever single one has come up and they're really helpful, friendly and fast delivery

• pinkjay
    Beginner October 2007
    pinkjay ·
    • Hide content

This year we have planted....potatoes, cabbage, carrotts, cauliflower, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, cucumber (I think lol), and a few more that I cannot remember ? So far so good!

• Gryfon
    Gryfon ·
    • Hide content

This year I have:

Broccoli

Carrots (have to plant them yet though!)

Beetroot

Radish

Peas

French beans

Runner beans

Strawberried

Spinach beet

Lettuce

Tomatoes - cherry and normal size

Courgettes - 3 different types

Cucumber - round ones so this should be interesting!

Pumpkins

Butternut squash

4 different types of peppers/chillies

Sweetpeas

Onions

Spring oniones

Mizuna

Raab

Garlic

And various herbs like chives and chamomile.

Can't think what else I have, got to stick some more raised beds in though and Mr G has hurt himself!

• Rosencrantz
    Rosencrantz ·
    • Hide content

I'm growing:

Tomatoes (tumbling hundreds & thousands)

Radish

Rocket

Salad leaves (cut'n'come again type)

Beans (purple queen)

Strawberries

Peppers

Sage

parsley

Corriander

Rosemary

Bay

Oregano

I'm still waiting for an allotment but no joy yet ☹️

• Allison Wonderland
    Beginner December 2006
    Allison Wonderland ·
    • Hide content

Wow, some of you are doing really well.

I have a few bits on the go - strawberries, tomatoes, chillies, potatoes, parsley, rosemary, and I have a blueberry bush that seems to be growing nicely, hopefully it will give me some fruit as blueberries are my guines pigs' favourite treat!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics