Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R-A
Beginner July 2008

What on earth does one wear to an ordination? Help!

R-A, 27 June, 2009 at 13:12 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 4

Aaargh, have properly left this til the last minute.

Going to ordination of very good friend at St Paul's Cathedral this afternoon, followed by outdoor reception.

It not being the kind of thing I go to very often, I have no idea what to wear.

I'm thinking wedding-type outfit? Summery dress and wedges? Have excluded about 5 dresses so far for showing too much shoulder/back/cleavage...

Left it too late to ask him really as don't want to bother him this am whilst he's getting ready.

Any ideas? I know it's quite a long shot!

4 replies

Latest activity by Zoay, 27 June, 2009 at 14:04
  • Melawen
    Beginner January 2007
    Melawen ·
    • Hide content

Think you're on the right lines with wedding type outfit and not showing too much flesh. Could be slightly less formal wear than a wedding perhaps but not too sure!

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

Summery dress or pale-coloured linen trousers and pretty top, I'd say. I wouldn't actually stress too much about cleavage - look how much most brides show ?

• R-A
    Beginner July 2008
    R-A ·
    • Hide content

Thanks both. Am so not a Church person so don't want to get it massively wrong!

Also don't know if I'm expected to take a card/present?

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Blimey. No idea but my instinct would be not - I think it's a pretty solemn occasion.

• Zoay
    Beginner September 2013
    Zoay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I wouldn't think you're expected to bring anything. I'd write a card, but really to put some kind of word from God in it for him, so if you're not that way inclined I don't think I'd worry. And likewise I'd give a book that had inspired me about God, so ditto.

Think you'll find people are wearing all sorts, but what you've picked sounds good.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics