Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

1234ABC
Beginner

What Time do you put on your invites??

1234ABC, 15 September, 2011 at 12:10 Posted on Planning 0 26

Do you put the actual time of the ceremony, or half an hour before it on your invitations? Also, what time do you put on the evening invites? do you specify a time for them to arrive at, or is the time of your 'first dance'?

I'm trying to finish of my invites and as usual, i've been left to work out the wording by myself!

TIA!

26 replies

Latest activity by Mrs_imp, 16 September, 2011 at 09:35
  • *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

We aren't doing evening invites as everyone is coming to the whole thing so I'm not too sure, but on our day invites I put the time of the wedding - everyone should know that they need to be there before that.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Put the actual time of the wedding on there. People will arrive early - apparently the majority of our guests were there half an hour early - and if you effectively make them sit around for an extra half an hour by telling them the wrong time, they won't be happy. If you really want to make sure, you can put "Please arrive by 1.15 for a 1.30 ceremony" or something similar.

For our evening guests, we gave them a time of 6.30. We planned to have the first dance then, but in the end we were running a bit late so had a bit of time to mingle before moving everyone into the hall for the first dance.

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content

We've been told that we need guests to arrive an hour before the ceremony - so I'll be putting something like

"We ask for guests to arrive at the venue for 1pm, for a 2pm ceremony"

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

If I got a wedding invite saying 1pm I'd arrive at about **** for a 1pm service. If I then found out it was a 1.30pm service I'd be a bit miffed at sitting around bored for an hour.

We sent out an info sheet with ours, specifying that if people are late they will not be admitted to the ceremony (because of the layout of the venue), and what time to arrive if they wanted to see us arrive in our posh car. The evening invites say 7pm, that when people are supposed to arrive, although we accept that some poeple will not arrive until a bit later. All the timings are available on our wedding website for people who want more detail than when to arrive.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

A whole hour early? What on earth for?

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

We put the actual ceremony time on the invitation part, then in the additional info we put that they would need to be seated in the church 15 minutes before the ceremony.

I would turn up half an hour before the time stated and would be a bit miffed if that then turned into an hour.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

We put arrive at 1pm for a 1.30pm ceremony, and evening guests arrive at 5.30pm for a 6pm start.

You don't want people wandering in late or deciding getting a drink is more important than being seated when they should be.

After my interview at 1pm, we'll be opening up the ceremony room doors and starting to usher through people to their seats about 1.15pm - partly also to clear the lounge so that Caz can come down the stairs and through to her interview without being seen by the guests (there is no other way through unfortunately). The bridal party will then assemble in the bar area and at about 1.20pm we'll clear guests into the room so the bridal party can get themselves set up in the corridor outside, awaiting the cue from the registrar at 1.30pm to start the music and open the doors.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

We put the time of the ceremony. Most people arrived between 15-30 minutes earlier.

Why do your guests have to be there so early, Tray? Unless you were marrying somewhere that required a security check before admitting guests, I wouldn't turn up more than 30 minutes before.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Agree with everyone else on ceremony time.

RE evening invitations - the norm is probably 7.30 or 8pm. I've got one on Saturday which is 8pm and one on Sunday which is 7.30pm. Even though I'm a very punctual person, I rarely turn up at the time stated on the inviation for an evening do. I normally turn up half an hour later so don't expect everyone to be there in time for your first dance.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Surely that's disrespectful to the bride and groom though? If they've asked guests to be there at, say, 7.30pm for an 8pm start, there are good reasons for that and as a guest you shouldn't second guess them that it's not important for you to be there on time - notwithstanding, of course, unforseen problems like accidents on the motorway.

We have a tightly planned day that, if evening guests turn up late means they will miss out on important parts that we want them to be there for, and as we've gone to all the trouble of providing these things, it might feel that they only came along for the free drink and food which I would hope nobody would be that rude to do.

• Jayned
    Beginner May 2001
    Jayned ·
    • Hide content

You put the time of the ceremony on the invitations. It's a wedding and guests will normally turn up a little earlier than the time on the invitations anyway!

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not a bluddy clue - just what we were told by the co-ordinator - which is why we are having welcome drinks and canapes

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

I tend to arrive half hour after the start of an evening do or any party... Purely because if I've got there on time then I've always been one of the first there!

I was trying to work out when to start our evening do, but am stuck!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Most evening parts to a wedding tend to be 'from 7.30pm' rather than specifying that people have to be there at that time.

• Michelle772012
    Beginner July 2012
    Michelle772012 ·
    • Hide content

I have put the time of ceremony on invites but on a seperate sheet of info asked guest to kindly arrive 20 mins before so that they are not hanging around outside when i arrive as for my reception its at the same venue as wb and have asked for guests to arrive for 7.30 i would expect most to turn up around this time so i can get 1st dance out of the way at 8pm then i can relax ii hope x

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

We've put the actual ceremony time on our invitation then added a line in the additional information about arriving a bit early.

For the evening we have put 6pm as I want the evening guests to get as much out of the day as possible too. We aren't doing our first dance until 7pm.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If the evening reception is structured like yours is, then I'd agree, but most evening parties are just that - a party. There are no set times for anything. Like Nurse Bride said, I'd hate to be the first there and like Mrs C said, it's usually from a time rather than at the time.

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

I really do get a bit confused about how different weddings work - I certainly learn something new every day on this forum, every wedding I've ever been to follows the same structure, and certainly locally people just turn up when they like and never ever plan to be at the wedding dance at the time stated. I don't know if ours is going to say 7:30 or 8pm yet but I know for a fact nobody will come until about half 8. Apart from obviously the family and friends who will be there all day - in saying that every local wedding dance I've been to the bride and groom have entered later than stated to do their dance, hence I usually don't miss it! Seriously though I think people up here are worse for it, they're late start late finish people. We'll be partying on til after 1am no doubt and the locals wont even think about get dressed in their wedding gear til at least half 7 lol

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

Cheers ladies and gent!

I've decided on this text.

RKB and Mr RKB
    Request the pleasure of your company at their marriage
    On Thursday 15th December
    at 2pm
    and to dance the night away
    from 7pm til late
    at 'Insert Venue Name'

R.S.V.P

and the evening invites say

RKB and Mr RKB
    Request the pleasure of your company at the evening reception
    to celebrate their marriage
    On Thursday 15th December 2011
    from 7pm til late
    at 'Insert Venue Here'

R.S.V.P

The bus to the venue will leave at 6pm from Glasgow and it will take about an hour or so to get to the venue. We plan to have our first dance at 8pm so that we can meet and greet guests as the arrive, and give us a bit of time to mingle with the day guests too.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think the evenign wording is fine, but just a query about the day wording. You've put that the evening reception is from 7pm - what are they doing in between? Are you having a sit down meal? If I received an invitation with that wording, I'd assume that I was invited to teh ceremony, then had to go away again until 7pm! If you're having a sit down meal following the ceremony, I wouldn't bother with the 7pm bit, I'd just put the venue.

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know, i wasn't really sure about this. I have put an option on the day RSVP's to specify if they can only make part of the day. I don't want them to think that they're excluded from the evening if they can't make the day....or am i just be a bit over the top? (i can't decide). Anyway, that was the reasoning behind why i specified the evening time.

• Michelle772012
    Beginner July 2012
    Michelle772012 ·
    • Hide content

I would just put

and after at ........ for wedding breakfast on day invites and pop an extra line onto rsvp for Evening Only on day rsvp's

with a note explaining if they cant make day but still want to come to eve they are welcome as long as they tick the box

HTH x

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content

On the invite we have put 2:45. Then on guest information we have put "Please be seated by 2:45pm for the brides enterance at 3pm. Out of respect to the bridal party the church doors will close at 3pm and reopen once the service has finished"

That may seem a bit odd but my family has a really bad annoying habit of turning up late. I hate it and find it so disrespectful. The last thing I want is people walking into the church once the service has started. Our priest is a stickler for time keeping

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with your thinking. I will have to walk down a big staircase to get to my ceremony room which means any late arrivals will see me on the way down with my dad and BMs' as they walk through the Grand Hall which I don't want. I may ask the co-ordinator to not let anyone in until after I have gone in then they can sneak in afterwards.

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content

Hi, RKB!

On the day invites we have put the actual time of ceremony [most of the wedding books we researched and the Stationer (Natalie at Inspire Me Designs - HIB) advised this], but for the evening reception we put 6:30 pm which is the time evening guests can start to arrive. It is apparently assumed that people do know that they must arrive early for the reception, out of common-sense and curiosity to see the groom and bridesmaids arrive if not out of courtesy for not disrupting proceedings by arriving as the ceremony starts!

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

We have put 4 in the invites, but the ceremony will be at 4.15. We are providing soft drinks whilst people wait though, so if they arrive early at least they wont pass out in the sun! We needed people to arrive before so that we can get them seated and so that I can get to the right bit of the venue without anyone seeing me.

• You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics