Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

moonpie1985
Beginner July 2012

What metal is best for mens wedding band?

moonpie1985, 29 of August of 2011 at 21:13 Posted on Planning 0 26

So i wont have a choice on mine as it needs to match my engagement ring, but OH does have a choice.

What is best (for the money)?

He wont wear yellow gold, so at the moment looking at possibly 18k white gold, palladium, titanium etc...

It has to be a very simple 'D' shaped band about 5mm wide.

26 replies

Latest activity by Twists, 1 of September of 2011 at 17:34
  • Little Miss Tweety
    Beginner August 2012
    Little Miss Tweety ·
    • Hide content

Im interested in this too.

We spoke to several jewellers at the weekend and they recommended either titanium or palladium for gents rings as they are hard wearing.

I have looked into this and i'm really shocked at the choice and the price of titanium rings. They look really good and last forever and come in various different finishes.

Some people have the opinion that Titanium should not be used for a wedding ring as it 'cheap'.

Suppose it comes down to personal prefference.

x

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

I went for a titanium ring - cheap and hard wearing.

Neither of us wanted big expensive elaborate rings, so we went for plain bands, and got us a really good bargain.

Just remember the words in the ceremony - "I give you this ring, as a token". Doesn't have to cost thousands if you don't want it to!

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the replies.

I am amazed at the value of TItanium.

Hoping that OH doesnt mind that it isn't as expensive as white gold, but there is no point spending loads more for a ring that is less hard wearing and will get tarnished/need replating.

Hope he agrees!

• Little Miss Tweety
    Beginner August 2012
    Little Miss Tweety ·
    • Hide content

I'm even considering going for titanium!

My ER is white gold but a funny shape and i have been quote £200 minimum for a plain band to made to fit it. I have decided to wear it on my other hand and get a wedding ring with a little sparkle instead.

My ER is scratches and dull due to wear and tear and I think that it doesnt matter what the metal is as long as you like it. Just struggling to find one that is 4 or 5mm as most them are 7 or 8mm.

x

• A
    Beginner June 2011
    Anne! ·
    • Hide content

We went with Palladium D band 4mm, it was very reasonable priced - much cheaper than 18ct white gold.

HTH

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

I just been looking on this weebsite and they have tons of titanium bands and do all differnt shapes sizes and thickness and styles:

/

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

D will probably be getting a titanium ring. He can wear one in the office but not when he's in the test plants or where they make new cars for customers (he's an engineer) so needs something he can get on and off easily, thats hard wearing and that isn't too expensive that it can't be left in his locked desk drawer when he's in the car plant. He's also into kayaking and his hands are always scratched and calloused and he doesn't want to have to take his ring off then.

He already has one that he wears on his right hand its lasted the last four years and its taken a right battering too. its a tiny bit scuffed but i don't think anything can be done about that.

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

Our rings are palladium, my ER is platinum - there's no reason you HAVE to have the same metal. The only issue is if toy have platinum/palladium/titanium against gold the gold will wear away.

Palladium is becoming a very popular choice, especially with platinum ERs - it looks exactly the same. It doesn't need re-plating, only polishing about every 10 years - but then I kinda like worn WRs as they indicate a long marriage.

Titanium is very hard, but its difficult to resize (its usually bored from a solid piece rather than from a sheet bent round) and it will wear very well. But it's usually dull gunmetal grey rather than bright silver in colour.

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

We have gone with black zirconium. Totally OH's choice. Looks great on him as he wears a black watch and probably always will. x

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

My OH went for a Palladium ring. My ER is 18ct White Gold with one diamond. My wedding ring was advertised in platinum, but i had them make it in the white gold to match my ER. It's set with tiny little diamonds right round the ring which gives it a lovely sparkle. Also means that they should both tarnish at the same rate too so they can get dipped and cleaned at the same time.

• M
    Beginner April 2011
    mrsrh* ·
    • Hide content

We got married in April.

My husband's wedding ring is a titanium ring - we hadn't given it a thought until i was at a wedding fayre and got talking to a jeweller who suggested it. Got my husband's ring in H Samuels for about £80, which was one of the pricier titanium rings they had. It's got a design on it that's him, if you know what i mean !

My ring is a 4mm palladium ring and i love it. Got it form tesco (of all places!) for £145.

• L
    Beginner January 2012
    la1510 ·
    • Hide content

My OH is having a Thungsten ring- it's a bit heavier than titanium as OH didn't like that he couldn't feel his ring when he was wearing it. It's super hard wearing- if OH did get damanged it can't be cut off. This did worry me slightly as OH has a very manual job and spends a lot of time on building sites however it should 'shatter' if say OH does something stupid (like drop a steel gurder on his hand). It was cheap as well - only £89 so worth a look

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

We both got 18 ct white gold rings, and my ER is the same.

I know mine will tarnish over time, but my diamond is the focal point anyway so it won't notice that much.

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

Mine is white gold but H is titanium. Its super hard wearing espesh with his job, and it was pretty bloody cheap which i was surprised at. My friends H has white gold, had it for 3 months and scratched to buggery!

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

My OH will be having palladium we think, we got quotes for it and were surprised at how cheap it was in comparison to Platinum.

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content

Titanium is so bloody cheap!! I can't believe it, is it good stuff though? I mean it won't turn his finger green will it?! haha

• gsijane
    Beginner September 2011
    gsijane ·
    • Hide content

My ER is titanium and i have been wearing it for a year and it has not turned my finger green!!!!!

Mine and OH's wedding rings are both going to be titanium, his is a solid titanium ring with a hollow around it which has a white gold inlay to it, whereas i have a line of diamonds inset into mine!!,

we also have each others fingerprints engraved inside our rings to make it more special.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

We both went for platinum - mine was to match my engagement ring, he wanted the same as me. It's the only jewellery he wears so I was happy to buy it for him as his wedding gift.

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

My OH got a titanium ring, he's been wearing it nearly 2 years and his finger hasnt gone green yet ?

We got it from John Greed on the internet, fantastic service. We got the ring engraved by them too

• W
    Beginner April 2012
    woohoooo ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I already have my ER and WR but was really interested by this thread. I think that the jewellers give quite misleading information about the metals that rings can be made out of. Gold seems to be frowned upon for not being strong enough. I (along with having a full time teaching job) make jewellery on a weekly basis. I learn from a very, very well qualified and truly amazing silversmith. She is always really shocked by the wedding ring industry. Her husband works on films in special effects, spending his days constructing things. He works with welding, and all types of manual labour in his job. His 9ct wedding ring is still almost perfect (apart from having to be cut off in hospital one day and being repaired from this). It has not worn away or tarnished! It has a few scratches, but so it should have after 25 years! My OH originally liked the idea of a palladium ring, but when I spoke to her about this, she laughed at me - palladium and platinum etc. scratch much worse and don't really wear any better (or not noticeably at least). The only thing that she did advise was that 9ct gold was stronger than 18ct so probably a better option, also because 9ct is ~£20 per gram whereas 18ct is ~£50 per gram. My ring is 18ct white gold (and has never been rhodium plated, and never will be and looks lovely just like that - nobody would ever notice the difference!!!)

I hope this hasn't come across the wrong way, but it just shocks me what some sales assistants in jewellers will tell us - I'm not saying that it is their fault - they are only on minimum wage often with no real knowledge of metals!!

Happy ER and WR shopping!!!

x

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

As someone who works in retail, I find that quite insulting....

• W
    Beginner
    Wicket ·
    • Hide content

H and I both have palladium WR but my engagement ring is made of white gold. The ER has become dulled quite easily where as the WRs are still nice and shiny. We got our rings from www.bandsoflove.co.uk though, looking at their prices, it's roughly doubled since we bought them almost 2 years ago ?

• Twists
    Beginner September 2011
    Twists ·
    • Hide content

We are both having white gold for our rings but we got ours from Smooch and they have palladium in them so they dont yellow

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics