Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

What was your favourite wedding present?

3 September, 2008 at 19:52 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 33

As the title really. We got a fab present from a friends - a case with six bottles of different wines and champagnes, with little notes telling us what occasion we should drink them on! It was so lovely and thoughtful.

They're getting married soon and I want to get them an equally special present but I'm struggling for an idea. They like wine, but they have a relative who works in a wine shop and gets them good wine all the time!!

the only other idea i had was a picnic hamper with some nice champagne - the bride mentioned in passing the other day that she might buy one with their wedding money. But, is a picnic hamper a silly pressie that'll hardly be used?

So, what was your favourite present?

33 replies

Latest activity by Kevind, 9 January, 2024 at 11:04
  • Melilot
    Beginner
    Melilot ·
    • Hide content

A welsh love spoon, and a gift bag with the No 1 single, album, dvd and book and a copy of The Times, were my favourite gifts (to be honest most of our friends stuck to the gift list).

• raspberryjam
    raspberryjam ·
    • Hide content

One was a hamper full of wine and nice food for us to take on our break after the wedding (we rented a cottage in cornwall) and the other was a night at hotel pellirocco which had been booked for 6 months after the wedding, it was an awful, awful place but we had a fab time in Brighton and the idea was lovely.

Edited for rubbish English

• Champagne
    Beginner June 2007
    Champagne ·
    • Hide content

To put into context, we had a small gift list at Argos or asked for US $ for honeymoon excursions and B&Q vouchers for garden furniture.

The best pressies were US $ which we enjoyed spending more than our own money on our honeymoon and were keen to let people know what we'd done with their generous gifts from boat trips to a picnic delivered to an isolated beach to diving to massages.

On the other hand, some guests, esp evening, bought us classic wedding gifts like glasses, a salad bowl with servers and photo frames, none of which was to our taste and which we will prob never use.

• Spring
    Beginner February 2008
    Spring ·
    • Hide content

A spa weekend

• Peaches
    Super January 2012
    Peaches ·
    • Hide content

My husband

• Peaches
    Super January 2012
    Peaches ·
    • Hide content

? Expected that!

One of my favourite presents was (is) a glass block with a picture of the both of us in from our wedding day. We had only a few at our wedding in Dubai, and our friends went and had this done whilst out there the day after the wedding. They had 'Peaches & Mr Peaches together forever' inscribed.

Sounds twee, but it's really lovely. And of course, we will be together forever ?

• F
    Fussy Galore ·
    • Hide content

Hmm we had a load of lovley presents, lovely wine from my sister and brother, SiL got us a night in a suite at the Hilton for the night before we flew off on honeymoon ( we had a few days gap between the wedding and honeymoon and were planning on just driving to the airport on the day we flew out but this added an extra day onto the honeymoona nd was very nice!!)

What about paying for them to have a meal at their fav restarant (we have done this before either through vouchers or by arranging with the restaraunt to pay the balance of the meal the next day.. )

• whitty1
    Beginner December 2003
    whitty1 ·
    • Hide content

The most unusual, and most useful since, present we received was a garden shredder from my Gran! It's been used so, so much on both our last house and our current jungle.

• Elle
    Elle ·
    • Hide content

I had a few...

A few days in a private bungalow at a posh hotel for the start of our honeymoon,

The engraved plate with hand written messages round the edge,

The spa session for me and H so we had something to look forward to after the wedding/honeymoon,

2 carved wooden ducks, one snuggled into the others neck and standing on their foot.

• H
    Beginner
    hutchy12 ·
    • Hide content

We asked for no presents at our wedding so there was not that much to choose from, but one of our favourites has actually been a very swish corkscrew so if your friends like wine they might like it too. I can't find the exact model online but it was something like the LM-2000 on this site: https://www.lecreuset.co.uk/category.aspx?CatID=1. It's so smooth to operate it's a joy to use and its design is very sleek.

• Lili Donkey
    Beginner July 2006
    Lili Donkey ·
    • Hide content

Our honeymoon was our wedding present, which was wonderful and left us with so many lovely memories, however a couple of years down the line I have started to regret, just a little bit, that we did it that way, rather than have actual gifts...

Thinking about it now it would be lovely to have things around the home and think "so and so bought us that" - I think it's been prompted by having to choose gift list items off of clients wedding lists.

Anyway, I'd have loved a hamper - something we could keep and re-use for years and years and pass down, especially if it had come full of goodies.

• Mal
    Expert January 2018
    Mal ·
    • Hide content

Cash ?

• HaloHoney
    Beginner July 2007
    HaloHoney ·
    • Hide content

This:

• raspberryjam
    raspberryjam ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So Cute ?

• deliciousdevilwoman
    Beginner November 2007
    deliciousdevilwoman ·
    • Hide content

We didn't have a gift list or put out feelers(personally, I don't agree with it).

In the main, we got vouchers-for nice stores. A few gave us cheques. All gratefully received and put to good use.

I suppose the most unexpected present was from the Inlaws, which was a cheque to cover the cost of our honeymoon. We were really bowled over by their generosity.

• C
    Beginner January 2012
    carolinabena ·
    • Hide content

My husband just said me.awww

it was really nice to have things i wouldn't normally feel happy spending lots on. like a super nice cutlery set, or our dinner service, or the huge amount of gorgeous Nigella baby blue kitchen stuff we were kindly given. and my husband of course Smiley smile

• Stelly
    Beginner April 2004
    Stelly ·
    • Hide content

We had lots of nice stuff, but best of all was $300 towards dinner at the restaurant Daniel in NYC which was the top rated restaurant at the time (perhaps it still is, I don't know). We were stumped as to how we'd spend all that money on one dinner for two people, but we did.? We still talk about that meal....

When H's cousin got a new house we did the wine bottles with notes thingy. We paired up the occassion with the wine name or label and attached little notes tied with string to say what they were for. It went down very well.

I would love a picnic basket (since I have plenty of storage space), perhaps with a bottle of bubbly and a gift card for a nice deli so we could get picnic food. Yum.

• hazel
    VIP July 2007
    hazel ·
    • Hide content

? MrH would have been divorced if he'd done that ?

We also got given a case of wines chosen specially and it was a fab present.

• Melawen
    Beginner January 2007
    Melawen ·
    • Hide content

If you go to http://www.richardgodfreyceramics.co.uk/ and click on gallery - we had a gift very similar to no 5. Richard is a friend of ours and it was created for us. Another friend bought us some mugs from Richard which he put our names on. Amelia has one too but without her name on.

• bettyb
    Beginner July 2006
    bettyb ·
    • Hide content

A little bit cheesy but my uncle asked us to pick 6 of our favourite photos and then got them made into place mats and coasters. Obv he told us that we wouldn't get the present until after the wedding. We actually use them reguarly on the kitchen table.

A gift I have put togther in the past is a pamper type set. A nice bottle of wine, two wine glasses, a mushy love CD, scented candles, relaxing bubble bath and a tenner for a takeaway.

• MD
    Beginner
    MD ·
    • Hide content

We got a wine selection like that and loved it too!

I would definately use a picnic hamper - I've been looking for one I like for the last couple of years, so I think it would be a lovely present.

We got a picture from my mum of the area we are local to (wern't living there at the time) - loved it!

• hope
    Beginner June 2007
    hope ·
    • Hide content

Our leather recliners they are sooo comfortable - we bought them with some of the money that people gave us

• N
    Beginner September 2008
    nutfluff ·
    • Hide content

I got my best friend membership of the 70% club for a few months - they got chocolate every month with tasting notes and information about where it comes from etc. There are other places that do stuff like that (hotel chocolat is one I can think of), with actual chocolates for you to taste that aren't available in the shops yet. 70% club sends bars of chocolate that gets used in blending, so a little bit different and you can't get it in the shops. She and her H loved it - said they'd learnt to appreciate chocolate much more!

• R-A
    Beginner July 2008
    R-A ·
    • Hide content

Very houswifely, but I love our Magimix food processor and it's been used so many times already (married 8wks).

In terms of sentimentality, my mum took our wedding invitation (which we'd made ourselves) to a local potter, and asked tom to make a plate with the design from the invitation, our names, and the wedding date. I'm not a decorative plate person in general but it is really lovely and obviously very personal.

For one of my best friends' weddings, when we had hardly any money, I wrote out in calligraphy the readings and vows from their wedding into a nice book, which I think they appreciated.

Hamper sounds good - especially if she seems to be hinting at it! (Why not put it on the guest list though?)

• Mrs Magic
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Magic ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is a superb idea!

I'm not sure what ours was really, we didn't have a list and got lots of lovely stuff, mainly practical. It was probably a set of Royal Worchester Jamie Oliver dinner set from my BM/best friend.

• pink alien
    Beginner May 2008
    pink alien ·
    • Hide content

Our knives and carving set they are global ones and we would never have spent the money on them, but they are soooo lovely to use! Or a hotel break for 2 nights from my brother and sister which was part of our honeymoon. Although my Auntie also gave us a cheque for £100 which she called frivilous money which wasn't to be spent on anything practical - which was a lovely treat.

I love the idea of the top single, album etc though.

• A
    Beginner August 2007
    alison76 ·
    • Hide content

My favourite, and probably most used, was 2 hand designed mugs.

We're both big rugby fans - I'm english, H is welsh. One mate, with the help of her mum, hand painted on 2 white porcelain mugs the respective rugby emblems of each country and our names. On the bottom of each mug it has Alison76 & Mr Alison 76 and the date of our wedding.

So simple and yet so personal and thoughtful. We use them every day.

• Clodders
    Beginner July 2007
    Clodders ·
    • Hide content

Our wonderful Vw camper van,we use it all the time and love it.It was used as our wedding car also and then declared as ours..woo hoo

• R-A
    Beginner July 2008
    R-A ·
    • Hide content

Oh and our piano is pretty awesome ?

• M
    Beginner January 2007
    mrslf ·
    • Hide content

We didn't have a gift list, but most of our wedding guests bought us vouchers for stores or gave us money. The best present we got was an electric tin opener, this was bought for us by one of H's auntie's who didn't have much money, but insisted on buying us something anyway, despite us telling her that she didn't have to buy us anything and just to come to the wedding.

• chids
    Beginner
    chids ·
    • Hide content

Mine is my slow cooker (how sad am i!!)

• K
    Beginner May 2007
    Kegsey ·
    • Hide content

We were given sizable cheques by my parents and my grandparents and we used the money to buy all the lounge and dining room furniture. So thats all in use daily which is fab. Most presents we got given were from our gift list (which are lovely but they are things we chose!) but H's brother went off list and bought us a set of crystal glasses and decantor. Totally not my style and not something I would have every bought but we love them.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics