Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Wuzzle
Beginner

What was the best/most thoughtful wedding present you received?

Wuzzle, 6 of January of 2009 at 12:05 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 28

My best friend is getting married in a few months and I am being her briedsmaid. I want to get them something really special as a present but am drawing a blank on ideas. She loves chocolate, so I was going to buy them one of those chocolate making workshop things, but now she wants to do that for her hen night.

Please inspire me..... ?

28 replies

Latest activity by Arcturus, 24 of April of 2024 at 08:48
  • chuckie
    chuckie ·
    • Hide content

My best and most used present is our dishwasher! Because we'd lived together for years we didn't want a new dinner service, toasters etc so doing our wedding list was a nightmare.

Loveliest present was 2 crystal wine glasses with our names engraved on them but the problem is I'm too scared to use them because I always break things ?

• Zebra
    Beginner
    Zebra ·
    • Hide content

My friend commissioned a drawing by a favourite artist, it has a zebra and a penguin representing me and H. ?

• Tilly Floss
    Tilly Floss ·
    • Hide content

Honestly? Do they have a list? Buy something from the list, or vouchers so that they can get anything they really wanted that didn't get bought.

I know this won't be a popular response on OT, but if they made a list then it's because there re things the need or would really love to have.

We had a lot of lovely "non list" gifts, but tbh I don't know what to do with most of them. My cbm had a water jug and goblets made for us, it's unique and lovely but I can't display it with small children around, it's too good for everyday use and i we have guests there aren't enough goblets to go around.

Honestly we were most delighted to unwrap a roasting dish and oven glove as they were things we really wanted.....

• chids
    Beginner
    chids ·
    • Hide content

The most thoughtful gift the we recieved was actually given to my H from my uncle and H then had to give it to me.

Aparently it was some pin from the war that soliders used to give to their loved ones when they went away. It's quite old and i must ask him the real story behind it but it's very nice.

We mainly got money as wedding presents but we bought a Wall unit for the lounge to put a few nice glasses and other bits that we had about the house in. When we went on honeymoon we bought an ornament to remind of us the honeymoon and put that in there too.

• N
    Beginner September 2008
    nutfluff ·
    • Hide content

The best wedding present we got was a digital photo frame - fantastic it is.

Since you mentioned the chocolate - I got my best mate and her husband membership to the 70% club for 6 months as a wedding present. It's a chocolate thing, where they send you samples every month with notes on each type of chocolate etc. There are others - Hotel Chocolat does something similar I think, only with potential new chocolates which you give your opinions on, rather than the raw stuff they use for blending. They loved it and renewed the subscription when it ran out.

• teenybash
    Beginner February 2008
    teenybash ·
    • Hide content

The most thoughtful present was a painting bought for us by a friend of S's parents. He bought it a few weeks after we announced our engagement (a few months before we even set a date, and almost a year before the wedding). He was at an auction and thought we'd love it - which we do - and even brought it over to the wedding for us. it's a beautiful oil painting of sea/clouds/lighthouse and it really gave me a lovely feeling to know that he'd bought it just because he thought we might like it and took a gamble. i've no idea how he got it over on the plane though - although i have a funny feeling he booked it a seat.

• Mrs Magic
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Magic ·
    • Hide content

We were so lucky and got so much lovely stuff. We didn't have a list and as we didn't live together before getting married, people were giving us more in the traditional sense of wedding gifts helping us set up home, including lots of people who weren't at the wedding.

The best things we got:

A hand carved wooden blanket/storage box from BiL (best man)

Start of a gorgeous dinner service (6 x dinner plates, 6 x side plates and 6 x bowls) from my then best friend (bridesmaid)

An contemporary Edinburgh Crystal bowl and matching vase from my honorary auntie (mum's best friend)

Royal Doulton every day dinner set from another honorary auntie

2 different Viners cutlery canteens from two other honorary aunties.

An electric tin opener from my mum's colleague. ?

My bridesmaid is getting married in June and I don't know if she is having a list or not but if she isn't, I'm going to get her a set of contemporary crystal glasses.

• S
    Scarlet Fifi La Voom ·
    • Hide content

We got mainly money for our wedding.

But I think a digital photo frame is a great idea. Giving them a memory stick of photos people have taken through out the day. So that if they want, they can view pictures taken of the day when they go back to their room (or where ever they are spending the night) that night, as I was dying to see some pictures of our wedding day.

Hope that makes sence?

• jelly baby
    jelly baby ·
    • Hide content

I agree with what Tilly said, if they've done a list then those are the things they want so would suggest buying off the list.

However, my best friend also gave us 2 newspapers from the day we got married (one tabloid, one broadsheet) which was so nice and a real momento to look back on. Since then we have done a memory box for each of our friends that has got married including newspaper of the day, order of service, their name place cards etc and given it to them the morning after.

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content

We went to a wedding recently where the B&G had asked for money (no poem thank god). i dont believe in giving money so i gave them john lewis vouchers. the money was stated on the invitation to be for the honeymoon, then when i talked to the best man, he told me (whilst shaking his head) and it was for a new motorbike for the groom. never have i been so glad that i didnt give them cash.

• JK
    Beginner February 2007
    JK ·
    • Hide content

A metal chicken by Mr JK's best mate. Hilarious. We love it.

A massive cheque from Mr JK's granny. We spent it on our honeymoon, which was an unexpected bonus as we'd planned to fund it ourselves.

• AngelFace123
    Beginner November 2007
    AngelFace123 ·
    • Hide content

Our best presents were 2 tickets to see Liverpool at Anfield and a set of 6 crystal glasses which have been used more than what I ever thought would be!

We also were very lucky to be given a lot of money as gifts from our guests which we put towards some really good furniture for our house which we hope will last forever!

• Michpuss
    Rockstar May 2004
    Michpuss ·
    • Hide content

Most of our gifts were on our list (apart from about 10 people that each bought us crystal vases!).

But my best friend was travelling around the world for two years and wasn't going to be at the wedding. I didn't expect to hear from her but she sent us a beautiful embroidered table cloth from somewhere around the China/Pakistan border. I was so touched. It wasn't an easy thing for her to find a post office and send it.

• K
    Beginner July 2005
    KayJBee ·
    • Hide content

A set of 6 clay bowls made and decorated by our friend (she did a degree in sculpture or something similar). They all have either our names or the date on and are lovely. She was going to make us one but couldn't decide what to put on it so she did several 'practice' ones and ended up giving us all of them!

Apart from that, we really wanted the things on our gift list.

• Champagne
    Beginner June 2007
    Champagne ·
    • Hide content

Our best presents were US $ (that we asked for along with a small Argos gift list & B&Q vouchers) which we used to pay for excursions on our honeymoon which were very memorable and enjoyable. We also appreciated getting things off our gift list as we needed them.

Some random gifts like some brass photo frames; a decorated wooden salad bowl & servers and gold champagne flutes have never been used and are in a cupboard somewhere so unless you know them really well, stick to what they've asked for!

• R-A
    Beginner July 2008
    R-A ·
    • Hide content

We had a very non-specific 'list' at e-weddinglist.co.uk which just said things like 'a nice vase', 'bed linen' etc and by and large we were proved right that our friends and family have pretty good taste ?

We made our invitations - made of a sketch H did of us - and my Mum got us a beautiful handmade plate with the design from the invitations copied on with our names and the wedding date. We're not 'decorative plate' people but it's simple and beautiful.

For my bridesmaid's wedding I was totally skint, and I didn't want to get something crap, so i wrote out in calligraphy one of their wedding readings and framed it.

• NightOwl
    Beginner
    NightOwl ·
    • Hide content

Outside the gift list we were given some silver Georg Jensen homeware stuff, like bowls, salad servers, salt and pepper pots and a bottle opener and they are absolutely beautiful! They are so modern but still classic, I love them.

• Stelly
    Beginner April 2004
    Stelly ·
    • Hide content

Gift voucher for a really expensive and excellent restaurant in NYC (we live near NYC). The meal was out of this world and we would never have gone there if not for the voucher. We still rave about that evening, 5 years later.

Otherwise I do really appreciate the crockery and stuff that we got from our list, we use it every day.

• feathers
    Beginner January 2007
    feathers ·
    • Hide content

We also received many lovely things not on the gift lift which are sat in a cupboard. However one thing we received not on the gift list was a replica of our wedding invitation insert on silver. It is beautiful and sits on the TV stand.

• MD
    Beginner
    MD ·
    • Hide content

I wasn't living where I was born/raised and got a picture of a landmark from 'home' - loved it!

We also got a wine/champagne selection from a friend and that was lovely to come home to.

When I was last bridesmaid I bought the couple a digital photo frame and loaded our pics from the day onto it ready for when they opened it.

• Wuzzle
    Beginner
    Wuzzle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi TF, no gift list unfortunately, so I haven't got a clue what they want. May try and quiz her the next time we're together and find out if there is anything housey that would be good for them to have.

• Wuzzle
    Beginner
    Wuzzle ·
    • Hide content

Right I've looked through all the suggestions and there are some fab ones.

MD they also live away from home and I know she is always saying how much she misses it, so perhaps I could get them something related to that.

The digital photo frame is also a fab idea. I'm just getting to grips with my dSLR, but intend to take lots of photos on the day and I could put them on it before I give them it.

? all for your suggestions.

• kath79
    Beginner November 2008
    kath79 ·
    • Hide content

Some of the best presents we received were:

* A 7 course meal (a course in every restaurant) in the Burj Al Arab (we stayed in Dubai as part of our homeymoon). If that wasn't plenty, it was also organised for us to be driven there and back in a white lexus!

* A beautiful crystal and silver decanter with our initials and wedding date engraved onto it

* A big fat cheque from H's Aunty

* A year's membership to the National Trust

* Currency for our honeymoon - it meant a lot that people had made the effort to find out where we were going and bought currency instead of sterling/cheques/vouchers.

• Charlene
    Beginner April 2023 New York
    Charlene ·
    • Hide content

The best wedding present cost ME money. It was having the people I wanted to show up and share my day present. That was worth the cost of catering and cake. The best personal wedding present cost me nothing. I married him. That should always be the best part of the day.

• Everett
    Beginner August 2022 New York
    Everett ·
    • Hide content
    What was the best/most thoughtful wedding present you received? 1
    My best friend and bridesmaid had this stunning watercolor painting made to commemorate my husband's and my relationship from where we met, to first date, favorite places, all the way to honeymoon. The artist did the most incredible job, it's perfect. Over a year later and I still admire it regularly. I will love it for the rest of my life.
  • M
    Illinois
    Marc ·
    • Hide content

happy-wedding-day-happy-wedding.gif

Contact Hack Recovery support on; hackrecovery(AT)yandex(DOT)ru for your stolen Bitcoin, Ethereum and other digital currencies recovery services and if you are finding it difficult to access your wallet or mistakenly send funds to a wrong address.
  • P
    East London
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

I remember my friends prepared a murder party, it was very cool!

• E
    New South Wales
    Edvin ·
    • Hide content
    Hi, about a week ago my ETH was transferred to a wallet address I do not recognize. I never did this nor do I approve the transaction. I feel like I have been hacked/phished. I was able to trace this address and recover my coins when I contacted support on, hackrecovery [AT] yandex [D-O-T] ru. I really appreciate their level of professionalism and explanation dealing with this issue.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics